Low Progesterone During Pregnancy

I am 5 weeks along and I received a call from my obgyn office stating that my progesterone was a little low and they wanted me to take a hormone called prometruium. I asked what that meant and all she said was some women are a little low in that hormone just take the prescription. She also added that the prescription will say not to take if you are pregnant and just to ignore that. She quickly got off the phone. I decided to do my own research on the internet and it scared me. First a lot of things said if you have low progesterone you are probably losing the baby. Second the prometruium they want me to take is controversial. Has anyone had low progesterone and not taken it and the pregnancy turned out fine? If anyone has taken it were there any problems?

Thank you for all the responses! It has really helped me to hear other stories like mine. My progesterone started at 14.6 and two days later 21. They said it was tested at two different labs so it could cause the variance. I am going in this morning for an ultrasound. I am praying all goes well. Thanks again! Went in for ultrasound and saw baby's heartbeat! Also, progesterone has gone up on it's own. Thanks so much for all of your support!

I took prometrium for the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy (once a day) and did not have any complications or side effects from it- had a healthy baby boy who is now 8 months old!!

The red flags that you see are certainly worth paying attention to. I took progesterone shots - I asked about the warnings, and all I was told that I could be more sick. That was it. Our daughter was born with SEVERE heart defects. She had two open heart surgeries when she was 14-15 months old, spending 10 weeks in PICU at the University of Michigan Children's Hospital. Many of those weeks we thought we'd lose her. She is now a vibrant 11 year old girl, but will always be on heart medications, and will need more surgeries the rest of her life to "replace parts".

Shortly after she was diagnosed a friend gave me a copy of the legal form she had to sign before taking the same progesterone shots. The warnings told her the risks to her baby: #1 cleft pallate; #2 heart defects (followed by 8 other). I was not told this at all.

I started doing research on it (and going by memory from quite a few years ago), the progesterone shots are a lot stronger and more dangerous than the pills or suppositories. The shots I just got once a week - which was a lot put into my body at one time. The pills I think were 1x a day, and the suppositories a couple of times a day. So these were not as potent, therefore needing them more often.

NOW, if you do not take progesterone, the risk is miscarrying. The reason for taking the shots for me was I had miscarried two times previously. The progesterone definitely did help me sustain the pregnancy. I had more children afterwards, and well before I became pregnant I began using natural progesterone creme. A book I'd highly recommend reading is "What your doctor may not tell you about Menopause" by Dr. Lee. I hate the title as it is more on a woman's cycle and a lot of it explains the need of progesterone.

If you are taking the pills or suppositories, the risk is a lot less than shots. Also, you have to "wean" off of it - not stop it suddenly, as that will make you miscarry as well. Generally it is stopped around 12 weeks - GRADUALLY!

I know some of this sounds scary, but I know I wish I had been informed, yet, despite my daughter's heart defects, I am very thankful for her. I have had 12 children (yes, twelve) and she is the only one with heart defects, so it is not a hereditary type thing.

My low progesterone pregnancy that I had miscarried since they didn't know until too late. Take the Prometrium, it will be fine. I have 2 beautiful children since then that I used progesterone for. Both were no complication pregnancies and healthy births. You only have to take it the first trimester til pregnancy and placenta are fully established. Sometimes too much info is bad info.... If you don't want to do the prometrium as them if they will do the suppositories (very messy though) for you. That's what I had. The condition will not right itself and if you end up with too much your body will just pass it anyway.
Try not to worry about it, have a great/fun/healthy pregnancy!

I don't know about the medication, but I do know that if your progesterone level is low, you will probably miscarry the pregnancy. Often when women have multiple miscarriages, it's because their progesterone level is too low. I would suggest talking to your physician and skip the secretary. The secretary doesn't normally know much about the meds anyway. I wouldn't wait very long, though.

I have the same problem-extremely low progestrone in early pregnancy. I have had two miscarriages and will now be required to take prometrium in order to keep a pregnancy. Next time we try, I will have to start taking ahead of time they have told me. From my experience, I would take the advice of the doctors! Always good to research.... make sure it's a reputable site. I tend to believe most of what I read on the internet which can be not so good. So I try to make sure now that it's a very reputable site before considering information I read.

~L.

My sister in law had low progesterone and lost her baby. What she did was go on a natural body balancing cream and it helped her stay pregnant. She lost 2 babies (has something to do with the lining in your uterus). She then went on this cream and got pregnant and delivered a darling little boy and she is still taking this. If you want more information on email me ____@____.com

I have not personally had to take prometruium, but I belong to a message board community where a few of the ladies have had to take it and all of them have had healthy babies. I do know a couple of ladies who have had early miscarriages because of low progesterone, but the good news is that it's a really easy thing to fix! :) (Both of my friends didn't know they had low progesterone until they got pregnant again, and both of them went on to have healthy pregnancies.)

If you are worried about the type of progesterone your Dr. prescribed, you should call and see if you can talk to someone about it. I'm sure that everything will be just fine and that you'll have a healthy baby in your arms in about 35 weeks! :)

Progestrone has given my friend 4 boys after a previous 3 losses which followed two healthy girls with no trouble during pregnancy. One risk of progestrone is a cleft lip, which can be corrected with surgery if needed, although the risk is low. She had no problems with the prometruium. In discussion, the thought was if the progestrone saved your baby, and you even ended up with a cleft lip, you still had the baby, and you knew you did everything you could to save the pregnancy. I also encourage you to listen to the doctor over the internet. I've had lots of problems myself, and the internet just caused a lot of un due stress. However, make the best decision for yourself, and good luck.

Hi!i know how you feel,its scary! i had 3 pregnancy.(all with low progestrone.) i was also put on the prometruim.I also had ultrasounds right away at 5 weeks. all my babies had heartbeats.but.. my first pregnancy i lost. but i know have a 3 1/2 an 21 month old.you have to have high levels of the hormone for the pregnancy to last. thats why i had no!! problem taking it. good luck to you!

1 / 3