Large Amounts of Spit Up

My son has been spitting up basically his whole bottle on average once a day. Before everything comes up he cries and kicks and moves his head all around for long periods of time. I feel bad he is so uncomforatble. I have tried different types of formula including soy and none seem to make a difference. The dr office doesn't seem to be concerned as long as it is only happening once a day and he is gaining weight. Should I be concerned? Anyone have recommendations or answers?

Two of my sons did that from a few weeks of age to about 3 months. They would projectile vomit large amounts about once a day, but they were otherwise healthy. The doctor was not concerned and they outgrew it on their own. They were breast fed, so it wasn't the formula.

Hi M.:
My son did the same thing from the age of 2 months to 8 months. Sometimes, their stomachs are just so small at that age and they down the whole bottle too fast. It helped when I gave my son small amounts at a time and didn't allow him to drink too fast. The doctors suggested testing him for acid reflux, but we never got the test. Now he is a happy, healthy two year old with no reflux problems. I personally think it's just the way that they drink the formula. If it persists and you are still concerned, you might want to push for a reflux test.

First of all it might seem like he's spitting up the whole bottle, but he's probably not. Second, it sounds like acid reflux. Have you tried carnation good start formula? My second daughter spit up a lot and we switched her to that and it worked much better. You can ask the doctor about putting a little rice cereal in his bottle. Does he do it for the same feeding everyday? Also propping him up in his car seat carrier after he eats will help. Good luck.

My son did this all the time (with breast milk). Turns out he was taking too much into his stomach. I would try Laura R.'s advice before you worry about a diagnosis for some condition. At least with a bottle you can see how much he is drinking and try to find the amount that doesn't trigger this reaction!

The most important thing is that he is gaining weight and is healthy.

Not sure how old your son is, but my daughter was the same way, never happy with her bottles. Her doctor ended up testing her poop, and found that she was allergic to milk, so we had to switch her formula to allimentum. Or he might have acid reflux. Hope this helps, good luck!

Hi M.. You can try Alimentum. It is VERY expensive, so ask your pediatrician if you can get your insurance to pay for it.
My nephew was also formula fed and had reflux, GI problems, tons and tons of allergies including corn and soy - which is in ALL formulas. Poor kid! BUT - he is now 8 and does just fine (so this too will pass) :)
Do you breastfeed at all as well? You might want to give him more BM, but you'll more than likely need to eliminate dairy and nuts from your diet it does not upset his belly.

Also, Dr. Brown's bottles help a ton with gas.

Good luck! I know how worrisome our little ones can be for us.

Try a different type of bottle and burp him frequently during feeding as long as he is gaining weight and its not happening several times during the day its probably nothing but air bubble during a feeding

How old is your son? My daughter used to do this a couple times a day as an infant. The Dr also didn't want to treat it because she was still growing well. I don't really have any advice, but wanted to tell you that she outgrew it on her own. Around the 3 month mark it stopped.

Take him to the doctors. With boys there is this condition that is very common. I am not sure how old your son is but you should have him checked. I think it is called Pyloric stenosis but I am not sure if that is the correct term. I can ask my brother. He had it when he was born and also his first born son had it. It is a problem were the stomach connects to the intestine and forms a mass. His son started vomiting after every meal when he was about three months old and it was him who told the doctor that he was born with a problem and they then checked his son and found he had a mass the size of a golf ball. It was removed and now his son is 9 months old and very healthy. The doctor said it is very common with first born boys.

Maybe he has large amounts of air in his stomach perhaps at that time. Have you tried using a different bottle? Playtex bottles with liners worked really well for my son. Also, try feeding him in smaller amounts. Then take a break. Let him burp etc. Then finish feeding him. Don't let him drink too much all at once. Is he doing this with is first bottle or his last?

1 / 3