My 13 Mo. Old Has a Fever of 102 with No Other Symptoms. Is She Sick?

Hello Moms,
My daughter has had a fever since last night. IT started out low grade and was easily treated with tylenol. At 5 this morning she had a fever of 102. She has continued tao have fevers off and on all day, but she has NO other symptoms. She is happy, energetic, playing as usual She seems a bit tired today, but I think that may have something to do with me waking her up at 5 to give her Tylenol, remove her pajamas, and put a cool cloth on her head ( in attempt to break her fever). She received her 1 year immunizations two a week and a half ago.. could this be the cause? OR is she about to get sick?? She has had a high fever of 104 before without any symptoms and about 24 hour later, she was terribly sick and she even had a febrile seizure. I am concerned we are about to go down this path again. But I am FREAKED out about the H1N1 virus being a possibility.

I'd take her to the doctor to rule out anything serious. I believe they can test for H1N1. It will give you peace of mind (which is well worth the trip to the doctor).

I'll agree that it seems to be a common one right now. My daughter had high fever (up to 103.6) for two days, with no other symptoms. It responded will to fever reducer and she seemed to not be in much discomfort. She's fine now (a week later).

I think H1N1 is mostly respiratory, though it sometimes is accompanied by fever.

Could it be teething? I think it sounds like the right timing and without other symptoms, I've found the fevers are usually related to teething. Do her gums look swolen? Does she have a clear runny nose or lots of drool? This might be the cause...

Elevated tempuratures , even low ones, mean some kind of immune response is going on.

I know tylenol brings down a fever, but it also totally masks other illness symptoms. For example, when my 2 yr old had a kidney infection and came down with a very high fever, I gave her tylenol twice a day. In between those dosings she was lethargic, inactive, not playing, not eating, and could barely stay awake. After a dose of the drug she was up and playing- acting like her normal self... For about 4 hours, then the illness symptoms were right back after it wore off. Dosing with tylenol can actually made you think she is less ill than she really is.

You could try to let her go off the tylenol long enough that you can identify any other illness symptoms, and write them down for your doctor.

Fevers in the higher ranges, certainly 103 -106, typically point to a more virulent infection of some kind.

You can try giving cod liver oil and raw coconut oil, 1 tea each, every day. Here is a good article:
http://www.westonprice.org/basicnutrition/codliveroil.html

A fever is a sign of imbalance in the body. Give her more water alkaline water it is the best as it will absorb in her body on a cellular level. I have some other recommendations that will help her to release toxins from her body and regulate her body temperature.

If you would like to learn more let me know.

N. Marie

My son had his one year shots and the nurse said 10-14 days after the shot he may have a fever ... Due to the MMR or one of the other I cant remember

You should call your doctor anytime your child has a high fever.

Hi J.:
I have been told by drs and hospital personnel that anything over 101 is considered a fever for a child. However, teething can cause a fever too so if your child seems okay it could be that but I always err on the side of being concerned and call the pediatrician and do as they say. Good luck!

She is probably just having a fever, but :

Call the doctor in the morning and get the doctor's opinion.

She may have an ear infection. In my experience a fever always warrents a trip to the doctor. My guy had very similar symptoms and it turned out to be an ear infection.

Hope she feels better soon.

1 / 3