My Daughter Has a Mustache

My daughter has a mustache and she's only 7. She's always been a very hairy child, but it has gotten worse, especially on her upper lip. I don't know if I should address this before she starts getting teased (she's already been teased for her "unibrow"). I wouldn't even know HOW to address it. No way I'm waxing my child, no matter what. Should I get ahead of this before it becomes a problem? The unibrow comments really hurt her feelings.

*sigh* Help me, mommas, I'm at a loss on this one.

EDIT: since so many people have asked, I'll share why I'm opposed to waxing. Because it hurts, and she doesn't want it (I've asked). My daughter knows I get my brows waxed, and she's watched me do it, and she's seen other little girls do it on Toddlers and Tiaras. After the unibrow comments, I asked her if she wanted to try it and she said NO. Trying to foist a painful procedure on a little girl to fix a cosmetic problem she doesn't even know she has...surely that cannot be the right answer.

Go to a dermatologist that has an esthetician who does laser hair removal. Have the dermatologist look at her skin and determine if laser therapy is okay for a child her age. Then have them do it. Don't go to a spa - the doctor in the office is best for this.

If the dermatologist says she should be older, ask about waxing. They can do that there instead. I wouldn't try home waxing either - no way~ My younger son's unibrow was waxed from the time he was 12. I've been giving him laser for the past few months to totally get rid of his unibrow. He really appreciates it...

I am glad that you are willing to help her. I always wonder why some moms dont. There has been a girl or two teased for this in my kids classes. They dont have to be teased if their mothers would help them :( I hope you find a solution that works for you both.

If she is getting teased, it's time to do something about it. There are many ways to remove hair, some permanent, some not.

Females shouldn't have mustaches, so I don't understand your unwillingness to wax it. What other way do you intend to "get ahead of" this?

Sorry, but if she's being teased, it's time to wax, or find another way to remove it.

I would wax it. That hurts a lot less than being teased. Aside from removing the problem there is nothing you can do. It is, I am sorry to say, something kids will pick on other kids for. You can tell the school to protect her but that will cause her to be teased for that.

Sorry my daughter is a bit on the hairy side too. Thankfully she is also olive skinned so you don't really notice it as much since her hair is so fine. Still in a couple more years she will have to wax because she won't have that fine little kid hair and it will show.

M.,

Your daughter may have a hormone imbalance and could be going thru early puberty. Have her checked out by your doctor.

As for her excessive facial hair, I heard on NPR that if you start waxing unwanted hair before 12, you will stunt the growth of the hair in that area FOR LIFE! So you would be doing her a favor by doing it early so that it won't be as thick for the rest of her life. She will thank you for that. Think about it, if you are doing it, she will do it eventually. What woman wants to have a unibrow or hairy upper lip? In middle school they will tease her. Girls are cruel, like it or not, it is what it is. All you are doing is postponing the inevidiable. Please don't send her to school like that at her age.

Research studies have proven that if you do it early it won't be as bad later. But once you miss that window of opportunity, it is gone forever. If she is hairy at 7, imagine what she will look like at 16.

I worked with a summer intern that was 20 YO and she had a beard, mustash and the hairyist arms I have ever seen on a woman. I was shocked!

You are not entering your daughter into a beauty contest you are trying to spare her a life of shaving her face. Sure it will hurt, but she will have to endure all kinds of agony for the sake of womanly beauty. We all do. Yes we want all girls to love the body they have. We fix crooked teeth and fix lazy eyes. If the facial hair is too much, wax it off.

I agree with Rosebud. Take her to a good place and have her eyebrows and upper lip waxed. If she has darker hair and a lot of it, this will be a fact of life for her, no way around it. If you go to a place like European Waxing Center, they use high-quality wax (which means it will not hurt as much, since it only sticks to hair and not skin), and it's such a quick process. Why make her suffer like this when there is an easy and inexpensive solution?

If you are unwilling to wax, you could opt to thread, epilate, tweeze, laser, or bleach. Sorry your dd is being teased.

good luck to you and yours,
Fanged Bunny

Jo is right, waxing hurts less than teasing. There are several ways to remove facial hair and I certainly think that you are right to get ahead of it before it becomes MORE of a problem.

Bleaching can be very hard on a child's skin, Nair can cause major irritation. Laser hair removal is ideal, if you are willing to pay the price. And absolutely DO go to a dermatologist for a consult- that was excellent advice! Otherwise, waxing isn't bad. You can do it at home if you like.

Best of luck!

I would try the new Oil of Olay facial hair remover. It's pretty gentle. You could try it on a small section of skin 1st to make sure there is no allergic reaction.

1 / 3