Lying About Getting Shots?

this morning I am taking my 3-year-old in for a flu shot. I wasn't going to even say we were going to the Dr. until we got there. But husband spilled the beans. Knowing we are headed to the Dr. she ask point blank if she if getting a shot. I didn't lie, I told her yes she is getting one. Now I am dealing with her tears and anxiety. Just curious, do you lie about getting shots or tell them?

I always told my son if a shot was coming.
Then I'd focus on what ever fun thing we'd be doing after the visit to the doctors.
Great magicians and mothers are masters at distraction.

My mom lied to me about shots and I still rememer how resentful I was to this day -- and she's not even alive anymore. To me it was a total betrayal and as I grew up I often wondered what else she was lying to me about. That's why I've never lied to my kids about shots. I dealt with the whining and crying rather than have them think I was a liar.

We were just talking about this the other day. My girls are 13 and 22. They now appreciate that I didn't lie to them, even though back then they were just frantic about the shots and hated me either way! lol

I never lie, ever! What a betrayal to a child who is old enough to understand and 3 is old enough to understand. I am taking my 4 year old for one of his shots this week and I have told him just about every day that he is indeed getting a shot.

I tell them... I also tell my daughter that it will only hurt for a moment then I'll be there to help her feel better. NEVER LIE to a child, it will be hard to gain their trust again.

Don't lie. They need to trust you. My 5 year old will ask if things will hurt (shots, going to dr, etc) and I always answer honestly.

I'm up front and honest about it. I tell them they will get a shot, it wll hurt but only for a second. I talk them through it by telling them the more they tense up, the more it will hurt. I also bought those cute ice packs they sell for kids which my kids will use right after. It helps.

My kids don't stress about it as much anymore and focus more on the treat they will get after.

So....Make promises of ice cream after and take an ice pack =-)

I tell my son, who is 3. I have always been honest with him about shots, and he doesn't freak out, he tends to do well when he knows what to expect, even if its not something he is wild about. He would be more likely to lose it if the shot was a surprise.

I always tell the truth about whether they are going to get shots or not.

You would have been dealing with her tears no matter what, at least she does not think you lie to her.

Stay tough...this too shall pass.

I don't lie if they ask. If they don't ask I let them find out at the doctors office.

1 / 3