Hyesterical Pain After Hysterectomy!?!?

Okay, so I have been subscribed to this website for over a year and absolutely love it! I can't tell you the times I've given advice to others, or that I've read advice from other mom's posts and applied the advice or ideas from the other wonderful moms on this site!

Well, it looks like it's my turn now--four days ago, I had my uterus and 1/2 of one of my ovaries removed. My question is how long am I going to be in this awful pain?????? They had to do some "exploratory" stuff so I have an incision from belly button down to the pelvic bone. Since my surgeon needed to get in there and "look around" I wasn't afforded the wonderful new technology of laser/transvaginal removal of the uterus and ovary.

Also, my stomach is still sticking out like I am 9 months pregnant; how long does that last? I tried to go to church last night and only made it about 1/2 way through the service (just my luck, we had some guest pators and service was longer than usual) before I was trembling and crying in pain; I am taking my pain medication every three hours and the pain is bearable (barely) as long as I take it when I am supposed to. But--oh my--if I take it even 1 hour later than scheduled I can't even walk.

I ask all of these questions, because at the age of 37, this is my 6th surgery. I have suffered with back issues since I was 16 and have had several surgeries on my back. So, when my OB/GYN told me that I had a pelvic mass, my uterus was twice as big as it should be and he wanted to schedule the surgery ASAP, I thought this would be a cake walk! HA! As you can see, I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.. This is, by far, the most painful "post" surgery pain I have ever experienced.

And, I guess while I'm here, I should ask if any of you can kind of give me a "heads up" on how this surgery will cause any mental or physical changes, if any, since they were able to leave 1 1/2 ovaries and I will not have to take synthetic hormones.

Thanks in advance, any advice will be much appreciated!

I cannot even begin to express my thanks to all of the wonderful women on this site and their wonderful advice! I think that every woman on the planet should be a member of this website! If you are connected with Mamasource, you are never alone! So, thank you, to all of the amazing women that responded to my request for advice. Not only did I learn that I was absolutely moving around too much too quickly after surgery, but I also received wonderful advice on what to expect long-term after a hysterectomy; both physically and emotionally. I will certainly be using this website more actively now with any questions or struggles I have in my personal life, as a woman. Only women truly understand women! :) And it's very nice to get advice from women who I do not necessarily have a personal relationship with. Although, many of the women that responded, I found myself wishing that I could get to know them better and make new friendships! Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you! God Bless each and every one of you for the wonderful advice, sharing your own personal stories and letting me know that I wasn't alone! I'm still in the healing process, but I'm feeling much better! You ladies are awesome! :) S. Woodall

I had a hysterectomy back in Nov and found a great web group that may help you it's HYSTERSISTER.COM. They have all kinds of information and can answer any questions. Good luck

The recovery from this should be similar to your other abdominal surgeries, so get back in and be seen as quickly as possible. I will say that going to church 3 days after major surgery is really pushing it. Staying home for 10 days to 2 weeks would be a good idea. Your body has been through a trauma and you really need to take it easy. Use this as an "excuse" to let others do your YOU for a while!

Hi S. my name is D. im from a small town in oklahoma I'm 29 yrs. old and the mother of 2 boys ages 11 and 3, 3 yrs ago today (march 2nd) I had to have a complete hysterectomy (my youngest was almost 2 months old) at first my doctor told my husband and I that the surgery would take about an hour, they had it planned to do it laproscopicly well almost 5 hrs later my surgery was done and they had to cut me open doing the bikini cut, my female problems were WAY worse than the doctors expected i spent 3 days in the hospital and another 6 weeks in bed, it was the worst pain i had ever had, so I do know where you are coming from on the pain issue, and was stomach was so bloated and that is do to the gas they pump into your stomach durning the surgery and that in itsself was very painful I had to have my husband and mother help me to the restroom because I couldnt walk, my doctor told me that the more I walked the more pressure and gas I would release off of my stomach... EASY FOR HIM TO SAY LOL!! I know that every one is diffrent but with my surgery it was 6 weeks before i was able to do anything because of the pain. I hope this helps and I do wish you all the best and a speedy recovery.

Hey, I agree you are trying to do too much too soon. I have had two abdominal surgeries and it takes a few weeks to get back on your feet. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but a small pillow held against your abdomen helps a lot when you are getting up and down. Also if you laugh or cough, it helps to put pressure on your abdomen and helps with the pain.

Good luck and take it easy,

Angel hugs to Ms. S.:
So sorry about your problem. It seems to be that you need more research, like talk to Dr. Site I go to is "women to Women",which is 2 women doctors on line. I had an infection years ago which wiped out one ovary and a pc. of intestine about a foot long. My cut was same as yours. From belly to right above the bone. Pain left me after stay in hospital. Then there was a hernia at site. Maybe you should consider hernia as a complication. Anyway God Bless.

This doesn't sound right. See your doctor in the morning. Check your info sheets on this surgery and keep a close eye out for symptoms of complications.

After just 3 days post-surgery, you probably should not have been up and about like that. Trying to work your body harder than it can handle will not only prolong the uncomfortable aspects of healing, but could be very dangerous. Keep off your feet as much as possible. Skip the church services, don't carry anything heavy...and see that doctor ASAP. Unbearable pain in spite of heavy pain meds does not sound right.

Be willing to go to the ER if you're feeling that something's not right. It really doesn't sound right, to me, but I don't know the first thing about hysterectomy post-op.

I think you are trying to do too much too soon, hun. I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago (I had a bikini cut) and I wasn't moving from the couch much after 4 days, much less trying to go anywhere. I was in alot of pain. I think you should take it easy and try to rest and heal as much as possible. You will feel better before you are completely healed but try to remember just because you feel better, you shouldn't push it and try to do too much. My doctor advised me not to do things like sweeping and mopping my floors until about 4 weeks after surgery.
I second what someone else said about checking out www.hystersisters.com It's a wonderful message board with alot of helpful advice.
As for the swelling...that will take some time. Mine didn't go completely back down until about a month after my surgery.

You need to see your doctor ASAP! A few years ago, the hospital I worked out had a patient come in where she had a C-section and the doctor left an instrument inside of her. Our OB department had to go in and get it out, not to mention treat her for the infection she developed. Hopefully, that isn't what happened to you, but you need to have your doctor check to make sure. That kind of pain while taking pain medication means that something is wrong and you need to get it checked out as soon as possible.

1 / 3