Facial Hair and Pubic Hair on a 10 Year Old Girl

My barely 10 year old daughter already has pubic hair and has dark hair on her lip. She told me tonight that another girl said "you have a mustache" to her. She was crying and it just broke my heart. I had already told her that tomorrow I would go see if I can find some facial hair bleach. Do you think this is anything that I should call a doctor about? I have other daughters and they didn't ever have this. My 10 year old has always been a little on the hairy side though. She has a lot of hair on the nape of her neck too. I just feel so bad for her. Kids can be so mean!!!

I am definitely going to call the Dr. tomorrow after reading more about it on different websites and on here. I hope it is just a simple imbalance. She is such a sweetie.I guess I should have clarified that she has had a few pubic hair since she was 8, but told me now that she has a bunch:-( Her lip isn't horribe and I will talk to the doctor (he was out today). Maybe I will just bleach her lip....I don't know. She is definitely going through puberty!

She may have a hormone imbalance. My daughter has a friend who produces too much testosterone and she has the same issue and she goes to a hormone doctor. It is cleared up for the most part now.

It is normal for girls to show early signs of puberty by the age of 10, my daughter was younger than that when she started getting public hair and 11 1/2 when she got her period. That's not a concern. If she is being teased for facial hair, then yes, I would take cosmetic steps to deal with that, a mild bleach or depilatory.

My husband is from India, however he is from the lighter brown, and fairer skinned stock. I am Germanic, and Native American decent American. My mother was black haired, blue eyed and fair of skin. My father (mostly native american) was dark skinned white with black hair and eyes. I am red haired, gray eyed and fair with blonde body hair. I hit puberty at 10 and needed a bra at 9. I had leg hair, and pubs too at 10. Thankfully all my body hair was very light blonde, and while it was noticeable at 10, it never changed, and at 20 I was still able to get away with not shaving cause it was soft, and never noticeable. Not till I had kids did that change. I had a mustache, uni-brow, and neck fuzz. I shaved that with an electric shaver and back in the 80's there wasnt cool things like laser treatments but I hear they work super well. My oldest sister looked like a man from Sicily. The amount of hair and color for her was horrendous. She goes through huge amounts of money and time getting rid of the hair. Its everywhere. She is a hairy woman. She was teased so BAD in HS. My mom took her to every doctor, used every cream, tried everything. No avail.
Now I have kids of my own, with the ethnic combo, my oldest is olive complected, dark chestnut hair and black eyes. She has a coating of black and brownish red hair. On her back, neck, arms, and legs. Its soft fuzz and told that it should dissappear soon, I HOPE so shes going on 5 now. She has a bit of fuzz on the upper lip as well but only can be seen very close up. My second girl is 2. White Blonde hair, Ice Blue eyes, and skin so fair white you can almost see through, and NO body hair to speak of, her eyebrows are so fair you could almost say she doesnt have any. My 14 month old son, was born with hair down to his neck and hair all over, I would say he is going to be a hairy boy, even if his dad is not hairy. I think he will get it from my side. All her hair may go away once her body settles into its rhythm, maybe not its the genetic card that will tell you. The good news? in this day and age there are SOOOO many things to use and try. I am sure one will help. Good luck with that, and yes I agree KIDS are mean cause they are raised to be. Anyone outside the norm is teased. My 2 year old gets teased already at parks and playgrounds for a lazy eye and a dented forehead (Craniosynostosis)

Kids can be so mean. I use an electric shaver to take off my light mustache. I bought it years ago for my legs but it didn't work very well on leg hair, but it's great on facial hair - one or two light sweeps and it's gone, and of course w/ no irritation or redness. I have short hair, too, and have used it to trim up the back of my nack between haircuts. .

My daughter has jet black hair, and at 7.5 already has a lot of hair on her upper lip. It's still fairly light, but along with her brows, will probably need to be waxed within the next couple years. Fortunately, she hasn't noticed yet, but I know it's coming soon.

My daughter was an early bloomer just like me. She got her period just a month shy of her 11th birthday. I've been taking her to have her lip and uni-brow waxed for at least 2 years. I think some kids are just hairier than others.

Could be hormonal but also could be insulin troubles. I would def talk to her doctor about it. If at all possible, talk to him without her in ear shot. That way she doesn't think Mom think's something is wrong. We wouldn't want her to feel even more self conscience. Good luck. Hope everything works out in the name of health! :)

My daughter (13) and I both haver really dark hair and tried the bleach, but it didn't really work. We like the Olay hair remover. It seems to work best. It is a two step process and it doesn't burn or cause irritation. We have to leave it on for the full 8 minutes, but then the hair just wipes off. You're so correct that kids can be SO mean. I went through it when I was young and when she started getting teased, I decided not to let her go through it. Best of luck to you!

1 / 3