MMR Rash

Does anyone have experience with their little one getting a rash after the MMR Vaccine? My 15 month old got a firey red rash less than 24 hours after the shot. My doctor doesn't seem concerned and said to only worry if other problems come up. Since then, in the past week, she has developed a cough and now in the past two days a fever. Over all she just hasn't been herself the past week... very moody and clingy. It's difficult.. because I think she is also getting a molar in... so maybe that is mixing in with the symptoms?!

Should I be as concerned as I am... or just wait it out as recovery from the shot... and a cold/teething?!

Thoughts?

Thank you everyone for allowing me to be concerned! Fortunately, the rash has now cleared up (about 2 weeks after the MMR) and the fever/cough went away about a week ago. Like some of you said, there was a lot of TLC needed to mend this little one back to health.. but we all seem to be doing well now!

At 15 months my daughter also reacted to the MMR with a rash. I was told that it is very common because it has a trace amount of live virus. It went away, but still makes you worry, so much controversy over vaccines. I will tell you though, my daughter had not received her "full cycle" of Pertussis (Whopping Cough) and she got it when she was 12 months, I would not wish that for any family. My mom even ended up catching it from her. It was truly scary and it lasts for 100 days or more. So, vaccines are really important for the health of the community too.

Did she get any other vaccinations/shots in that same visit? For example, did she get the flu shot or flu nasal mist? If she got the mist, her body may be reacting against the weakened live virus.

Don't Look, Don't See: What Medical Literature Actually Reveals about Vaccinology

Laurette Janak

Presenter:
Laurette Janak, scholarly and parent medical researcher

Parents are often told the adverse reaction their child has had to a vaccine is fully coincidental. This dedicated mother reveals the published scientific literature that supports the validity of her child's multiple adverse reactions to vaccines. If you have been told, "it is all a coincidence", then this talk is for you. Topics to be covered include vaccine-associated ear infections, strep, mitochondrial dysfunction, immune-overload, childhood cancer and the effect of celiac disease upon Hepatitis B vaccination.

Laurette has twice presented at the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential on the topic of folic acid, brain function and the impact of mercury exposure. She has also testified before the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Laurette and Jill James, PhD have studied biochemistry in autistic children and demonstrated the effectiveness of using supplements targeting the folate, methylation and transulfuration pathways, the results of which were published in American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Laurette has presented at Autism One conferences on multiple occasions on children who have a dual diagnosis of Down syndrome and autism and their unique vulnerability to vaccine injury. She and Dr. James have presented on the biochemistry of parents of children with autism and discussed the health implications this has for the parent. Laurette has also presented on how parents can research medical literature to find published scientific studies relating to their children's health concerns. Laurette has contributed two articles published in the international magazine The Autism File. Laurette's main goal as a parent researcher is to empower other parents with information.

Register Now:
When: Monday, November 23, 2009
8:00 PM - 9:00 PM CST
Register Now:
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/921922770

Well, I would consult the doc. However if you child has been getting the vaccines in order. This is not the first time she has gotten the MMR. My son just had his 15 month check up and they said that the shots were repeats. There is a virus going around (Rhino virus) it was on Fox last night. That there is a rash and a cough accompanied with it. It could be something unrelated to the shots.

Teething opens up a new world of germs as everything goes in the mouth. My son is always moody and clingy with teething. And has had a small fever as well.

I still remember when my daughter received her MMR. Within 24 hours she had a few red dots on her abdomen and a couple hours after that they were on her chest and then covered her entire body. Being a new mom I rushed her back to the doctor because she developed a fever too. He checked it out and said it was a normal reaction to the MMR. He said we can give tylenol for the fever and the rash would clear up in a couple days the way it came. And it did exactly that. The chest cleared first then the groin then the body.
I hope this helps and puts you at ease. Good luck!

She is your daughter, so if you are concerned then continue to bug the dr. until he listens. That is his job. My dr. doesn't believe in giving more than 2 shots at once. At such a young age he believes it is too much for the body to handle. So unless your daughter goes to daycare, don't do the "shot schedule" the way your doctor does. As long as she has them all by kindergarten, she doesn't need to have 4 and 5 shots at once. Too much for her little body to handle. Make a schedule that you are comfortable with. Research the vaccines and postpone some of them if you can.
You have to stand up for her. She doesn't have a voice of her own yet.

Bring her back to the doctor to have him look at the rash. It could be Roseola.

Here is the info from the cdc.gov website:

"What are the risks from the MMR vaccine?

Mild problems-Fever 1 person out of 6
mild rash 1 out of 20 people
swelling in glands of checks or neck rare...."

I wanted to copy and paste but my computer is acting up. Check out the website.

My son just got the MMR yesterday and I am on the lookout for any developments and I pray for none!

1 / 3