Is a Changing Table Necessary???

Hi there ladies i have a bit of an "issue" i guess you can say with my DH. We've been debating over whether to get a changing table for our 1st baby's room. He states that we dont need one b/e i can change him in our room or on the crib. My comeback was "Well i dont think you want me to come into the room while you're sleeping and changing him on the bed and if i change him on the crib there's a slight chance i can get the sheets dirty" PLUS i found a great deal online for a crib, mattress, drawer and a changing table all for $250!!!!!!!! i mean how good is that!!! and my husband still said "nope we dont need it" So i just said "well if you find something better than that i guess we can buy it" BUT i've checked i found nothing lol so my question is to all mommies, is a changing table necessary for a baby when he has his own room?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments and advice.

Thanks very much for all the advice and comments!!! I decided that since its a great for all the items (crib, mattress, drawer and changing table for $250!!!!) that i am buying it no matter what my DH says besides I wont be spending that much and its a great deal PLUS most of the time who will be the one doing the changing??? lol

Hi H......
Baby #1 was brought upstairs, put on the changing table, with a bucket of warm water and a wash cloth, and cloth diapers complete with pins every SINGLE time!

Baby #3 was plopped down on any available floor space with wipees and pampers.

I'm with you, even if you don't use it every time, it's nice to have for storage.

:)

The option is a changing table or the floor. You don't want to do that in a crib, and normal dressers are trickier, but can be done. If you go to the floor, know that the first few weeks for you could be difficult, especially if you have a c-section. You also need to have some sort of organizer to all all that stuff...some sort of cabinet....with shelves...you could maybe put the changing pad on that...oh, wait, that's a changing table. LOL

Know that it will only be used (the top anyway) for about 9 months and then they get just too wiggly to be save and you move to the floor.

nope!, after a few months they outgrow it anyway. My bassinet came with one attached, otherwise i wouldnt have bothered

Hi H......

:)

It's not a necessary item but it's great to have one.Beleive me .. I was changing my son on our bed initially but then after we got the changing table I really felt glad that we bought it. My reasons are - there is always a clean surface to change baby everytime.On the bed , I had to always pull up a water proof sheet and grab his diapers and wipes etc everytime and this is like 10 times a day! If you have a changing table everything is right there! Also, changing tables are at a higher level than our beds , so no need for me to bend everytime which I really appreciate. Babies generally fuss during diaper changes , so having the right accesories help esp when it's first baby. But you can absolutely do without it unless you want it very comfortable like I do ;) You should never leave a baby on the changing table alone esp after they start rolling over.I think the floor is the safest as baby grows older. I got a spare changing pad for my son's nanny to use while changing him on the floor.

No, its not really needed, I dont have one, and been just fine without.
However, that is a really good deal so go for it! Tell him tough, and remind him that you are the one who is going to do the majority of the baby work not him, so you know what you need, and want. His opinion is noted but not needed because you've made your decision. Stand tough he will cave in when he realizes your right. Your the mommy, if momma aint happy nobody will be. lol.

Plus its your first baby, you should get anything you want!
Congrats! :)

I like someone else used a dresser and put a changing pad on top of it. I used it in the beginning for my oldest daughter, but for my second I hardly ever used it.

I had a portable changing pad, that I just threw on the floor, couch or bed that I used. I preferred it that way.

But I know people who think the changing table is an absolute necessity. I think if you feel it is, you justly deserve one.

I used mine a ton when she was a newborn. It was easier for me to stand b/c of stitches "down there" and no, I wouldn't change in the bed. Newborn diapers can be explosive, lol!
After about 6 months I just started changing her on the floor.

Our childrens changing table is on top of the dresser they share. Its a pad you can buy with a soft cover over it. Diaper genie is beside it as well as a basket with extra diapers and wipes. I didnt buy an actul changing table, but made one. I use it all the time, and i only change the 2 year old on the floor if its just a wet diaper and if the baby is asleep in the room they share. Standing is much easier for me, and most of my friends did it the same way.

I agree, its not necessary BUT I absolutely LOVE mine and that is the only place I change my daughter. When she is on it, she knows its time for a diaper change. If I try to change her on the floor she won't sit still because she wants to play which can get frustrating haha. I highly recommend that you do get one. It will come in great use. I have one with 2 shelves on the bottom and I use the bottom shelf for some of her toys, so I get double use out of it.

1 / 3