Looking for Alternative to Cupcakes for School.

Hi! This is my first year with a child in school and boy is it different. My daughter is on Pre-K. Everytime there is a birthday the child's parent brings cupcakes for the snack that day. I don't have a problem with this but it is sometimes 2-3 times a week. Since we don't celebrater birthdays I try to do a special treat for other occasions, like someone moving, the teacher coming back from leave, 100th day of school, etc. So to break up the cupcake trend I want to do another kind of treat/snack. Any ideas? Something the kids will love and is easy. One thing I was thinking of was chocolate dipped fruit pieces. I would love to hear what some of you do for special occasions at school.

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I think the fruit or rice krispy treat would be easy and fun, easpecially piping on some icing. I was thinking about speaking something out, like "Welcome Back". The teacher is coming back from maternity leave in a few weeks and I thought it would be nice to celebrate her comeing back. As for why we don't observe bithdays. We are Jehovah's Witnesses and do not observe any of the secular or religious holidays. Look up the origin of birthdays and their celebration in the Encyclopedia Americana. We do have lots of play dates and parties for the kids and they love getting "just because we love you" presents. I really want to be involved in her class and I think doing things like this outside of holidays and birthdays is a way to still be involved and make the kids feel special.
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

How about rice crispy treats? They are quick and easy, kids love them, and they can be shaped or decorated for any occasion. And since they're made from cereal, there is at least a ~little~ nutritional value there lol! You could get a leaf cookie cutter and shape them for autumn and even pipe an orange (icing) or brown (melted chocolate) outline on top. Or snowmen or snowflakes with white icing for winter... It's a lot quicker than baking cookies or cupcakes too!

Rice crispy treats are great and you can substitute the rice crispies with healthier cereals like cheerios or Kix...

I've made angel food cake in cupcakes and topped them with a little whipped cream and fresh strawberries before... a little healthier and less sugar than traditional cupcakes. My mother in law ordered a skewered fruit arrangement for my son's 2nd bday for his class and that was a huge hit. I think you can easily make them at home with grapes, some melon, pineapple, etc.

There is a book called <I>Favorite Brand Name Classroom Treats</I> that is full of great ideas, and not all of them are sweets! It has recipes for snack mixes, sandwiches, dipped pretzels, hot dogs wrapped in breadsticks, and even "taco cups" as well as your typical brownies/cakes/cupcakes/cookies. One idea I liked is something they call "Stuffed Bundles" which is made from a can of pizza dough, ham or turkey, and cheese. Basically you cut up the pizza dough into 12 rectangles, fill each with ham and cheese or turkey and cheese, wrap up and pop into a muffin tin and bake. If you want more details or need a recipe, send me a note. Or you may be able to get the book from your library. Good luck!

What about frozen friut pops or frozen bananas?

My kids preschool decided to limited birthday parties to one day a month. The first Friday of every month is designated birthday day and the parents whose children have birthdays that month get together to plan the party. It takes a little "working in advance" but then you can do cool things, like chipping in and buying pizza for all the kids for lunch instead of bringing their lunch. Or having thier craft as the snack. Get pretzles and cheese and make a pirate ship of their own, etc. We always have cupcakes too, but then it is only once a month and not 7 times!

There are great websites online for creative snacks, I will say I like the chocolate dipped fruit thing, but that is because I absolutely love white chocolate :)

Perhaps sending those suggestions for school will help out, and then those parents like yourself who do not celebrate birthdays won't be "left out" you can just choose a month to help out and it doesn't allow your children to feel left out because they didn't celebrate their birthday at school.

White and dark chocolate dipped pretzels, with or without sprinkles are good.

The 100 days celebration could be 100 cheerios or raisins or goldfish, mixed.

Ants on a log (celery, pb, raisins)

Anything different shapes, graham cracker (Car),icing or pb,
marshmallow (wheels), animal cracker (animal or driver)

Always a hit- fresh fruit skewers. I get fresh strawberries, grapes, star fruit and a melon of some sort. Put four or five pieces on each skewer. Then cut a canteloupe in half, lay it flat and stick the skewers in teh outside of the melon. Great display and there are never any leftovers!

Something store-bought and relatively healthy- Gogurts from the yogurt section of the grocery store.

Fruit is always a good idea. Just out of curiosity why don't you celebrate birthdays?

My daughter's elementary school does not allow anything "homemade" for snacks or birthday treats so it MUST be store bought. A big favorite for a treat is yogurt covered raisins. They can be found in individual sized boxes right next to the boxed raisins OR many stores have them in those containers where you can scoop out what you want and they sell them for so much $ per pound. I REALLY liked the suggestion about having ONE birthday celebration in the classroom per month for everyone celebrating a birthday that month, this saves, time, money and gets the parents cooperating together. Also several minds and ideas are better than one as evidenced on mamasource!

1 / 3