Is There Anyway to Start Producing Breastmilk After You Have Stopped for a While

I really want to try to breastfeed again. Since I have stopped my son has been getting sick a lot. I think it's the best thing to do for him, does anyone know if this is possible to do? Or has anyone tried it with success? He is six months old and I know I can still do it if I could produce milk. I have not spoken with a lactation consultant. Thanks

First, call La Leche.

Second, there is a tea that will help. Mother's Milk. It has blessed thistle in it, which increases milk production. It also has fenugreek in it, which if you are at all worried about him having/developing a nut allergy you should avoid. Blessed thistle also comes in pill form.
Its hard to get it going once you stop, but with enough effort you should be able to.
Also, it might just be he's getting sick b/c its that time of year. My kids are pretty healthy until December and then we have the crud for a few months (on and off). Its just normal. Even with breastfeeding, this time of year they were/are sick
P.

Yes, You CAN do it! I would contact a local lactation consultant and set up an appointment asap. I know Morton Plant in Clearwater has an awesome lactation professional and she does phone and in person appointments free of charge, regardless of whether you delivered your baby at that hospital or not. The # is ###-###-####.

I would also contact a LLL leader and get involved asap. You will get TONS of great information and can get a good roadmap and get on your way to re-lactating. If your son is only 6 mo now, you have a good chance of doing this without running in to tons of roadblocks, but there are many things to try before giving up.... even a prescription that moms have taken that didn't even give birth so that they could breastfeed a child!

Join a local support group if possible. Many hospitals offer support group meet-ups for local nursing mothers to ask questions just like this and get the help and support they need to succeed and continue.

Way to go for wanting to breastfeed again! You will be giving your little one the very best thing you could offer. Try not to get discouraged, the road may not be as quick and easy as it was when your little one was first born, but hang in there. You CAN do it!

First, call La Leche.

P.

As far as I understand it is absolutely possible. Women who have previously nursed are able to nurse adopted children in this way. You could start pumping to restart your milk supply which would probably be less frustrating than putting the baby to the breast right away. Definitely contact a La Lech League Leader (you can locate the one nearest you on the La Leche League website- you might even be able to get information about your issue on the website). It is free and there are group support meetings for breastfeeding mothers. I have always found the groups extremely welcoming, helpful and useful for some mothering issues as well nursing. Hope that helps.

Victoria, mother of 2 breastfed children.

I agree with the others, it is absolutely possible. A Lactation Consultant can help (Morton Plant has a great group of ladies) or you can contact LaLeche League (www.llli.org) Here's a quote from their site:

"I would like to resume breastfeeding after an interruption. How do I relactate?

Sometimes a mother decides to resume breastfeeding, whether due to an emergency when there is a shortage of other food, after a separation, etc. Often a mother can rebuild a milk supply very successfully, with patience and determination (and a cooperative baby). The Breastfeeding Answer Book, published by La Leche League International, recommends the following strategies for relactation and induced lactation, to stimulate milk production:

*Putting baby to breast to suck at each feeding and for comfort between feedings as often as possible.
*Using hand expression or a breast pump.
*Using a nursing supplementer (if available and if conditions are sanitary enough to make its use safe) to provide expressed milk at the breast while baby sucks at the breast.
*Taking herbs/medication that increase milk supply (herb resources are listed in the resources collection).
If you do use herbs or medications to increase your supply, be sure to put the baby to the breast frequently, to remove as much milk as possible. This will help avoid breast infections or plugged ducts.

Our FAQ on increasing your milk supply also contains valuable hints for re-starting breastfeeding, and our article on how the human breast works contains valuable information on how milk supply is built up and maintained."

You can also get information about herbs to increase milk supply (like fenugreek) at www.kellymom.com

Good Luck! And I totally relate to being surprised at liking the stay at home mom thing. I was the same way. Babies change everything.

I second all of the responses you have received so far, but just keep in mind that it will not be easy. I attempted to start breastfeeding again after stopping for about a month. At the time, my son was 6 months (he is 2 now) and I contacted LLL to find out what I needed to do. They gave awesome information and were very supportive, but relactating proved too much for me and my husband and I decided that our son was doing just fine on the formula. Anyhow, you should definitely give it a shot. You may have better luck than I did! Good luck!

You can do it. I know that women who adopt little babies can train their body to make milk... even if they have never produced milk. I would contact a laction consultant ASAP. I know Bayfont does some free consultations... the sooner the better. Good luck! I am still breastfeeding my 14 month old and he has only been sick once, AND my husband works in the ER so he brings home all kinds of germs!!!

J., How long has it been since you stopped? You know moms who have never been pregnant can stimulate lactation, with a lot of hard work. Your work is done. Pump, pump, pump. His only problem would be if your nipples are not such that he can latch on properly, but pumping will effect a change in your hormones, that can change the nipples. His nursing can also, so as soon as he can latch on, get him to do so. It will take a little bit of time to build up supply, so continue to feed him the type of formula he is getting in addition, until you can wean him off the formula. It helps that you are at home. Go back to the schedule you used to build up supply initially, ex. every 2-3 hours. I know you can do it, don't get discouraged. Get some support from LaLeche if you need it. Go for it! Mom who nursed 7

There are lots of herbs you can take (fenugreek, goat's rue, blessed thistle, shatavari). Also prescription meds.

http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/prescriptio...

Domperidone is a miracle worker, but not availalbe in the U.S. You can order it from an overseas pharmacy. If you want to know more, pm me and I'll find out the details for you.

There's also a great new book out called Making More Milk. Here's an article with some excerpts for it.
http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/new_researc...

If you had a really good supply before, you might get it back up by nursing, nursing, nursing and maybe a few lactogenic herbs and/or foods. here are some articles on that:

http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/herbal_gala...

http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/increase_br...

Good luck and kudos to you on your commitment to breastfeeding! I bfed my first for 17 months and am still nursing my 23 month old.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

breastfeeding lactation milk women