How to Treat a Cut on Toddler's Face?

Hi Moms,
My 15 month old fell and got a fairly deep cut by her eyebrow. I know you're supposed to cover the wound with antibiotic ointment and a bandage, but since she's always rubbing her eyes, the bandage wouldn't stay on, plus I was afraid she'd pull it off, try to eat it and choke on it. So I put her to bed with just some antibiotic ointment but she probably won't be able to keep her hands away when she's awake.

To avoid both scarring and infection, what's the best way to treat this wound until it heals? I've heard of the liquid bandage that forms a seal over the cut. Does this work? Can you use it over Neosporin? What else can I do? Thank you in advance.

You can call the doctor and get an RX that is ok if it goes in the eye. My daughter had fallen and cut above eyebrow also and we were at ENT for something else and he gave me an RX that really helped. I was not afraid to put it on her eye or get bacitracin in her eye. This worked for her. Also leaving it exposed was fine.

My friend used Mederma for Kids when her toddler cut his eyebrow. I don't notice a scar when I look at him.
http://www.medermaforkids.com/

If it is a really deep cut, you should probably take her in to the ER to get stitches. But if it's not that bad, you can just put steri strips on it. Don't use the liquid bandage! It stings terribly even for me and I can't imagine how much it would hurt a baby. It's basically like glue and smells really bad too. Buy some steri strips to place over the cut. They lay flat on the skin and are much harder to pull off than a band aid. You can use neosporin too. Just make sure to clean the cut really well with some hydrogen peroxide before you put on the steri strips.

As long as the wound isn't too old, you can take her to the doctor asap and they can close it with surgical glue. Since it's her face, I'd take no chances with it! Do not put liquid bandage on it, as they won't be able to surgical glue it if you do.

What about sueter tape? I'm probably misspelling that. But, it's the tape hospitals use when you've had surgery done on magnified level, so the cut is very small. Rather than using stitches, they'll hold it shut with these tiny, clear pieces of tape...sueter (sew-cher is how it sounds). That would keep her from messing with it, and keep it held together.

Not sure why you didn't take her to the doctor if the cut was that deep to see if she needed a stitch, especially if it was on her face. A wound cannot be stitched after 24 hours as it starts to heal itself & can cause infection if stitched too late. I just had stitches in my finger & was told this. Supposedly they sell those steri-strips they use in the hospital to seal wounds. Ask your pharmacist. Besides keeping the ointment on, you need to keep the wound dry for a little while during the day & exposed to air. It will help it heal. Good luck.

If it has been longer than 24 hours, stitches would not be an option. Steri-strips are the next best thing, to help the wound close and heal. They keep dirt and germs away, and are not easily removed by a toddler. To make sure they are done right, I'd take her to the doctor. Have her doctor clean the wound and apply them. Once it heals, apply Mederma for Kids religiously every day. My daughter had a nasty cut under her eye (very sensitive tissue area) and I used the Mederma. She has absolutely no scar. Good luck!

http://www.medermaforkids.com/

I have used liquid band-aides for finger cuts...and you would just spray it on(I think it was a green brand, not band-aide brand) it worked great but it did sting when you put it on...not to mention I wouldn'y spray anything by her eyes(I know they make other kinds but I haven't tried them, so I can't vouch for them)...I would just make sure you wash it and keep it dry(and if it gets red or infected looking call the peditrician for an antibiotic)...and as far as scaring...just make sure you use sunscreen over it once it heals.

Have you tried using those little round band-aids? They usually come in the combo packs. I used them for my daughter (with a topical ointment) when she cut herself right between the eyebrows (same age). If you use the real band-aid brand, it's very sticky and shouldn't come off too easily. Of course if the cut is too big, they won't work. But you could just cut a regular sized band-aid down a bit so she won't have as much to pick at.

1 / 3