My 22 Month Old Takes Forever to Put to Sleep

My daughter is now 22 months old. I have never tried to let her cry it out. We used to rock her to sleep until she was about 18 months. When we were able to transition from rocking her to sleep to staying by her side, holding her hand and having her fall asleep, it feels like a great step forward. However, I recently had a second baby and spending 1hr+ holding her hand at nap time and night time just isn't viable anymore - at least not without me going insane. Does anyone have any recommendations other than crying it out? I have heard of the "shuffle" but am not sure how it works and if it works.

I have 3 boys and 1 more on the way. I found that giving them a blanket and warm chocolate milk at night has eased there way into sleeping. Keeping it a routine. I let my 2 year old pick out his bedding and PJs, he gets so excited about this.

Glad to hear you're anti CIO... I have such a difficult time even hearing about that method. We did the family bed until my son was 3.5, it worked well for us. I don't know that I would recommend changing anything too abruptly, you have just brought a new baby home and your daughter may feel pushed aside due to new baby. I really liked what Rebekah C had to say and her idea of laying down with her while you nurse the baby... however I understand if that makes you feel like you're taking a step backwards... why don't you just pull a chair over and nurse the baby while you are holding her hand?

After an adjustment period why don't you try going from hand holding to placing your hand on her (back, side, shoulder)... then from that to just sitting there next to her, then maybe only stay till she is in that in-between sleep place, tell her you will be back to check on her in 5 minutes (or just tell you you are going potty) if she notices you going.. anyway, I think you get what I mean, baby steps... 22 months is still a baby after all :)

Oh, and don't bother with Baby Wise... The AAP is up in arms over the Author's practices.... he isn't even a Doctor! Dr. Sears was my expert of choice, here is his site: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

Here is a great article you can cut and paste: http://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/137936-harvard-r...

cry it out...be patient...

Consider laying down with her while you nurse the baby or sleep with both of them.Look up Dr Sears " night time parenting" published by la leche league. Maybe get a bigger bed put a twin next to yours Before we all got so concerned about ? Children slept with their mama, it wasn't a big deal and everybody slept a whole better . .. Think about how animals care for their young espeacially the primates and how humans beings developed when did at what point in our human history did we begin having these unnatural expectations of little ones ? I think you'll find it was VERY recently and everyone is complaining about sleep deprivation - hmmmm

Fyi - it seems the mamasource community is 'split' about 50/50 on this

About this age, my son went through this, too. In his case, he did everything he could to extend the night time routine - 1 more book, 1 more drink, sit on the potty, ... At this age, he was too young to respond to reason. My pediatrician suggested setting an egg timer when we started the bedtime ritual and when the timer went off, telling my son it was time to go to sleep. This was a miracle for us! My son would immediately turn off the light when the timer rang. We soon started using it to get our notoriously difficult napper to go down for naps. As he got a little older, and started stalling before bedtime, we'd set the timer to encourage him to hurry to brush his teeth and put his pajamas on so we could read books before the timer went off.

my son now 2 weeks from 2 was always in my bed because i nursed him for 14 months and i dont think he ever slept in his crib. when we got him his toddler bed he was all excite but he still wanted to sleep with us. we did the sit near by until he fell asleep routine for quite a while but i know i have to get him to not need that anymore because we are expecting in may and i dont want to be where you are. theonly advice i have for you is to establish a solid bed time routine. we have bath at 8:30 brush teeth at 9:00 then he picks 2 stories to be read in bed with his favorite stuffed bunny and then when we are done we turn out the lights and turn on either a soft rock or jazz radio station. having a routine helps him wind down and know that it is time to sleep.
up until about a week ago i still had to sit and wait for him to sleep before i could leave the room but usually by the 2nd song (about 10 minutes) he was out. now i just get him all settled in and tell him i have to go potty or let the dog in or whatever to get out of the room and i dont come back and he has gone to sleep on his own every night this week. quite the accomplishment for him. it is hard, the routine thing we established about a month ago so it does take time. also my husband is not allowed to do stories, i have to. i dont know why, but whatever. we never had a schedule or routine before that and i kept thinking it was all hooey but it really does help. good luck

Oooooh, queasy flashback to those nights spent trying to get my oldest to sleep! My husband and I were dead set against the "cry it out method" - he still had memories of listening to his nephew cry for what seemed like hours, while everyone sat around in anguished silence and tried not to interfere...
But then came our first, extremely active child. She never wanted to sleep. Life was too much fun, naps and sleep were for wimps. We would be up with her until 1 a.m., because as soon as we put her down she would yell. We were a frazzled wreck, and by 18 months #2 was on the way. So we relented, a little bit. We set a wind-down time where the toys were put away, the lights turned low, and reduced the stimulus as much as possible (we decided we would "become boring"). Then we would put her in her crib, spend time singing to her and getting her comfortable, then leave. Of course she yelled. We came back after a few minutes to reassure her we were here, but that it was time for sleep. We kept returning to reassure her, but added "wait" time in about 5-minute increments (visit her after 5 minutes, give her a pat, talk to her, but don't take her out of bed, then leave and come back in 10 minutes if she is still complaining, and so on). The first couple nights were horrible, but after a week or so she was sleeping when we put her down - usually she would fall asleep while I sang to her. Our theme was, we love you, we are here for you, but it's sleep time.

I have a story for you...I have a 3.5 yr old who still will not nap/sleep without assistance. Her story is very similar to yours...she was always rocked to sleep, then we graduated to laying down with her in bed, to sitting bedside rubbing her back, then to being in the room sitting on a chair...all of which takes an enormous amount of patience and energy. My husband and I jokingly refer to her room as "the black hole" because whos ever turn it is to put her down seldome comes back out to have a normal adult evening...glass of wine, watch a movie, read a magazine kind of thing. The added challenge is that we also have a 2 year old son who from day one has been sooo easy. In retrospect, our Daughter took up so much of our time and energy to put to sleep that our poor sons wimpers where ignored unintentionally to the point where he learned very early to put himself down. If I had to do it all over again with my daughter, I would have let her cry a little more and been firmer with her and not let her negotiate as much (more tough love). Hope this helped.

We had this problem with both our kids. For a period of time we had both a one and four year old to put down at the same time in the same room. For us the crying it out created more problems because of apartment living and later the second child who needed to fall asleep too.
I started using a bedtime routine that was the same every night with included the bath, drink of water, a story, some cuddling, and all lights out. I gave myself some extra time to put them to sleep so I'd have time left over to do some grown up stuff.
This took a while but we stuck to it and I was able to slip away by replacing my hand with a favorite cuddle toy or a flashlight. I used a big pillow to replace my bulk next to her.When possible we had all activities, lights, and noise cease before bed time. Later, we were able to bring them back slowly and quietly after we had them down.
When it was just my daughter, she would get up and come to my bed and I let her fall asleep there, later I transferred her to her bed. This stopped after a short while and she then stayed in her own bed.
When my son came along we used soft jazz music every night. After a while, I found that the jazz seemed to make it go quicker. We did not to let them wind up with television and physical fun before bed.
We also introduce lights out with music and some glow in the dark or light up toys for them to use in bed as they got older. We had this stars and shapes that whirled around on the ceiling that they loved.
The important thing is to relax, use a soothing touch and tone, make it enjoying to go to put them to bed for them and for yourself. This too shall pass and they grow up and you move on to late-night bliss again. I hope some of this helps you.

1 / 3