Looking for Sports for 5 Year Old Boy

I have a 5 year old boy who has participated in "The Little Gym" non-competitive gymnastics classes since he was a baby. I think he's ready for something more now. I am not and have never been an athlete. My husband is an artist and a musician - we're both kinda geeky :) So we don't know how to even go about getting the kids involved with sports. I want my boy to do something fun, while learning rules of the game, and get good exercise, etc.... nothing too competitive, just enough - I don't want any crazy coaches - something fun for a 5 year old, ya know?

SOCCER!!!! Great fun at that age!!!

My son enjoyed Soccer.

Try a church league. I grew up in the Lilburn area. Off the top of my head I remember basketball at Mt. Park Baptist, baseball at Smoke Rose Baptist and Harmony Grove Methodist.

Get online and google for your city's parks and recreation department. In Georgia it seems to be that most of the sports and recreation are at the city level, more than the county. Also, I've noticed that the prices are a LOT lower if you use the services for your particular city, because you are already partially supporting parks & recreation with your property taxes. (If you live right near the border of two cities, as we do, an Alpharetta park might be the most convenient place to do baseball or soccer, but it's cheaper to sign up at a Roswell Park.)

After paying hand over fist for places like Little Gym, I was very pleasantly surprised by the affordability (and diversity) of activities put on by Roswell's Parks & Recreation department.

Google YMCAs in your area. Most of them have soccer programs, little swim teams and t-ball in the spring! You can also just google Lilburn Georgia Youth ______ (fill in whatever sport you're interested in there). Many county and city leagues exist too.

1 / 3