Is the 4Th Harry Potter Book Appropriate for a 3Rd Grader?

My son is begging to read the 4th Harry Potter Book, the Goblet of Fire. He's read the first 3 Harry Potter books and loves them. I haven't read the 4th book myself-I don't have time to read 740+ pages with 3 kids at home, but I have read several reviews on the book and it seems as though it wouldn't be appropriate for and 8 year old. While I'm thrilled he's excited about reading, I'm concerned this might not be the best book for him. Has anyone read the book themselves, or had their child read it. What are your opinions?

Thanks for all the input! We went ahead and got the book. We're going to start by reading most of it together in the evenings-normally, he just reads on his own. Each evening, we'll talk about what he read during the day at school and read for awhile together. He's fairly mature and realizes that it's not reality. He's so excited about the book-he's already read 20 pages, and for a child who doesn't like to read, that wonderful!! We won't be watching the movie when he's finished...my kids know that PG-13 movies are for older kids.

It is darker than the first 3 because the trio is older and dealing with bigger issues. I think the comprehension or the larger vocabulary might be more of an issue than the content itself for a third grader. It really comes down to how you feel about it. I personally allow my son (he's 4 1/2) to read or listen to books that are for older children and when something comes up that he has a question on or a concern, we discuss it.

My 16 yr old has read all the Harry Potter books and she also has a 4th grade sister. She said that the book itself is fine but it has a lot of really big words in it and that maybe more of the problem. But she said she would let her sister read it.

I definately do not think it is appropriate. In my opinion the 4th book is where it goes from playful with dark undertones, to just plain dark.

My daughter liked the first HP movie when she was about 7 I think, but she found the second one a little scary and did not enjoy the whole thing covering her face part of the movie.
I believe that if a child is not ready for reading or watching they will know better than you do but might induce a dislike for it, you can read the book yourself and see if you think that he'll be OK reading it too or at least if it would be OK with you to let him start and see if he wants to read the whole thing.
My daughter is 9 now and didn't see or read any other HP book/movie again, just because she thinks that they are too scary. She reads a lot but not this kind of books, she likes "little House on the Prairie" or Boxcar Children and many other girlie books, so it really deppends on each child.
I also decided that I don't want her comming to my bed in the middle of the night because she is scare:)
Hope it helps.

This question really depends on your 8 year old. I'm a Potter fan and have read all the books and seen the movies. Book 4 starts Harry down a dark path and there is a closer to home death in the movie than in the other books. For the most part it isn't really that bad until the end of the book. My daughter is about to turn 8 and I think she could probably handle the book, but death is something she has experienced in real life and that we've talked about.

If you really aren't sure, rent the movie and watch it, it doesn't cover everything, of course, but does give you the gist of what is going to happen. A note on the movie, though, is that it was directed by a very dark director, so the whole movie has a dark feel when in your son's imagination during reading the book, it might not be so bad.

I read the entire series and LOVED it. That said, those books have a lot of deep issues housed within them. There is the obvious good versus evil. There is also a ton of racism. The "pure bloods" don't want anyone that is not them to exist. The plan is to destroy them. It is reminiscent of the Nazis. I say, let him read it. Read it with him! There are a lot of opportunity to teach him things about life and how those things make him feel. The purebloods are led by the evil Voldemort and have that mob mentality. There are great lessons to be taught using the issues in this book, but you have to be ready to teach them. It is an easy read.

I will say that a lot of these things do not surface as fiercely until the 5th or 6th book (I cannot remember which). I do remember one of those books leaving me in a very dark place. However, i do think that if you are ready to talk about those issues with him, it would be good for everyone! You don't have to bring up World War II, just see how he feels about it and talk through it so that if faced one day with mob mentality, racism or the choices between right and wrong, he might be better-equipped than an average kid (or adult for that matter).

I personally loved all of the Harry Potter books myself, however I do feel they get progressively darker as the books progress and I do not feel it would be appropriate for a 3rd grader.

I think the 4th book is fine for a third-grader, so long as he has already handled the first three books without problems. There is a death at the end of the book, but it's not gory--the kid dies almost instantly. Of course it's up to you, and it depends on the kid. My oldest daughter did fine with the book, and my second (who is now 8) is nowhere close to being ready, but more because she doesn't have the attention span for a book of that length.

i was a very mature reader...stephen king in at least 8th grade if i remember correctly. And I love the Potter books. If he had no problems with the first 3, no nightmares etc, then the 4th shouldnt be any more inappropriate.

1 / 3