Help! My 15 Month Old Spits Out His Antibiotic!

My 15 month old son just got put on an antibiotic today for an ear infection. He's really sick, with a high fever, and even diarrhea and vomiting with it. The dr. said at his age he needs the antibiotic to help him get over the ear infection. The problem is, I can't get him to take it. I couldn't get him to take any tylenol either today for his fever. I have my husband help hold him still, and I pour it into his mouth, but he spits it all back out. I have tried pouring it into the pouch of his cheek, but he still spits it out all over. I don't know how to get him to keep it in his mouth and swallow it, and the poor boy is feeling so sick. I don't know if I should try mixing it in something he will eat, because I have to give him 1.5 tsp of the medicine, which is a lot of liquid to put in something. Any suggestions? I want my poor boy to get better. Thanks.

Well, I tried all the tricks with him. I blew in his face, which worked a little. We used the syringe, tried squirting it down his throat, it didn't work really either. When I mixed it with something, he'd throw everything up. Today he started getting more fussy, and was rubbing at his ear really hard. I called the dr, since almost none of his medicine went down him this weekend. They told me to bring him back in. When the doc examined him today, he found that now both of his ears are infected, bad. So he gave him a shot of penicillin in his little hip. Hopefully that will do it. He's also mild to moderately dehydrated. Now I need to take care of that. Thanks ladies for all your advice. I sure have one stubborn little boy. Thanks for responding.

I know this sounds horrible, but insist that the docotor administer a shot of meds. My daughter has gone through this process so many times, and her ears have gotten so bad that there was puss in them. She hates medicine, after going to the er 3 times the doctor gave her a shot, she was better the next day. I think this is last resort, but my daughter can tell the difference in taste when I mix the meds and spits it out as well. its hard too because they are not well so even more cranky, so sticking something they dont like in their mouth makes it worse! I hope this helps
ang

My dad is a pediatrician and recommends this trick: Use a dropper instead of a cup, which you place between their teeth towards the back of their mouth, and squirt out the medicine (a little at a time so they don't choke) until they swallow it all. Keeping their teeth apart prevents them from spitting anything out. Good luck!

I don't know much about perscribing but as a mother of six and six grand kids I do know a little about giving medicine! Try putting it in a lttle of his favorite drink. If is is liquid no problem. If it a pill grind it up. If you don't tell them they don't know it is medicne.

I sometimes use bribery and I let my one year old do it herself. At first when she wouldn't take it I would bribe her with a chocolate chip or something small like that with every little bit she took. So I would only give her a little at a time then the chocolate chip then more medicine until it was gone. I would also sit her on the counter so she cant go any where and explain to her were staying her until the medicine is gone. Ask him if he likes being sick, ask him what he wants if he wants to feel better. Explain to him thoughtfully that he needs it to get better so he can do certain things that he wants. I believe our children understand alot more than we give them credit.

I always use a dropper. It helps get it to the back of the check where it is harder to get it back out. Keep him lying down till he swallows. While you are doing it it might help to distract him with a toy or something. Hope that helps.

We had the same problem with our 5mo. old and tried all kinds of tricks. Someone told us to blow in his face so he will swallow since he can't breathe when we blow. Sounds cruel but it did work. We also tried pinching his cheeks together multiple times after putting it in. That also worked sometimes. He finally just took it as we would drizzle it towards the back of his throat and talk to him.

~ J.

Does your son use a pacifier? I haven't tried this yet, but I've seen a pacifier that has an opening in the back to put medicine in, then they drink the medicine as they suck on the pacifier. I'm pretty sure Babies R Us sells these, and probably other stores too. Good luck!

Hi T.
I'm a mom of 4 children age range from 20 to 4. All my children hated taking their meds. So my procedure is as follows:
1. I sit on the floor with the med ready for delivery. Also bring with you his favorite book, toys, blanket or whatever will lure him to you. of course don't let him know you have the med.
2. Do the activity, ie. read book, play with cars etc. After that do step.
3. While you are still on the floor lay him on his back with his head between your thighs, still talking nicely to each other.
4. Then put his arms and legs under your legs firmly. (his arms will be under your thigh area and your ankles over the lower part of his leg)
5. Get the med ready to administer, plug his nose with your fingers, get the med in as far back as you can at the check side. He will be forced to swallow. Then continue being the great mom that you are. Step 5 happens very quickly. Of course he will catch on to the routine. However, I was alway able to get the med down in that fashion.
Good Luck and don't give up.

When I was little I had to take some horrible tasting liquid and horrible tasting pills. Mom did mix the liquid with some of my favorite things. 2oz. Pepsi and 1 oz. medicine and after I drank it I was promised a small glass of Pepsi all by it's self. Or some times I got the liquid in just a little water with a dash of flavoring like orange or cherry and in the bottom of the glass was a couple of lifesavers. I had to drink the water to get to the lifesavers. The pills were sometimes mixed with a little jelly or orange marmalade. After that my reward was toast with cinnamon and sugr or what ever I wanted.

My 6 year old daughter is just terrible when it comes to medicine too. How I get her to take her medicine is to hide it in juice or yogurt drinks. Another thing that works is suppository style Tylenol, it works great when you need to get the temp down fast, at least it seems to work much more quick than any other way. She also takes vitamins and supplements every day and I buy the capsules or crush them and add it to peanut butter sandwiches or soup.

I've had the same problem with my now 3 year-old when she was younger. The problem turned out to be the type of antibiotic - it was very bitter tasting. I think it was augmenten. I called the Dr. and they changed to a less potent antibiotic, but better tasting.
That might not be the problem though if he's refusing tylenol as well. Due to my previous experience, I know you can mix antibiotics in with food (pharm. rec. milk, juice or ice cream) but you have to make certain they will eat or drink the entire thing.
Best of luck!

1 / 3