Can It Come Back

I was breastfeeding my son up until I had to go out of town for a few months. I expressed milk for a while when I arrived at my destination. Now there doesnt seem to be any milk left. But sometimes I get sharp pains in my breast. Also if I squeeze my nipple a clear liquid comes out and then a real rich milkly looking thicker liquid comes out breifly. My question is after one stop breastfeeding for a while can your milk supply come back or is it gone forever? (until you have another baby)

Having breast fed my daughter for 4 months staight and then suplementing with formula til she was 7 months I can say it takes some time to completely stop producing milk. If you still want to breast feed you son I'd do what some of the others have recommending and get him latched on quickly. This will work so much better than a pump, because your body does know the difference because of how emotional the connection is between you and your son. Hopefully you can build your supply back up and keep breast feeding. Good luck!

absolutely it can come back! There is no evidence to suggest the milk let-down reflex is gone. You just need re-stimulation. I suggest skin to skin contact as much as possible with your baby, and your man. Also, both can be sources of stimulation. Best of luck.

My milk supply decreased significantly after going back to work and a string of illnesses in our family. I managed to get it back by nursing, pumping more and trying several of the things already mentioned. Here are 2 to add to your list - Japenese mochi sweet rice - recommended by my acupuncturist (I found rice cakes at Whole Foods that contain the Mochi) and root beer. I do see a difference with these. Oatmeal, lots of water and rest also seem to make a difference. Good luck!!

B.,
I have never had to deal with this, BUT, I have heard many stories where even an adoptive Moms, with some work, can start breastfeeding. If you want to continue I would put him to the breast the more often the better. I believe your body can kick it back in. GO FOR IT!! I mean really what do you have to lose by trying?
A little story I heard from a nurse: Mom has preemie baby, starts bringing SEVERAL ounces a day to the NICU, The nurses know that Moms don't usually bring such an excessive amount especially when the baby is not at the breast. So, they asked her. Her husband was "standing in" for the babies. I know this may not seem natural but, I say whatever works. Those babies needed it and she didn't have to go anywhere else or buy anything to help her out.
Not to say that you haven't gotten great advice, just a little something to "chew" on. I wish you the best!

I too expierenced this and your body only supplies what is used. If the baby goes through a growth spurt, I found I produced more milk. If I was gone,. my body produced less. The key to being gone if you want to continue breastfeeding is to pump while your away to keep the production of milk happening. My guess is that if your still seeing discharge from the breast, your still able to produce. The pain could possibly be the drying up era. I would nurse as much as possible or pump in between to get that production up and going again before your completly dried up. Best wishes!

yes, let the baby nurse frequently and the milk will come back. Just as when you first started nursing, the more you pump or nurse the more milk you will have. Just make sure you drink plenty of liquids.

I firmly believe it can and will! I have read many of the responses, and believe everyone is right on the money! I do wish to add this: I drink Woman's Nursing Mom organic tea by a company called Yogi Tea. It has Nettle Leaf, Fennel Seed, and Fenugreek Seed in it, all things that are supposed to be good for lactation. Let me tell you, it works great! It tastes good, and drinking it regularly helps keep liquids in you, which also helps production.

I get it at HyVee, but find it at health food stores as well. Their info: 1-800-YOGI-TEA or www.yogitea.com. Hope that helps!

God bless!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I am currently going through a somewhat similar situation. I had to stop nursing for a week - not months, like you - because of some medication I was on. The best thing for me to re-establish my milk supply was to take herbs: Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle. They were recommended to me by my lactation consultant, and have worked wonders. The only small disadvantage is that they can also be used as a natural laxative, so there's that to deal with - but totally worth it to be able to feed my little boy. (You can go to kellymom.com for more information about dosage and side effects.) I'm still not back to "full capacity," but after a week, I'm definitely getting there. Good luck! :)

1 / 3