Vitamin Supplements for One Year Old

Need recommendation on brand of vitamin supplement. My doctor told me that my one olds iron level is low and recommended that I giver her a vitamin supplement. I am not sure which kind to use. Thanks for your help.

Shaklee vitamins are great - http://healthchoices.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku...

There was a report awhile back about lead in children's vitamins done by the FDA - You might do a google search on that to see if the report is still available. Shaklee's vitamins are thoroughly tested and safe.

I do sell the products - if you are interested - let me know and I will give you a discount.

I use the gummy Flinestone vitamins. I have to cut them up in 3rd's b/c they are kind of hard for my 2 1/2 to chew. She does good with them.

Be cautious of companies that are NOT regulated by the FDA. Most companies (especially those advertising primarily via the internet) are not. You can verify by visiting FDA.org The Federal Trade Commission is often shutting down companies for making false/misleading claims on products.

I'd ask the pediatrician for more clarification on what is an appropriate amount/brand for a child that young. Ours still has our kids on only 1/2 multivitamin/day. Our kids are 22 months and 3.5 years.

We get the good old-fashioned Flintstone vitamins at Costco to help save on the cost.

If your pediatrician can't give you good guidance, ask a pharmacist. They usually have access to information on what quantities are best at what age and will help guide you.

Here's some information from the American Academy of Pediatrics regarding supplements when necessary for a child the age of yours:
http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/toddle...

We used the Shaklee vitamin powder, Love it, now our kids are older we use the vitamins chewables.

I would use vitamin drops unless she can chew a gummy or chewable. Also if you give her iron rich foods, such as spinache it should help.

I recommend the children's vitamins from Melaleuca, they are very well absorbed.

You could ask the doctor which vitamin he/she recommends. Ours recommended the liquid Enfamil poly-vi-sol with iron. I have an unusual kid I guess, cause he really liked the taste of the vitamins!

Children under 2 should not be on any vitamins. Try to keep their diet as healthy as possible. They can get all of their nutrition from the foods they eat. Try to avoid processed snacks like fruit snacks, or anything that is processed or packaged. They may claim high in calcium, or vitamin C, but are loaded with sodium, sugars and added calories. Reach for fresh fruits, dark veggies (loaded with Iron) and Fiber rich grains. Children under 2 still have underdeveloped immune systems and they are trying to build them on their own. If we load them up on vitamins, it give them a false immune system and they are more susceptible to colds and flus. Only get them on vitamins or supplements if their doctors suggest it. If you do need a vitamin supplement, choose one that is 100% Whole food (certified organic) you will not find one off the local pharmacies, retail super stores or general nutrition stores. Go to a Organic whole food store. Another Suggestion would be Nutrilite. This is a line that is 100% certified organic. Here is a website you can check out www.figglesfit.com search childrens supplements to purchase or also visit www.nutrilite.com for more information. Do your own research, you know what is best for your child.
H.

we use the Enfamil brand liquid supplement for our almost two year old. we've used it for about a year now. it does have that icky vitamin taste, so i would suggest adding it to a cup/bottle of juice. our daughter wouldn't drink unless we did that, because she could taste it if we didn't.

1 / 3