I Have to Deal with a Stepmom Who Oversteps Her Boundaries ?

my ex is remaried to a girl who thinks she is my girls mom ? she tells the girls friends parents she is the mom, she always tries to do things i shoud do . haircuts ,doctors, school stuff .my ex and her try to keep me as an outsider . she tells my kids they cant were stuff. i buy them from my house .she acts like shes such a great mom she has children of her own that she only sees twice a month ?why do they do this ?

Its funny after reading all the responses saying its the stepmom's fault and that she's crazy, no one is sticking up for her?! Has anyone thought about WHY she's stepping in to do these things...maybe she waited and waited and waited for you to get the job done, and when their school needed immunizations or when the girls hair was too tangly to brush through that's when she stepped in to help. And be there for the kids. Its funny - I think the mom SHOULD be doing all these things, so what's wrong with you? I bet you think its ok for you kids to ride around without helmets on your property, too...its safe right, just cause "there's nothing around to hurt them"? Oh wait the CONCRETE!

Well maybe that was a low blow, I'm sure you aren't as big an idiot as the mom I'm dealing with (as a stepmom). I'm sure you don't send your kids to their dads with smelly breath, and waxy ears, and poop-stains in their pants... oh and not to mention the hundreds of flea bites all over, or the mildewed stained clothes.

I'm just saying - maybe that stepmom saw an obvious lacking in care for the kids... there's always two sides.

Oh and ps - my kids asked to call me mom, and for me to call them my own...think about that??

First of all, your feelings are valid and natural. What you have to ask yourself is what is your first priority? What is most important to you? Of all the complaints you could have about your kids' stepmother, at least it's that she is "mothering" them too much, instead of not enough. It's far better for your children that you all deal with this particular annoyance rather than an issue of neglect and refusal to parent on the stepmother's part. As obnoxious and frustrating as is surely must be, try to keep a grateful attitude that at least your children are being cared for "too much" instead of being ignored or terribly mistreated. If you do your best to keep a level head and not let things get ugly (especially in front of your kids), the children will be much better off. Try to resist the impulse to give this woman a piece of your mind, because only more negativity will come from it on both sides and your kids will pay the price. See what you can do to approach the stepmom from a position (even if you're faking it) of, "I know we both just want what's best for the kids and they really respond well to the doctor I take them to, so could I come by and pick up Sarah for an appointment on Tuesday? I really appreciate you keeping up with these important issues." (etc.) You'll have a lot more power if you use a positive "teamwork" approach to influence her behavior. You'll have to grit your teeth and bite your tongue sometimes, but if you're ultimate goal is to manipulate the woman into behaving more like you'd like her to, this is the best way to get there. And of course, your kids are the most important thing here, so don't let that get run over by annoyance and parenting politics (which is easy for anyone to do). Best of luck!

I just sent you a letter involving your son! Lol. Honey, the best thing to do is put her in her place. Just to the point tell her to leave your children alone and tend to her own. Just because she can't see hers (for who knows why??)she needs to back off. In this family, these are your children. If it continues call the police and press charges of her interfering in your home and in your children's lives. Find out why she only sees hers so in frequently! Use it against her. Fight for what is yours!

My question to you is, Who has custody of your daughter? I am also a step-mother to a now 20 year old who got married in May. As she was growing up she lived with her mom and came to visit her dad and I when SHE wanted to. In her mom's custody her mom and step-dad played the roles of mom and dad. She moved in with us before turning 16 and then her dad and I played those roles. I always made sure she kept a good relationship with her mom, but I did those things that was needed of me while she lived with me. I refer to her as my daughter just like I do my own biological children. At her wedding we all (her mom, dad, step-dad and me) had a part in giving her away. We were all acknowledged as being her parents. She wanted her dad to walk her down the aisle but her step-dad did the first dance.
It is a tough job being a step parent and this lady may just be trying to make and keep a good relationship with your daughter (her step-daughter). But I would suggest that if in fact you have custody and you want to do these things that she is doing then you should talk to your ex, her and maybe even your daughter (depending how old she is). Be there for your daughter and she will appreciate ALL of her family being there for her and supporting her. I am not saying that you have to be friends with this lady (me and my husbands ex have only seen each other a few times) but don't bad mouth her around your daughter either because she will remember that.
Good Luck!! and god Bless!!

it just because she is married to your ex- she is jealous of the way the daughter is in the house hold she tell people lie that it was her's she sure have say step daughter instead of my daughter . It is part of the married life that she deal with . It was your ex that want to make her their daughter ,people will say this thing because they don't want to mention you are the mother of that child you raise and where the she came from. your ex- and his wife went too far mention it was their daughter , when your daughter grow up she will know what going on in the family. Well like you said she does all this thing it is probably she want to win your daughter over .But your daughter is your daughter no matter what . You will have to deal with her when she grow up and she will love both you and the ex and her stepmother. Just give your daughter all the love you can and make her feel more at home with you . you can tell the stepmother to stop doing thing for your daughter and that it was your plan to do it not her.

perhaps, IGNORANCE??? Many step-moms do that! They either want to try to be better, or they are trying to impress the husband, or the want "to be liked best". Pity her, and keep the good relationship with your daughter and keep the communication open. You are Mom, and no one can change that! God Bless.

I'm guessing she has personality problems. Watch for this type of behavior to stop after she gets bored with it. Also, she might totally reverse coarse and start treating them poorly after a while. Take notes, talk with your ex to set clear boundaries, and coach your daughter as best you can without bad talking her step-mother to her face.

Who has the most custody? I would never stand for that! If you have primary custody I would tell your ex that he better get his 'wifey' under control or you will take him back to court! She has no right to tell your children anything like that against you. When they are with them in their home, they can tell them what to wear but other than that, she needs to take care of her own kids....that she doesn't even have custody of! UGH

1 / 3