If You Say Your House Is a Wreck...

...what do you really mean?

I've been in "messy" homes where the stack of magazines on the coffee table was off-center or there were dirty dishes rinsed and sitting in the sink. I am constantly being told that my house is "not that bad" or "couldn't be that bad," but I try to assure people, it is. I don't think we would be condemned, we are not harboring any colonies of cockroaches or rodents, but it is a rare night that I go to bed with a clean kitchen or picked up living room. I am so pathetic that I take pictures of things when I clean them because it makes me happy to see things clean and tidy and I know it won't last. I'm not looking for cleaning advice, time and energy, and a bigger apartment (or at least closets) are all I really need, and my kids are healthy and happy. I'm just curious if anyone else ever says that their house is really bad, and if so, what that means to each person. For example, my sister-in-law would consider her apartment too messy if she left clean dishes in the dish drainer or a stack of folded kitchen towels on the counter. She is always trying to tell me I just have a house with small children and working parents.

Just curious! =)

Thanks for all the replies! I sometimes feel people's homes are so much cleaner because they go into a frenzy before having company over, so that is all I see. I just finished soaking/scraping Cheerios off the kitchen floor from earlier this week and I'm soaking dishes from the past couple of nights (they are never quite done and we don't have a dishwasher). My kids are in the living room snuggled in the clean laundry they pulled off the couch and I can see that nobody put shoes away in the dresser I stuck in the living room just for that purpose (that includes me tonight). The kids are smiling though and I think the next batch of dishes is just about ready for some scrubbing. It is so hard to accept that housekeeping standards might have to drop to something I do not like, so it is really nice to read these stories!

My mom's motto (and I have adopted it as my own) is "A happy home has sticky floors and noisy kids".

Lots of dog hair. I have two dogs and love them, but don't love the accompanying vacuuming.

And my bedroom floor is always covered with worn-once-but-can-be-worn-again clothing. I'm like a teenager like that. My husband has learned to ignore it.

Having 2 school aged kids and a spouse who works odd hours and carries his "lunch" meal with him... our home schedule can be hectic/crazy. The house is OFTEN pretty...welllll.... pretty messy. Unkempt. But if I am sick for a day or two, or go out of town for a weekend or holiday, or I am just not home all day for more than one day at a time (that happens sometimes with appts, grocery shopping, errands, after-school activities, church, etc)... then the house is really a wreck. WRECK.
What that means is that in addition to the mail that can't be tossed just yet (because hubby might want to look through that mail order catalog or order a new pair of running shoes from his discount outlet New Balance flyer) that is stacked on the kitchen island, and the coffee-go-cup that has to be handwashed that I brought in from the car when I lugged in the groceries, and the socks that my son and my daughter left in the floor, and the karate gym bags the kids dropped on the floor when they walked in at 8:00pm last night with drive-thru drinks in their other hands, and the flip flops beside the dog bowl, and the recycle-able bottles on the kitchen counter that need to be taken to the garage, and the newspaper on the sofa from last night, and hubby's Tshirt he slept in on the bathroom counter, and his "perfect push-ups" things in the bedroom floor, and the change on the closet floor... in addition to all of that... There is almost a full load of dishes in the dishwasher that needs to be run, and more on the counter/sink that won't fit, the refrigerator is full of left-overs that need to be tossed, the sofa has load of laundry spread out on the back (so it won't get wrinkled) that still needs to be put away and there are clothes in both the washer and dryer, but the ones in the dryer are cold (from yesterday) and need to be warmed to knock the wrinkles out before I can add them to the ones on the sofa, and every section of the laundry sorter is overflowing onto the floor so that you can't get through the laundry room to the garage to throw out the recycle-able bottles. :(
And there are supplies stacked on the kitchen counter for 2 different school projects that aren't ready yet, but the stuff won't go anywhere else. And the newspaper basket didn't get emptied last week on time, so the recycle bin is overflowing and so is the newspaper basket. And hubby went running and finished off the gatorade I made in the 2 qt bottle in the fridge and that is now on the counter to be washed. And he just brought in his empty water bottles from the car (that need to go to the recycle bin, but they still have 3/4 of an inch of water in them) and set them next to his sweaty golf hat and left his wet/sweaty running clothes/socks on the bathroom floor between the door and the closet (where he took them off as he was walking). And I have my coupons that I save from the papers, but haven't yet clipped, stacked with some other papers I need to deal with (insurance stuff) on the kitchen island. But somebody spilled milk and wiped it up but didn't CLEAN it, so everything is sticky/stuck to the counter top.

