Infant Liquid Vitamins

I just started giving my son these vitamins. They are absolutely horrible tasting. He hates them and I don't blame him. I realize that he needs them though and would like to know how everyone else has gotten their infants to take them. They are really strong and I don't know what food I could even mix it with to mask the flavor. I haven't tried the different flavored vitamins yet. My first wouldn't take them even with the flavorings. Any suggestions?

Thanks for all of the great responses!! I decided to buy a liquid childs vitamin from Natures Sunshine. Our health food store reccomended it. Their childrens brand provides way more than the prescription anyway. I will only give him 1/4 of the dose until he reaches a year. I have also changed my prenatal vitamin to their brand also so that he continues to get high quality breast milk. He is also starting to eat a large variety of foods so I think he will be alright with the above changes. Thanks again Moms!!

We used Tri-Vi-Sol - NOT Poly, and NOT "with iron." Both of those tasted bad. My son adored the TVS, and he'd still be taking them if the pediatrician hadn't said it's no longer necessary (he's 2 and a really good eater). He loved it so much we made the drops part of his bedtime routine - he had to get into his crib to have them, and he couldn't wait!

Good luck - I have no experience masking med flavors.

My kids always took to the vitamins very well,but just wanted to add that if they are fluoride vitamins not to give them with milk based formula or milk when he's a year. My pediatrician told us that milk deactivates the fluoride because I had mentioned that my son got his vitamins with his breakfast- when he always drank his milk.

Hi A.!

I prefer to use high nutrition or liquid "superfoods" (food with unusually high nutrition/high phytonutrient content) foods for my kids, because our bodies were made for food, not synthetic extractions and therefore most is absorbed. (You probably know all of this since you run a vegetable stand!!) The one previous poster talked about the lack of iron absorption--very common since iron is a picky element that needs a set amount and quality of vitamin c and other trace minerals to be fully absorbed. There are many good opportunities you can use for an infant (7 mos. is great because of the developed swallowing reflex).

Here are superfoods I use on my kids:

* You can use flax seed meal, 1/2 tsp. mixed in cereal. I use the organic Hodgson's Mill, but there are other great brands. Purists will argue you will maximize nutrition if you get flax fresh and grind it yourself, which is true, but 2 small children and your own business probably keeps you crazy busy. At least this way you get most of it!
* Pureed carrots that I have cooked just until I can stick the fork almost all the way through. (I then stick them in the blender with filtered water on the highest speed until smooth.) Heating a carrot actually activates a vitamin compound that makes the nutrition stronger! BUT, use whole carrots scrubbed well, with the peel on and only cook until the fork almost goes through--not until its mushy.
* Blueberries. I put then in with the carrot in the blender. Really make sure the peel is finely pureed.
* Seaweed! Do you have an asian store near you? Follow instruction with the carrot.
* I do sell an organic multivamin that I use most of all. I am hesitant to tell you this because sometimes it seems posters are simply looking to further their business. You can click on my profile if you are interested in knowing more about it. Your 7 mo. old would only need a tsp., and 2-1/2 yr. old a 1/2 oz.

Hope this helps, and I wish you only the very best as you maintain your daily life and give to your kids!

Why does your son need vitamins? If you're breastfeeding, eating an excellent diet, and (if necessary) taking vitamins yourself, your son doesn't need anything more. Let your body do the filtering of all the needless junk that is added to vitamin supplements - preservatives, bonding agents, sugars or artificial sweeteners, and let your son just get the necessary nutrients directly from your milk. Work on developing a great, varied diet in your son now, while he's learning new tastes, so that vitamin supplementation is unnecessary.

we use Tri-Vi as well and they are awesome!! They have a peach flavor and my son loves them. I tried them too to make sure and they don't even leave an aftertaste. We were using the other ones and he spit it out all the time. I told the doc I was going to stop giving them to my son because it was a waste and she switched. Haven't had a problem since. Mention it to your pedi and I'm sure they'll write you a new script

I have been giving my children Shaklee vitamins for almost two years now. I started my son when he was six months old on the infant mix. It is powder and I would put it in applesauce for him. He really never gave me any problems taking it. I would also crush one of their chewable Vitamin C's and add that in as well. My children are rarely sick. I have not had to take them in for a sick visit in well over a year now. Since their vitamins are from whole food and biovailable I think they are the best on the market. My older daughter told me during this past winter when she was in the car with her friends and all of them were coughing and sneezing they asked her how come she is never sick. If you'd like to check them out go to http://www.shaklee.net/dudinyak/product/20073. Now that my son is 2 and not eating as well as I'd like I also give him Shaklee's mealshakes and it makes me feel like he is getting what he needs and he loves them.

We gave my first born those horrible liquid drops for a while, but they stunk and stained! So I found one that is powdered. I ran them by my pediatrician first (she thinks they're great and now gives them to her son!). Its natural and tastes decent. We mix it in yogurt/applesauce and he still has it every night. They are Rainbow Light Nutristart Vitamins: http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories~Category~a0de950b-...
I buy them at Whole Foods, but you can probably special order them at the Co-op or a Natural Foods store or buy them online. Hope this helps!

A.:
Are you exclusively breastfeeding? If so, you definately need to give a supplement with Vitamin D. Nature intended for babies and Mommies to be out in the sun (to get the vitamin D), but because the sun is too strong and we must slather on sunscreen, we are deficient.
I looked up the Shaklee vitamins as I was excited to see that there was an alternative to the nasty stuff. Unfortunately, I compared the labels and found the following: Trivitamin drops (yucky liquid) Vitamin A 1500 I.U (100% Daily value) Vitamin D 400 IU (100% DV) Vitamin C 35mg (100% DV)
Shaklee Vitamins Vitamin A 1250 IU (83% DV) Vitamin D 100 IU (only 25% DV)Vitamin C 20 mg (57% DV)
Cnclusion: the yucky stuff is still superior. I put it in prunes to hide it

1 / 3