Looking for a Good Place to Take My Kids This Weekend

I am thinking to take my two children (ages 2 and 4) somewhere this weekend. I was thinking of a u-pick apple orchard or a pumpkin farm or even a good fall festival. Help!

Thanks for all the ideas! We ended up going to Royal Oak Farm in woodstock. It was wonderful. The drive was a little over an hour but it was well worth it. We went apple picking and got pumpkins. They had a huge screened in barn with crafts for the kids, a place to sit down and eat, tons of picnic tables, a park and a petting zoo. Even the bathrooms were great!

Royal Oak Farm in Harvard is supposed to be awesome for apple picking, but it would have to be today because they are closed on Sunday.

Sorry didn't see that this was for this past weekend. There is Goebberts farm (near Route 72) Route 47 and Reinking Road in Hampshire ###-###-####(they charge for everything extra, though $4.00 per hay ride, etc.) or Didier's Farm on Route 83 and Aptakisic in Buffalo Grove.

Here's a resource you need to become familiar with: www.kidwinks.com. It covers the entire Chicagoland area for kid-friendly events, activites, restaurants, shops and services. Go to the events section and click on any day on the calendar to get a list of what's going on for that day. Or browse through the Ongoing Activities section - you can browse by category along the left rail. In the Restaurants section, you can click on any day on the Dining Deals Calendar and get a list of restaurants offering "kids eat free" or other deals, for that day.

You can also sign up for the mailing list, and twice a week you'll get upcoming events emailed to you. It's fantastic! There are also reviews from other parents, and if you become a member you can also write reviews, get email reminders of upcoming events that you choose, and also see the distance to any of the businesses from your house.

Danada in Naperville (Part of the Forest Preserves of DuPage County) has their fall festival this Sunday. I cut and paste this from their website: Danada Fall Festival — Join a celebration of the horse during the annual Danada Fall Festival, which includes a parade of breeds, hayrides, face painting, grooming demonstrations, educational displays, food and more. 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at Danada Equestrian Center in Wheaton. Free admission and parking. Fees for some activities. Call ###-###-####.
Have a great weekend!

We LOVE both Sonny Acres in West Chicago and Bengston's (sp?) in Homer Glen. My girls are the same age as your kids and both places have fun things appropriate for their ages. Have fun!! (we are going to the Elmhurst Fall Festival today...never been before but we'll see)

http://www.danada.info/

Danada Equestrian center has their fall festival today. Check it out at the link listed above. We've never been to the festival, but may be going today :)

I second the idea for Goebbert's Farm in South Barrington

We are heading to Wagner Farm in Glenview today. You can see their website at www.wagnerfarm.org. They have a Farmer's Market in the morning and today from 1-4 they are having a Build Your Own Scarecrow event. They have a few animals (cows, geese & chickens) and an educational barn. My son is 2 and he LOVES this place.

I was at the Morton Arboretum yesterday and the fall colors were beautiful. They have a fall festival going on right now on the weekends (http://www.mortonarb.org/main.taf?p=1,3,15), and your children are the perfect ages to enjoy the children's garden (http://www.mortonarb.org/main.taf?p=2,3,1), which has a multitude of activities.

Another fall favorite of ours is the Scarecrow festival in St Charles, which is going on this weekend only (http://www.scarecrowfest.com/).

Have fun!

1 / 3