Recess in Schools

Good evening all. I've been spending the time since my little ones got to bed looking into elementary school recess requirements. Did you know that, except for a very small number of states, there aren't any? My daughter only gets 20 minutes of recess a day and she is in 2nd grade. I am dumbfounded by this. I thought it was bad last year when she was only given 20 minutes to eat lunch then another 20 minutes for recess. At least then she was given another recess later in the day. do any of you have concerns about recess in schools? Do any of you have any perspective on this because I am not happy about the way education is going?

Some schools are getting rid of recess. Seriously, I just read a story about that. Incidentally, students grades also started plummeting at those schools. We had 45 minutes of recess every day, and gym every day. There was also almost no obesity. No wonder kids are so fat now. Look at the lunches and lack of exercise. Sad. It's very concerning to me. I am appalled at the direction public school is headed. We plan to homeschool. Public school was so wonderful when I was younger. I feel terrible for teachers, because there are so many great ones...but, their hands are tied.

Get involved in the school and the district. That's the only way you can understand or hope to make any changes. Or homeschool, it's a viable option for anyone who doesn't like the local schools.

That being said, I remember having recess until high school. In junior high we walked the track or played basketball after lunch every day. My son entering 6th grade, doesn't get recess at all already.

Recess isn't just for exercise or to burn off energy which is OF COURSE super important. It is also to allow the kids time to process and integrate the learning that is occuring in the day. Take that away, what have we got...

As an educator myself I also get frustrated with this change. My college courses stressed the importance of allowing students opportunity to have choice and be able to get exercise throughout the day in order to be able to focus on the academics. I teach a special program, so bear with me on what I am about to say. However, my specials have been taken away this year so my students no longer get the extra 1/2 hour of PE each week that we got previously. We are also moving to block scheduling where specials will rotate every 6 days. Our PE teacher worked it out and it gives them less time over the course of the year in specials such as PE, music, art, and library. In addition, there has been discussion about taking away our afternoon recess (about 15 minutes). I have not been in on these discussions so I'm not sure what the thinking is behind it all except for the push for more academics in order to meet the pressing requirements and standards put forth by the state. It is so sad to see what is being required of these little ones. I teach a kindergarten class so it doesn't effect us because our principal has been kind enough to let us do what we need to do with getting the energy out at five and six years of age. She understands the need for it at that level. I'm not sure what is going to happen but as I move into my 6 year of teaching I have already seen plenty of change. It's up to us to fight for the kids because we know what is best for our little ones. I would speak to your child's principal and ask the reasoning behind it. Perhaps have some research to back up what you say. Here is an article our PE teacher sent out to all of us to read...it was an eye opener to me. Good luck! http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44123365/ns/today-parenting...

Hmm. Growing up, we had a half hour lunch and one 20 or 30 minute recess in the afternoon. PE was Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Music was Tuesday and Thursday. We walked or rode bikes to and from school, and played in the playground a little bit on the way home from school. I've never imagined it any other way. Recess made me happy. :) It's not JUST exercise, it's a mental break and a little walking around to do your own thing for a minute. And to get some of that stuff you want to say to your friend across the room or in another class out so you can concentrate on school instead of "Todd smiled at me" for the rest of the day. It's good for them. My husband is a grown man and he still needs a little break in the day to "walk it off" and give his mind a break. We can tell when he's given himself a recess and when he hasn't by his attitude and mood when he comes home. If adults need it, how much more would a kid need it?

I believe there is a terrible trend in the education system of the US. It is all about test scores now, and how well a school does depends on how ell kids score on tests. So, they are taught what is on those tests, and not much else. This is probably why some states are giving up the teaching of cursive writing. We can't let kids just be kids, to teach them or *gasp* let them have fun while learning. Kids today are under enormous amounts of pressure, and taking away any outlet for that pressure is a big big mistake.

If the school give more recess time they need to lengthen the school day. if they keep the school day the same length they have to lengthen the amount of days school is in session per year. Children are required to be in class "X" amount of hours per year, districts divide that by the days in session and need to schedule accordingly. So more days of operation = more operating costs for the district.

Basically, recess is time to go to the bathroom, we parents need to make sure our children are getting the exercise they need each day, including on weekends and during vacations.

I would be concerned too, since it's been shown that kids learn better when they can burn off energy with regular physical activity, but unfortunately it seems we can't have everything. Schools are being expected to teach more and more subject matter to kids, especially with standardized testing, and things like gym, recess, art and music are falling by the wayside. There's only so many hours in the day and so much money in the coffers. When I was a kid, we had a morning recess and an afternoon recess (both 15 minutes) as well as lunch recess (lunch and outdoor recess combined for a total of 1 hour). I think we also had gym at least once a week and music at least once a week.

My son is in 2nd grade and his recess is only 20 minutes too. He starts at 8, lunch is from 11:10-11:30 (which according to my son they aren't allowed to talk during), and gets his recess at 230. They go home at 3. That to me is a long day before getting a break. So different then when I was in elementary school. We had 2 recesses and PE everyday.

1 / 3