My Daughter Refuses to Take Medicine with Out a Fight

Hi moms. Im hoping that someone might have an idea or can steer me towards something that works. My daughter has had a cold for almost a week now. Thursday 11-13, she ended up in the emergency with hives on her legs and arms. Happens to be a reaction to a viral infection. I now have to give her motrin when needed, a steriod 2 times a day and benedryl when she gets the steriod or if needed before. She is 21 months old annd fights tooth and nail with taking her medicine. I have the 1st years syringe and if she sees that or the one that comes in the motrin bottle she runs. As of right now it takes 2 of us to hold her down and give her the medicine, which in turn she usually spits out or makes herself gag and throw up. With my oldest he took a bink and he had the pacifer dispenser. My dd wants nothing to do with a bink, so that is out of the question. Im afraid if I put it in her juice then she will take forever to drink it and not get all that she needs. Not like she is now with the way she spits it up. I dont want her to have bad experiences with medicine. I tried to make a game out of her taking it and she wants nothing to do with that either. Help me please I dont know what to do to make it more pleasent for her let alone me. I have to give her a bath every time she takes it b/c she gets it in her hair. Any ideas are welcome. Im at my wits end and its only been 1 day with all three medications. Thanks in advance.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I ended up trying the little bit of juice in a cup since she usually drinks from a regular cup without a problem. I swear she new it was in there even though she was still in bed when I put it in. She still fights us with everything she has. I even went out and bought a new medicine for her so that she could do it herself, well needless to say that she wont touch it. I got a feeling that it will be a fight for a long time. Thanks again for all the responses

My daughter hated the syringe, too. I have found that a dropper works better. I think that the issue is that a syringe shots the medicine into their mouths and that feels scary. When I use a medicine dropper, my daughter (18 mos.) takes it willingly and sucks it right out.

Unfortunately, the steriods usually taste pretty bad, so that may also be a deterrent, and motrin is REALLY hard on the throat (I taste everything my daughter takes, just so I know what she is dealing with. - Just a lick, mind you.)

I always have a cup of water at the ready so that the second my daughter takes the medicine, she can rinse the taste out of her mouth.

HTH,

A reward to go with the medication would likely help. Most kids respond well to having more control over the situation so allowing her to take the medication on her own, or at least help can make a big difference. Some people find that distraction also helps, either engaging her in an activity and pairing it with taking the medication. Lastly, some kids just hate the taste so experimenting with different flavors and/or allowing her to follow the medication immediately with either milk or juice can really help. Good luck!

My son was 2 1/2 when we needed to start giving him daily medications. The first month was a battle until we found something that worked. For the yucky tasting ones we fill a shot glass 3/4 full of juice - usually really strong lemonade or fruit punch (from a mix) but sometimes also snow cone syrup. Then we add the medicine, stir it in and use an oral medicine syringe to administer it. If any meds remain in the bottom, we add a bit of water, mix it up and use the syringe again. We've been doing this for two years and it has worked very well for us. We also expalined to him that he was sick and that was why he had to go to the doctor so often and that the doctor gave him this medicine to make him better. We used a lot of praise and a sticker chart to motivate him as well. Best wishes!

This is one idea--what about a freezer pop to sort of "freeze" her taste buds a little & then try small squirts from the syringe in between freezer licks? I know with my dog (I am NOT comparing your daughter to a dog!) they told us to aim the syringe far back so he would just swallow--not much chance to spit it out.
See if you can find a pharmacy to flavor the meds. Also ask if you could mix with applesauce.
As for the other post about "scaring" her--my son used to completely freak out with cutting his toenails. One day he happened to come with me to the podiatrist. After that, I told him if he didn't let us do it the doctor would have to do it and he uses a looooong shaaaarp blade! Sounds cruel but it worked like a charm. Good luck. This is tough.

I had the same problem with my kids! I would put a very small amount of juice in a cup and then put the medicine in it and let them drink it with a straw. Apple Juice works well to cover up medicine taste. It worked for my kids. They didn't mind taking it because they couldn't taste it (yes, I told them there was medicine in it). Good Luck!

You have fallen into the oldest trap in the world-- a power struggle with a toddler. Check with the pharmacist and see what is safe to put the medicine in-- juice, applesauce, oatmeal, etc and see if they can be combined. You have to get it into her. Another option is to get one of those medicine spoons and see if she'll take it from that, rather than the dropper. I'd also try a little reverse psychology... tell her she can't take her medicine, that you want it instead, and pretend to drink it. Maybe enlist your son and have him take some "medicine" (juice, really) and get some kind of treat for it. My guess is that she'll be begging for it within a day.

Hope she feels better soon.

I did it with a syringe and had a table spoon handy in case she spits it out. I would not make a big deal of it and be honest. say i know not tasty but the yuckier the medicine the more it works.

with my son we had many of the same issues. I sit him down and tell him I am sorry he has to take medicine. "No one likes to." Tell her she needs to take it so she can get well. Tell her the Dr. is afraid that if she does not take this medicine that she will get MORE sick and will then need even MORE medicine and may have to go to the hospital and get a SHOT! or even have to spend the night there. I know it sounds mean to scare them, but in a sense, you are not lying totally. I then tell my son, if he is a good boy and he takes his medicine real quick, I will give him a lollipop to get the yucky taste out of his mouth. Some times he agrees and sometimes not. either way, I try to make it as painless as possible and use the syringe and squirt it in the back of his mouth and have a drink (her favorite) close at hand so she can rid her mouth of the taste. Good luck, I know how hard it is. My son loves lollipops, so this is a great tool for me. Maybe for your daughter it will be goldfish or something else, but make sure it is something she really likes. A bribe is never ok....unless it is used in this case lol

I think the juice with the straw idea sounds great, but if that does not work maybe talking to your pharmacist to see if you can get a flavor added. Also my 21month old stoped liking the syringe but will use the medicine measurung spoon now since it is more like drinking out of a cup, but it seems like your daughters issue is more with the flavor than the method or maybe its both!Trial and error to find the right combination.

HTH,

1 / 3