Jewelry Changing Skin Color

I have heard that some jewelry, depending on what it is made of, will sometimes temporarily change the color of the skin it touches (metal reacting with skin). I have a few pair of earrings that look like they leave a dark grey/charcoal mark on my ears. The mark wipes off when I rub it, but I was wondering if there is a way to prevent this. Maybe something I could put on the earrings themselves, or maybe a cleaner to clean them with? Any thoughts would help :)

Loads of great advice, seems like the quickest, cheapest and easiest option is clear nail polish....so I am going to have myself a little earring nail polish painting party :) Thank you for taking the time to give me advice, it is worth more than gold :)

Clear nail polish to the rescue. Those who suggested it are absolutely right. What a great idea for those who are allergic to nickel and to keep skin clear from grey/black marks.

You just can not wear cheap jewelery, no matter how cute some are. I have had the same problem and just invest in real jewelery or those that do not have metal touching the skin area. Beaded jewelery works well and does not caus an allergic reaction.

Buy some sterling silver earrings, not expensive, but that will not change the color of your ears.

Yep, clear nail polish is the answer, you may need to reapply after a few uses.

Generally it's silver jewelry that tarnishes and it's because your chemical makeup disagrees with that element. Save those things as your chemical makup changes every 7 years. In the mean time, stick to gold. (poor you, right?)

Couple coats of clear nail polish might work. It will keep the metal off the skin. Not sure what the earring looks like to know if that is possible.

This answer might sound insane, but here it goes anyway. I am allergic to all metals and when I was growing up I would get really upset at the reaction that my skin would have every time I would wear my jewelery. Well my Grandmother told me one day that she has the same reaction and that she paints the back of the jewelery with clear nail polish. The polish doesn't show and forms an invisible bond between you and the jewelery. I know there might be a specially made product out there for this, but clear nail polish is just such a cheap alternative. Hope I helped.

Yes.. I see a lot of people have already told you about clear nail polish. Depending on the jewelry..this is a simple and good solution. I ran into a slightly different problem requiring a more permanent solution. I am allergic to mercury..and yellow or black hills colored gold ( I get little water type blisters from it). My wedding rings are yellow gold. The alleregy was not discovered till my mid 20's. My jeweler suggested rhodeum ( spelling?) plateing them. This has worked very well. If your jewelry is something you wear alot and is a precious metal.. this may be another option for you. Good luck and sparkle-on.!!

1 / 3