My 1 Year and 9 Month Old Son Still Doesn't Talk

is it ok if my 1 year and 9 month old son still doesn't talk? he walked when he was 14 months old, i'm guessing his speech is also delayed. he only babbles and doesn't even say "mama nor dada"

Before you get up set or hire an army of advisers:
read:

The Einstein Syndrome/Bright children who talk late.
by Thomas Sowell.

B. v.O.

I'd call the pediatrician and let them know, then ask for referrals for early intervention and for speech therapists. It seems to me that a child that age should at least be saying mama or dada.

www.littlebitquirky.blogspot.com

Maybe, but don't you want to know for sure? You will likely get many people who say he is a boy, or that their neighbor's coisin's child was the same and is now perfect, but kids with delays look just like kids who will beat the odds and out grow it. How do you know your child is one of the kids who will?

I would go ahead and get a speech and lagnauge evaluation with a private therapist, and call EI to help you in your state also. EI is fine, but it will not be all that any child needs to maximize potential, and they put of therapy for many kids who need it because of budget cuts, so you don't want to depend on them for everythink your son may need.

Don't take chances with development. Find out for sure, because there is one reality that is undeinable...if you can get early intervention, he will be far, far better off than he would be if you miss it, and maybe he will be like that neigbor's cousin's kid and (after a little therapy) will be just fine!

I have been there...I regret waiting to see. Don't wait.

You can talk to your pediatrician about getting him evaluated for speech therapy, but my son didn't really start talking until he was 2, and even then, noone started understanding him until after his third birthday. He's 6 now, and totally perfect and smart as a whip!

Hi T.,
My name is D. W. and I am a Speech and Language Pathologist working in Newport Beach, CA and I am happy to answer your question.

At 21-24 months of age a child should be:
- using two-word phrases frequently
-using new words regularly
-relating personal experiences verbally
-using 3-word phrases occasionally
-referring to themselves by name
-using pronouns occasionally
-and at the least using 50 total words

Saying "mama" or "dada" meaningfully is a 9-12 month old developmental milestone. If your son is not babbling or saying 'mama' my heartfelt suggestion is to seek out a Speech Language Pathologist and get your son evaluated soon, so that he can improve his speech and language skills quickly. Make sure your therapist is fun and can engage your son easily. Also, ask your therapist to provide you with family education so that you can help your son at home too! The best approach is a team approach with the parents and the therapist! :)
Best of luck,
D. W., M.S, CCC-SLP
Spectrum Speech and Feeding
www.SpectrumSpeech.com

My 18 month old doesn't talk much either. I think the only reason she says "no" is because she has a 5 year old sister and she's heard it so much from her. We'll hear a "mama" or "dada" in her babbling, but she doesn't repeat it or use it properly yet. There's a lot of pointing and head nodding and shaking. The important thing is that she understands what I'm saying to her and can do simple tasks when requested: "Go get your babydoll/shoes/coat." My husband said, "I think you should work with her more," because he believes our first dd spoke more by this age. She didn't, but even if she did, there's no comparing, even with siblings. And I guess you can talk to your child, read him/her books, even do the "Your Baby Can Read" stuff, but the fact is, babies talk when they are ready to talk. I'm sure your son is communicating with you though. Have you taught him any sign language (please, thank you, more, cup, eat). Also pay attention and see if he's actually repeating his babble. Sometimes he'll be saying something over and over but because it doesn't sound like any "real" word we just dismiss it. You never know, your son may just be one of those kids who just starts speaking in full sentences one day! : )

Oh, and BTW, walking at 14 mo. is NORMAL, not delayed. My first dd, who is now a very normal and very chatty 5 year old walked at 14 months too.

Here are some articles on the prelinguistic stage that I think would be useful for you read so that you can determine whether or not you have cause for concern.

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Building_L...
http://languagedevelopment.tripod.com/id16.html
http://www.nationaldb.org/documents/products/PMT.pdf

A child who is 1.9 and is not talking is not, in and of itself, cause for concern. But if that child appears to not be developing prelinguistic skills, I would definitely book an appointment to have him evaluated with a speech therapist and get his hearing tested right away. Your State's early intervention program can provide you with the services you need, free of cost, but there's usually a bit of a delay from the time you actually make the referral and the time you actually start receiving services and you may not want to wait, so see if your physician can give you a referral for an ST and hearing evaluation ASAP.

Good luck to you and your son.

read:

by Thomas Sowell.

B. v.O.

I would think that you should at least bring this concern to his pediatrician the next time you have an appointment. One possibility could be that he is hard of hearing , that could delay his speech. Do you make it "easy" for him to get away without using vocabulary? Don't "guess" at what he is wanting, try to get him to SAY what he wants: " What do you want to drink sweetheart?" Don't frustrate him to the point of tears or tantrums but if he indicates with pointing or motions that he wants milk...try to get him to say "milk" before you give it to him. I also agree with the other Mother about the use of sign language. If you go online and google "baby sign language" and you will find tons of websites that will teach you how to get started. Our oldest daughter and her husband have used sign language with their son ( now 28 months old) from the day he was born and he had a "library" of probably 150 signs that he used before he was able to speak. Even though his spoken language is flourishing now, they will still occassionally ask him "is there a sign for it ?" when they aren't understanding what he says.
I don't think this is something that you need to be in a panic about but I would talk it over with his pediatrician and get some really informed feedback from him/her.
R. Ann
PS one day, you will look back on his pre-speech days with fondness when you hear "but Mom...what's THAT!!!" for the hundreth time that hour!!! lol

www.littlebitquirky.blogspot.com

1 / 3