And there are about 5 plastic cups scattered around the house in various places all with 1 inch of something in the bottom... probably water. 3 of these will be in the kitchen and they will all belong to the same person.

Why oh why did I answer this question?! Now I'll never get to sleep tonight... I still have to make something for the church potluck... and I have the recipe book out for that...

hahahahhahhahah

My house is a pit. I'm embarrassed to have people come in. It has been this way since my daughter (my second child - both are under two!) was born two months ago. The kitchen has dirty dishes in the sink (but no more dirty dishes than fit in the sink) and counter tops are not scrubbed, but the table is. You wouldn't know it, though, because the table is covered with mail I need to sort through and the like. My carpet was vacuumed earlier this week, but I have 3 dogs, so it isn't clean-looking anymore, with fur and leaves. There are toys all over the family room, but my living room and dining rooms are clean. The worst, though, is my bedroom. It's where all of the junk and laundry that I don't want kicking around the rest of the house goes. *sigh* I vaguely remember that, before I had kids, my house was immaculate every night when I went to sleep. I mean it. Scrubbed and shining. And then, after my son was born, it wasn't clean but it wasn't like this. I have hopes that, when my daughter is a little bigger and I'm able to put her down for a while, I'll get back to the days when I can at least get the laundry put into baskets after I wash it! ^_^

I let things pile up on my dresser and the kitchen cabinet. Papers, random stuff, I let it clutter and it drives my husband crazy. I can also be pretty embarrased if people come over and I havent had a chance to pick up all the toys that have accumulated all over the living room floor....and no one but hte hubby sees the bedroom where the floor is barely seen through the piles of clothes on the floor. But at least nothing is filthy and we've never had bugs,

I have a 2.5 year old and an almost 5 year old and I have battled breast cancer this year. I have had 7 surgeries in the past 13 months and went through 6 months of chemo, so my house has had it's share of messes this year! All I can say is that there are some things that are more important than a messy house. I'm happy that my kids are healthy and that I am now cancer free and if I have some (okay, a lot on most days) toys laying around on the floor, then that is the least of my worries. I try to keep the dishes done (or loaded into the dishwasher) and the laundry put in hampers, so my mess is usually just toys and we have a major clutter issue with papers (kid's art they bring home from school, mail, etc.), but I try to keep the papers contained to one area of the kitchen and I figure if the toys don't get picked up at night....that's okay because the kids are just going to get them out again in the morning anyway! ;-)

My idea of a messy house is to have the clutter everywhere and I do get overwhelmed by it sometimes because I am usually a very organized "everything has it's place" type of person, but I physically was not able to maintain that lifestyle this year due to my limited mobility and lack of energy from the chemo and I think I've learned that it's okay that it's not perfect. I have a cleaning crew that comes every 2 weeks to do the heavy cleaning, so I know my house is "clean", just not very neat most of the time. It's all a season when you have small kids at home and I hope to have my "neat" house back someday when they're older, but in the meantime, we just do the best we can!

I always feel like my house could look better! I put the dishes away and wipe the kitchen counters every night and pick up the toys only because when I see those things in the morning it makes me want to go right back to bed. I do a little everyday (clean bathrooms, laundry, etc) but my floors are never clean. It drives me nuts and embarrasses me but between 2 kids, a hubby, and three dogs going in and out all day long and the constant shedding from the dogs it just isn't and I do sweep everyday. Also I am terrible at paying attention to detail like the blinds, scrubbing base boards things like that. Papers and books get stacked on the kitchen table most of the time till I get to them, and laundry that needs to be folded is in the living room at least two days a week. I DO spend most of the day playing with my kids!

Oh please.. may house is always needing to be cleaned and picked up.. We live in a tiny house, but always seem to be in the middle of a project..

I decorate homes for the for the holidays and have been working crazy hours..My husbands job is lots of hours. I went into the kitchen and the sink is over flowing with dishes, there are "to go" containers that need to be rinsed for the recycle.. our bathroom is a disaster.. My desk is piled high with paperwork and mail from this whole week..

I need to do laundry tonight, I have nothing to wear tomorrow to work with another client..

But we are happy and lucky to be so busy...

1 / 3