MMR Immunizations

Dear Moms,
Due to the magazine articles I've read, I have lots of anxiety about getting my son the MMR vaccine. My son has had ALL the other shots on schedule except for this one. Another reason why I'm so worried about this shot is that after my son got the flu vaccine, he stopped talking from 10 mos to 2 years old (he was saying Ma Ma at 9 mos.). I can't say for sure if there was a connection. He's talking all the time now at 3 years of age. But this is after he was diagnosed with speech apraxia and is way better now after speech therapy.

My son is starting preschool in the fall and he has to have to MMR vaccine in order to get in, is there something someone can say to me to make me feel better about getting him this shot?

Thanks, D.

Thank you so much for all the responses. I found all the advice helpful both pro and con regarding the MMR. I took my son to another pediatrician recommended by one of the Moms. At the pediatrician's office, they had the new MMR vaccine that is thermasol (mercury) free. The old vaccines are getting phased out so if any of you moms are concerned about this too, make sure you ask your doctor to check the label on the vaccine. My main concern was the mercury since I suspected my son had some sort of sensitivity to it after he got the flu shot. But I found out from the doctor that the mercury issue is separate from the autism MMR suspected link. She did not herself believe that there were any links but still respected my opinion. I feel good about waiting until now to get this one.
Thanks, D.

1) Get the shots and be done with it, his body must have built up the immunity already.

2) If you don't want the shots, you have a legal right to not administer the shots and he will still be accepted in both private or public education facilities. Contact Concerned Women of America for more information.

The risks out way the diseases. If he gets a little fever, that is a small price if he the contracts the diseases. Fever is a temporary sickness, MMR is permannet. The risks are so rare! I have 3 kids, pregnant with another and have a step-daughter. I have never known or known someone who has known someone who had complications (other than fever or discomfort) from the shot. If I remember correctly, MMR is a 3 step shot. He should have already gotten it at 18 months, unless it has changed. My oldest had it at 12 mths, 18mths and a little older. She had it at 12 mths b/c there was an outbreak of MMR in the Panama (where we were living at the time).

Hi D.. My son is 19 months old, and he has had the MMR. There were no complications from it, nor any of the other vaccines he has had. I don't have much information on the MMR, But I just thought I would put in my two cents to let you know that my son did not have any complications. Wish I could help out more, but maybe this will be added to more Mom's letting you know about their children having the vaccine. :)

It might cost your more but I would split it up. You can get it in three separate does (M) (M) and (R) instead of bombarding his little system all at once. My 5 year old stopped talking at 2 as well and only began again at 20 months. Now he is diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder and we are getting him tested for autism spectrum disorder.

After all that we split up the MMR for our second child and will do the same for our 10 month old.

I too was worried about the MMR. I did give it to my son and daughter when they were supposed to have it, but only after lengthy discussions with my pediatrician. Both are doing fine, and no developmental setbacks whatsoever. But I do know that they both had "mercury-free" vaccinations. The state of Illinois ordered all childhood vaccines to be free of mercury by 2006. Ask your pediatrician if the vaccines he/she uses in their office are "mercury or thimerasol free." (They should be). It was used as a preservative and apparently the excessive mercury in some vaccines was linked to developmental delays and other problems, ie autism. However, this law does not apply to flu shots, and from what I understand they DO contain the preservative thimerasol. I do NOT nor have I ever given my children the flu shot. I stopped getting it for myself about 6 years ago. I'm not a Dr., but maybe your child has a particular sensitivity to vaccinations and possibly the preservatives in them. I also understand that the older a child is, the better their little bodies can handle vaccines. So if your son is 3, he might be fine. I wish you the best of luck. I know it is a tough decision. I hope your Dr. walks you through the process with you, and isn't condenscending, like soem of them can be.

Hi D.
my nephew is autistic, and I'm very paranoid about my daughter. Though it was suspected he was autistic at birth (he didn't make eye contact even as an infant) we still fear for our 11 mos old daughter.

