Ideas for Taking a Treat to School for Birthday

Its my daughters birthday next week and i was hoping to get a few ideas of a small treat she could bring to school to share with the rest of her class. It would be nice to avoid cup cakes as they've only just celebrated a birthday with those last week.

my daughters birthday was last Wed...and we were trying to bring in something on the healthier side. So we brought in a big watermelon, cut it into the usual triangles...and the kids loved it!

I saw this idea in a magazine and can't wait to try it for my own daughter. Get a melon such as a watermelon, cantaloupe, etc and cut into about 1" slices. Then take a scalloped cookie cutter and cut out the shapes to look like the base of a cupcake. Place each one in a cupcake liner. Put whip cream on the top as if it was icing and then place blueberries or raspberries on the top to finish them off. You get a healthy snack that looks like a cupcake. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I teach kindergarten and last week was the first birthday in class. Since I have a diabetic student in my class I suggested to all families to bring in a favorite fruit or vegetable. The family brought in delicious red seedless grapes that were already cleaned. The students loved them! Even my diabetic student was able to enjoy the snack with the other students. Afterwards they put the stems and the grapes that fell on the floor in the compost bin for the school garden.

Family Fun magazine had this idea in a recent issue: Mix 3 cups popcorn with some mini-pretzels, cereal (chex or cheerios etc.) and some raisins or m&m's and serve in an ice cream cone. Each child gets their own cone filled with the mixture. Look on familyfun.com for the exact recipe and how many servings it makes.

i would stick to the usual. things that dont take up to much time and dont make too much mess. Cookies are good. you can buy them with frosting on them, and bring drinks to go with them.

I use to always bring popsicles as the birthday treat when my daughter was in grammer school since she was born late May. It's September and still warm out so a popscile is a refreshing treat! Just make sure to bring a small cooler! It's inexpensive and no need to take time out to make anything. Cookies are good too :-)

My sons first grade teacher said that popsicles are a big hit. you could always go to www.familyfun.com they have great ideas for everything. Good Luck!

Doughnut holes. The teachers and kids like them.

My son's school does not allow any birthday treats with sugar. I was excited to see your questions and all the suggestions. We are bringing in a platter of fruits and vegetables so the kids can celebrate by "eating the rainbow" then I will give the kids a pencil or something school related from the dollar store as a favor to take home.

Thanks M. for posting this great question that every mom will face!

How about zuchinni bread with cream cheese on it? Another idea is strawberries dipped in sour cream and then brown sugar. I know it doesn't sound like it would be good but it is delicious.

1 / 3