Lunch Time Silence?

My daughter just started Kindergarten and has come home with yellows for talking. I assumed she was talking during class but when I asked her she said it was at lunch. I didn't believe her that she got in trouble for talking at lunch but one of my friends whose kid goes to the same school said she heard they could not talk during lunch either. So my 5yr old is expected to be silent ALL day long (it's a full day kindergarten from 745-225) and only able to talk at recess? I would have issues being quiet that whole time and I'm old! lol.

Anyhow---has anyone ever heard of this? Am I the only one (well besides my friend who has a kindergartner too) that finds this absolutely ridiculous? Supposedly the reason is because kids don't eat their lunch. ummm....she still comes home with half her lunch. No big deal she just eats when she gets home.

When did we stop letting kids be kids?

Thanks! I'm so glad to know I'm not crazy. It's a public school. She went to a private school last year and was allowed to talk at lunch. She's also received yellows for dancing in the line and touching the wall when waiting in line to go from point A to point B. I understand school just started and they're trying to establish rules and may be handing out yellows/reds like candy in the beginning to get the kids to behave...but yea I find it odd too. My daughter never got in trouble at her old school so I was shocked to see yellows and one day red. We have parent/teacher meetings coming up next week so I was going to address it then. Thanks!!!

Thanks for more responses! We actually built a house and moved to this town over the summer just so she could go to this school. This is supposedly one of the best districts in the state. So moving is not an option. lol. I understand the noise level...but ummm...when we were kids we talked at lunch. Those teachers and lunch ladies dealt with our noise volume. I'm sure it's annoying...but it's stillridiculous all the restrictions they put on kids these days. I'm going to talk to the school about it. I know it's possible that my 5yr old hasn't been totally accurate with her description...it may be 15 min of silence so they eat. I still think it's silly but I know schools have certain rules for a reason.

At my childs school they have times where they can talk and time where they must be quiet that way the kids will actually eat lunch and not spend the entire time talking and not eating. They want them to not be hungry at school , it is a big deal when kids can't focus because they are hungry because they were talking through lunch instead of eating. They do only have 30 mins for lunch.
And a lunch room full of kids gets loud!
And not just walking in line , can disrupt others , imagine if everyone was dancing in line and they walked by a classroom of kids trying to take a test.

My kindergartner comes home with most of his lunch too. But they have snack time mid morning so he's not too bad off. Maybe you could suggest that.

Whoa. That is crazy! I have never heard of anything like that before! Lunch is about eating but also about socializing and getting a break from the classroom. I would talk to the head of the school and find out what you can do about this policy. Sometimes all it takes is someone to ask the question and then they will consider changes.

Is it a public school or private?

Can you imagine how loud it can get with a hundred or more students int he lunch room visiting instead of eating? They go directly to recess from lunch and can run and play and be as loud as they want. Most schools have a signal light like they have on the streets. It has green for acceptable loudness, yellow for warning, then red for too loud.

They also get to play in the classroom. During activities and circle time is the only real time in the classroom they need to be quieter. Oh, and rest time.

I have been to a couple of Jr. Highs where they don't have any limits on the sound and my tray was vibrating across the table from the sound waves. It can be totally too loud.

How big is your child's school? If it's like my child's school, they aren't allowed to talk at lunch because of there being 250+ kids in the cafeteria at one time. Imagine that noise! I'm sure they're just setting the rules/boundaries now and she'll be allowed to "talk" when appropriate. They're just getting them used to a routine and the school rules.

The preschool my girls went to last year required lunch time silence for the first half of lunch (about 15 minutes) in the 3-4 year old class. I didn't realize the rule until about 4 months after my kids entered that class. One of my girls shushed the other at dinner. When I inquired, she explained that their teacher shushed kids during lunch because talking wasn't allowed. That bothered me SO MUCH!! I went in and talked to the teacher, who explained she had that rule so that the kids focused on eating, not talking. Even with the explanation, I didn't like the rule.

It's one of the (many) reasons we switched to a new school this year.

I agree with you. I remember talking all the time at lunch and last time I checked I didn't die of starvation. Jeez.

2 years ago, I was absolutely LIVID when my bff's son was "in trouble" for talking at lunch time. School prepares us for the real world, theoretically. Ok, so in the real world, your lunch time is YOUR time. Period. You can choose to work through lunch, sometimes you have a working lunch where your boss pays for lunch while you have a meeting or whatever. But on a day to day basis, lunch is a BREAK. But yeah, St Amant Elementary employs that as a standard rule, everyday, no talking at lunch. I told my bff to MOVE and get him out of that stupid school asap. She moved, and he LOVED and excelled in a much better, higher performing school in Keller (our district at the time) after that. We've since moved, but I'm glad to see my "nephew" doing well and loving school again. In my opinion, that is total b.s. and it would be a good reason for me to put my children in a private school with some rules that made sense, or homeschooling. Sheesh, sorry this came off so "firm", but I really feel strongly about the things they're doing with children at some schools---taking away recess, no talking at lunch, how many minutes everyday is spent standing still and silent in a line, PE just a couple days a week in some schools, BLECH. For the birds!

Our elementary school had a no talking at lunch too, they actually even dimmed the lights for it as well. It wasn't the whole time, just when the cafeteria got crazy rowdy so we had to sit quiet for about 3 minutes in silent time with the lights dimmed. I am guessing this is when she got in trouble, during a brief no talking break. I highly doubt the entire lunch period is no talking. I would call the school and ask what the duration of quiet time during lunch is. Better yet, visit her at lunch. We are allowed to eat lunch with our kids anytime.

Now, IF the children are required to be silent during all lunch, I would probably complain not only to the principle, but I would even go to the superintendent, I would also contact the parents organization and try to have it changed through the parent's voices.

Not that I agree with it but children can become quite loud and rowdy. I think they probably do this to keep the lunch lines moving and kids sitting down to eat. Think about it if your kids are excited do they sit right down to eat? So I can understand if the school does this at the beginning of lunch but the whole lunch period? That's a different story.

1 / 3