I have a friend who is a pediatric Physician Assistant and they work esp with autistic kids. They have a delayed vaccine chart they follow. They don't give MMR to kids until they turn 4 yrs old, instead of the 12-15 mos old time mark. They feel kids at this tender age are more prone to the vaccine effects and thus more probable to get autistic.

My pediatrician, though she strongly feels there is no link, is understanding. Even if there is no solid proof there is a link or not, why take a chance???

Once I get the autistic vaccine chart, I can let you know more.

I had the MMR vaccinations administered separately since Thimerisol is the preserative in the combo vaccine , not the separate vaccines. Most insurance does not pay for the separate vaccines, but they cost was less than $25 each. My pediatrician was very helpful in suggesting this course. Although she strongly belives that the combo MMR is safe, she was respectful of my choice to find an alternative.

Wow!! It looks like this is a hot topic. Hope my advice helps as well. All three of my kids received their MMR shots as well as all the others, including Chicken Pox, with no complications (except for a mild fever) and every mother I know that has opted for immunizations has experienced no problems.
I realize that people feel they should have a choice for their children and such, but it's really easy to make a decision to NOT immunize when we live in a country where most children don't have to suffer these life-threatening diseases. And why don't we have to worry about them for the time being? Because we have "contained" them by immunizing our children. Look at Africa - why do you think they have all those horrible diseases? They don't have the means to prevent them. How utterly sad.
My cousin who is graduating from MSU had to recently get a physical for a new job and she ended up having a discussion with the nurse there about vaccinations and the nurse told her that there is a growing number of children contracting measles and mumps and others, simply because of all the parents who have said NO to vaccinations.
I guess when it all comes down to it, you need to make that decision - no one can make it for you. Talk to your pediatrician and don't pay attention to websites written by over-zealous parents. Good luck!

Hi- sorry I am reading this late.

I just wanted to let you know that you are not required to do the MMR before starting school. Indiana has religious and medical exemptions. We don't vaccinate anymore and are claiming the religious exemption even though that is not our only reason. Our oldest son has a rare form of epilepsy that we think is due to vaccines. We have a close friend whose son became autistic the DAY of his MMR. He also started seizures that day, too.

I have done a lot of research on vaccines and encourage you to do so, especially if you've already seen a bad reaction (loss of speech after flu shot- which contains mercury- is NOT RARE.) You should make sure that your child's reaction has been reported to VAERS-The Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System, and talk to your dr. about this.

The ingredients in vaccines are appalling. After researching, I have found them to be more harmful than the diseases being vaccinated against. And most parents are unaware that NO vaccine is 100% effective. In the recent outbreaks of measles & mumps, MOST people that got it were already vaccinated!

I encourage you to visit the National Vaccine Information Center www.nvic.org for more info, as well as feel free to email me at ____@____.com .

I know it is such a tough decision. What a good mom you are for looking into it in the first place!

Nothing anyone says is going to make you not worry, you are a Mom, you will do that anyway!!

My oldest son will be 4 next month. He was diagnosed with Autism shortly after his 3rd birthday, but we had started him in therapy shortly after he turned 2. I am one of the rare mothers of a child with Autism that believes vaccines have nothing to do with it. There has never been any proof. You hear so many times that the child regressed after getting a vaccine, but that is Autism, you NEVER know when the signs will appear! Just like with taking medications, putting certain things into your body can bring out things that you may have not known you had to begin with.
Good Luck with your decision!

MY kids are not vacc for amyn reasons, my 3 yo is starting school on Tuesday and you do not need to have any vacc. They should give you a form and there should be a few choices for you to fill out. Usually
one is you are up to date
Two you are not up to date, but will be
Three you do not Immunize because of religious reason
Four you do not immunuze because of personal choice

After hearing about your sons issues after the flui shot I would NOT do any more.

Good LUck with this, I would love to hear what you decided to do, sorry I am so late on this post, but I jsut starting reading this website

1 / 3