Leg Pain in 6 Year Old

My daughter has been complaining of leg pain for about 2 1/2 weeks now. It appears to be the muscles. Sometimes it will be the thigh on one leg, then the calf on the other and she has even complained about her foot hurting. It is hurting when she wakes up in the morning and hurts off and on all day. I took her to the Dr Friday and the Dr seems to think it's the muscle also and NOT growing pains. I have increased her fluids (including Gatoraid) making her eat at least one banana everyday, but we still have pain that comes and goes. Tylenol or Motrin does not help, heat seems to help a little...

Last night her foot was hurting and she started crying and said "Everything in my whole body hurts". As if she was frustrated by it all. So needless to say, I am worried. Has anyone's child ever had this? If so what did it turn out to be? Should I be more concerned and go back to the Dr, or give it more time?

Thanks in advance for any help!

My son had bad leg pains at 8 or 9 years old. The doctor didn't think too much about it. We finally put him on a multi-vitamin and it seemed to help. Hope this helps you.

I would not hesitate taking her to a specialist . Do not make her suffer any longer. It could be something simple or not. Either way i would not depend or her regular Dr. to have all the answers. Have them send her to a specialist. Good luck and I hope all will be well.

My son had constant pain in his wrists and legs. His doctor told me it was from a lack of calcium. He recommende three doses of calcium a day. I am not talking about pills or anything like that. He recommeded fortified orange juice, any foods fortified with calcium, or even a tums. My son was a picky eater at 6 so it was easier to get him to take the fruit flavored tums 3 times a day. He is 13 now and into everything (marching band, cross country, and wrestling).

Yes, this happened to my 2nd child. It is lack of calcium. I had to give him a separate calcium supplement and it went away. When he slacks off at times that he shouldn't, he gets the pain back. But, when he is eating foods rich in calcium....broccoli, etc., he does great. (By the way, this is my only child that drinks cow's milk....which I find terrible for anybody's body. This never happened to my other children and they do not drink cow's milk.)

I figured it out pretty quickly, but before I did....I felt helpless...I know he was in great pain.

My hope is that this is what your little girl's problem is and easily fixable. Good luck! Would love to know if this helped!

S.,
I had those pains as a child and my mom didn't listen to the doctor when they said it was growing pains (it hurt more at night for me). She took me to a specialist and they determined that I had juvenile arthritis. I'm 41 years old and at the time all my mother could do is give me motrin (or the equivalent) and heating pads. It helped. Not sure if there are any other medications available these days for juvenile arthritis.

Point being, I'd take your daughter to a specialist to have some peace of mind.

Be careful and keep an eye on her. Keep notes about her pains, where they are and what time of day they occur. It could be something as bad as lupus or nothing at all.

I agree with Donna that it is probably a lack of calcium. If you would like to know a good absorbable calcium supplement let me know. Most don't absorb and most will also create free radicals which is another can of worms.

Also, if she is drinking sodas they will cause this problem. The phosphoric acid will eat bones and we, as a culture, drink more sodas than we used to. Food processors are also putting this in more and more food today as well.

Hope I helped and feel free to get back to me.

Regards,

www.squidoo.com/ifyourbabycouldtalk

My daughter is 6 and she has the sames pains and aches. I am pretty sure it is only growing pains. I just give her rub downs and warm baths. This seems to be a common thing in our family. I even remember having growing pains as a child. We are all very tall people in my family, but I don't know how much that has to do with it. I wouldn't worry about it unless the child is getting sick and running fever with the pain. one more thing Doctors are not Gods and dont' always know everything! I have discovered this the hard way too many times. When I was in nursing school one of my teachers said that no one knows your body like you do. So go with your instinct and always get more than one opinion if you are not getting any Clear answers from your doctor. Hope it passes soon.

Hey S.,

They may be growing pains. I know, but I am a Girl Scout leader and one of my girls was having the sma problem. Her feet or legs would start to hurt and then she too started to say that it was her whole body.They took her to the doctor and her bones are growing faster then her muscles with is causing pain and discomfort. I would have the doctor look at it just to make sure,ease your worries.
I hope this helps and I wish you luck.

1 / 3