Missed Period, Negative Preg. Test

I am trying to get pregnant and my period is 10 days late. I have taken 4 preg. test and all are negative. I do not have any symptoms of pregnancy but I had no symptoms with my first child either. Has anyone else experienced this and been pregnant even though the tests say negative?

All I can say is try try again..I was 10 days overdue as well..had taken 4 tests all neg...then 3 days later...i finally got a postiive...

I didn't have any symptoms either but my ept was positive. Went to the doctor and i was a month pregnant. My daughter is 6 mo. old

I have had it happen with both children. The hormone showing that you are pregnant doesn't start to register until two weeks after conception. After sex it can take up to 72 hours before fertilizing the egg. So depending on when you ovulated it might not register for another two weeks. Another two factors could be wishful thinking and an etopic (sp?) pregnancy. You can miss a period because of life's stresses and also because of the wishing of being pregnant. Sounds crazy I know but if you are trying to get pregnant it can be stressful and this could cause a missed period. Also, if you have a etopic pregnangy (where the egg is fertilized in one of your fallopian tubes) it will stop your periods but not register on your home tests. they would have to do a blood test to determine if this is the case. I wouldn't worry about this unless you are having a lot of cramping and discomfort. The pain would normally start about a full month into it if this is the case.
Hope this helps,

HI A.,

I had similar experienced before i found out i was pregnant. I did pregnancy test when i missed my period for one month. And it was negative. No sign of being pregnant. Then, almost 2 months i test again, and it was positive. Sometimes it takes time to find out when you are pregnant or not.

Wait a few days and try again. If it is still negative and you are still worried, call your OB and ask for a blood test for pregnancy. I have heard of people who had negative urine tests but were pregnant.

i have had your problem i was not able to use the test i had to go and get blood work done and when i did i was 4 months pregant

actually, yes. i am going through the same thing right now, except i am not trying to get pregnant. i e-mailed my OBGYN's office about it, but i haven't heard anything back. from what i've heard, elevated stress levels could be the cause, significant weight loss/increase, change in the foods you're eating (going from really healthy to REALLY bad). but none of that stuff applies to me. i also saw something on tv that said about 10% of negative tests are false negatives. you might want to wait a few days to a week and try testing again.

I also had 4 negatives with my first child. I only found out through blood work. If it's not normal for you to miss a period you might want to check with your Dr. about a blood test.

I was pregnant for about six weeks before I saw it, but I had the hunch that I might be so I was just really careful. The home pregnancy tests look for hormones in your urine that are present when you are pregnant. However, they start out at a really low level, and different women have different levels anyway. They will be highest in your urine first thing in the morning because they've had all night to concentrate. However, some women won't be able to detect them with a home test for a good 8 weeks or longer. If you don't want to go to your OB (no insurance or whatever), act like you are and really good care of yourself until you're sure. (Taking good care of yourself won't hurt your chances of getting pregnant, anyway.) That way if you are pregnant and just can't see it, you'll be doing the best thing for your baby. Good luck!!

1 / 3