If You Could Choose to Have a D&C or a Natural Miscarriage

I just found out on Friday that I no longer have a viable pregnancy. My doctor did an ultrasound, and the baby measured where it should be - about 9 weeks, 2 days, but the doctor could not find a heartbeat. She has given me the option to schedule a D&C this week or wait and miscarry naturally at home (assuming no complications). I had a D&C last spring, because I had a partial molar pregnancy. In that case, I was not given an option, plus, during the ultrasound, the baby was measuring 2 weeks behind where it should have been, so it was an easier choice. So, for those of you that miscarried at home, do you have any advice. I am concerned about the pain and potential complications, plus I am not sure I want to wait until my body recognizes it. My doctor said that could take some time and the farther along you are, the more risk for heavy bleeding, etc.
Just to clarify - I did have my HCG levels checked on Friday when I found out, but since that was my 1st appointment, I do not know if the doctor will be able to confirm based on the levels, or if I will need to have another draw this week so they can compare (that they have not increased). I, too, am concerned about choosing the d&c based only on not finding the heartbeat. My doctor is not in until this afternoon, so I need to wait to get the answer to that.

Thanks for all the support and advice. I had another ultrasound today because I needed that confirmation before I went ahead with the D&C. The 2nd ultrasound confirmed what the doctor found last week - that there was no heartbeat. I have a D&C scheduled for Thursday.

I am sorry that you are dealing with this. I had the same experience at about 8 weeks. I elected to "wait it out". After almost three weeks of light bleeding and spotting (not much pain) - just like a LONG period, the Dr. said it wasn't over. I don't think they can predict the experience as they are alI different. I wouldnt' think it would be too bad at 9-10 weeks, but again, I never experienced the full miscarriage. I was emotionally tired of "waiting" so elected for the D&C at that point. I don't regret that choice at all. I needed to move on. 2 mos. later, I was pregnant with my first - she's now almost 5! Hang in there and do what is right for you. Take good care.

So sorry...

I had the exact situation .. heard the heart beat, then a week later no heart beat. Tough. I had a D&C b/c I couldn't go through (mentally) the whole not knowing when it was going to pass, what if it started when I was out somewhere, etc. I preferred to know when it was going to take place and when I could start my grieving/moving forward process.

Good luck w/ whatever decision you make.

I opted to have the miscarriage at home and unfortunately had to have a d&c 3 weeks later. The miscarriage itself wasn't so bad, it wasn't as painful as I thought, but then it was incomplete. I do wish though I didn't have to have the d&c. I am sorry that you have to go through this. My heart goes out to you.

I miscarried naturally (at home) 4 times. At 5 1/2 weeks, 6 1/2 weeks, 11 weeks, and 13 weeks.

YES, it is painful. (The 2 that were further along.) However, once the miscarriage started, I filled the tub with REALLY WARM water and spent my time soaking in there and alternately sitting on the toilet when I knew my body was going to expel something.

HOWEVER, I DON"T REGRET IT AT ALL! I didn't want to have to wonder if the doctor made a mistake. (I had read some stories online about that happening.....) I didn't want to have to worry about scarring. I did NOT have excessive bleeding afterward. I still bled for a few days but not what I would consider "excessive". Just the day of the miscarriage would seem like a lot.

I found out our baby's heart stopped at 9 1/2 weeks (I was then 10 1/2 weeks) and I miscarried at 11 weeks.

I found out at about 10 weeks that our baby's heart stopped beating at 6 weeks. I didn't miscarry that one till about 13 weeks.

First, so sorry for your loss.
I've been through both a D&C and 2 natural miscarriages. My D&C I was 11 1/2 weeks, the other two I was 6 weeks and 9 weeks. For my 9 week one it was heavy cramping but not horrid pain. In my experience, the pain of miscarring at home isn't anything worse than the pain of recovering from a D&C.
If I was in your shoes I would set a time limit, something like if I haven't passed it on my own in 10 days, schedule a D&C. The longer it takes for your body to recognize it and pass it on your own is when your risks go up of severe bleeding and emergency D&C (I don't want to scare, but a good friend of mine tried to miscarry at home, ended up with severe bleeding and an emergency D&C and it was pretty rough, so that is why I say give yourself a time limit.)

Having miscarried at home twice, with no prior warning, I would probably choose to do the same again. My first was around 8 weeks and my second 11-12 weeks.

The first time it wasn't much more than a really heavy period and very bad cramping. The second time was more like a mini labor. It took about 5 hours to complete and was the worst pain I'd felt up to that point.

There is a lot of blood and pain, but I believe that it is best to let them pass naturally whenever possible. Of course, you should get a follow up whatever you decide.

I am sorry for your potential loss. For me, not being able to find a heartbeat isn't enough. I'd want an HCG level taken to be sure.

I'm so sorry. I went through this last year too. I was 11 weeks when the U/S showed no heartbeat, the baby passed at around 8 weeks. I chose to wait and miscarry on my own, I guess I just had faith that my body would know what to do. I think I also just wanted to wait "just in case". About 4 days later it started. I had really heavy cramping and then I could actually feel when it came down, just be prepared to be near a bathroom when you start cramping. I thank god it happened in the middle of the night so that I wasn't trying to run after my girls at the same time. I bled kind of like a heavy period for about a week after that and my hcg levels were down to 01 after that whole week. They usually want to moniter your levels to make sure they go down to zero. I also had an ectopic last year and my doc told me they do that because any leftover hcg can be cancer causing. Take care.

I chose a natural miscarriage, followed by a D&C. I felt it was a "true" end to my pregnancy.

I am so sorry you are faced with a decision such as this! My heart goes out to you and your family.

I have never had a miscarriage so my advice is based solely on feeling not experience. I think I would wait.....the baby was measuring right on target, just didn't hear a heatbeat...maybe something was off or baby was not turned right? I am not sure that not the doctor not hearing a heartbeat once would be enough for me to decide to do a D&C. Is there another test they can do? Check HCG levels? Another ultra sound? IDK I guess I would have a hard time accepting it unless my body naturally took care of it...just MHO

I think it is always better to let your body do its thing (as long as there are no complications such as fever/infection/etc) on its own. Especially if you're early along & they couldn't find a heart beat. At 16 weeks w/my first baby, they couldn't find the heart beat. So they sent me in for a regular ultrasound + trans / vag if needed. During the ultrasound, my son was quiescent for 2 minutes, and then, outta nowhere - 145, 150, 143, holding... a strong, healthy heart beat. I know how it feels to miscarry - I would go w/ your instincts & try to just let this happen naturally if you can. I hope the best for you dear.

1 / 3