How to Start a Gluten Free Diet

Hi - My poor son (6 years old - going on 7) has bee having digestive "issues" since he was about 2. For a while I had him going to a Pediatric Gastro to find out why he suddenly went from producing stools normally to being completely constipated and in extreme discomfort. All they did was to put him on Miralax....at first that was supposed to be a 6 month treatment....then 1 year....3 Years later we got him completely off of it and worked hard at getting him a better diet with increased fiber, ect. Things seemed good. For a few months now he has almost the opposite symtoms. His stomach hurts him on a regular basis. It wakes him up at night multiple times. I feel like he spends half of his day in the restroom - either using it or trying to. SO......I'm wondering if perhaps this might be a gluten intolerance. I have read enough to know that I need to have him tested BEFORE I make any changes to his diet. I will make that appointment right away. In the meantime I would like to gather as much information as I can about Gluten intolerance (sensitivity) and gluten free diets. Any information you could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

Google Celiac disease
Read Wheat Belly
Read Dr. Green's book about Celiac Disease (google Dr. Green and Celiac to find the book)
Read Elisabeth Hasselberg's book about Celiac disease

Celiac disease is not a gluten sensitivity - it is an autoimmune disease that cause an inflammatory reaction when gluten is ingested. That needs to be ruled out before calling it a gluten sensitivity. Either way reading about celiac will help even if it is just sensitivity.

Living without is a good magazine as well as Gluten free Living

If your son is hurting, I would take it out of his diet immediately. If that is the culprit, who needs a damn test to prove it. What is the test going to say that would make a difference?

http://glutenintoleranceschool.com/what-is-gluten/

We took my son off of gluten. He would tell me all the time that his tummy hurts. Once I took him off.. we went 4 days with no direct gluten, then it was thanksgiving. Those wonderful cresent rolls, too tempting and I had my back turned for 30 seconds. He had 1 1/2 on his plate (yep he at 1/2 before I could even say NO). I let it go, because our reason for doing this was to help him control his behaviros. 2 hrs later his stomach hurt. 5 months later, I have not bothered with testing becuase I don't care what the test says, I just keep him gluten free.

This site here can help once you embark..

http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/

Good luck and I hope he gets the relieve he deserves.

Google Celiac disease
Read Wheat Belly

My little girl is gluten free and the best thing to do is stop gluten cold turkey and be gluten free for 2 months and see what happens. You can even give him a tiny bit. It is all or nothing with a gluten issue. Hope he is able to find some relief. The best listen free flower is pamala's.

Here are some excellent books on my shelf having to do with gluten and the gluten-free diet/life:

Gluten-free girl by Shauna James Ahern

Celiac Disease: A Guide to LIving with Gluten Intolerance by Slyvia Llewelyn Bower

Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic by Peter H.R. Green, MD

A Patient-Expert Walks You Through Everything You Need to Learn and Do The First Year: Celiac Disease and Living Gluten-Free: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed by Jules E. Dowler Shephard

The Gluten Connection: How Gluten Sensitivity May Be Sabotaging Your Health--And What You Can Do to Take Control Now by Shari Lieberman

Recognizing Celiac Disease: Signs, Symptoms, Associated Disorders & Complications by Cleo J. Libonati

All of these books were excellent. I highly recommend them to everyone.

Another book I am going to be adding to my bookshelf is Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD, which talks about what the current wheat is like that we consume and why it's making us sick. It's gotten excellent reviews.

I am still boggled as to why people believe we NEED wheat or gluten in our diet. You should read "wheat belly" and the plethora of other books and articles addressing wheat and its unhealthiness and unecessary addition to the American diet.

I would eliminate the wheat/gluten from his diet immediately. Fearing he may lose the fiber? Add a few dates and some other high fiber items to his diet. Easy fix!

Also, please understand that his test can come back negative for celiac and he STILL have an intollerance to wheat or gluten. That is what happened to me, and eliminating wheat/gluten was the best decision I have ever made. The stuff messes us up! Read about it and help your little guy!!Talk to your doc and see if he or she can recommend a nutritionist to help you. Good luck! I know his pain!

Good thinking to have him tested before changes to his diet. For school purposes and making sure they can accomodate him he would need an actual diagnosis so they don't penalize him for not doing certain things - play doh (made with wheat flour), cooking demo days etc. If he does not have a medical diagnosis they would not give him an IHCP or 504 plan. Good luck! Hope it works out for you!

Before you have him tested, don't just keep his diet as is, up his gluten intake. Give him at least one slice of bread every day for two weeks or more. That will ensure that it's in his system good.

For intestinal pain relief, I drink a little aloe vera juice. It takes immediate effect.

Regarding the diet, it really can be quite simple depending on how you view food. Keep your foods as simple as possible--no laundry list of ingredients and little to no processing. Sauces have to be picked apart. If he eats oatmeal, get gluten free. The test results and how bad he feels will help determine how strict his diet needs to be. (A positive result has more medical implications than not.)In the beginning, make it very strict for at least one month. Then, incorporate maybe one item every other week or so, no more often than that and maybe not even that often. It should not be a regular part of the diet. I have found that regular crust on pizza brings almost immediate discomfort, but thin crust gives me none. Same with cake or wheat bread versus a croissant. Now, I can't tell you the damage that it may be doing internally, but it doesn't hurt.

Have you checked him for Celiac disease? My son has gone through a lot of abdominal pain and digestive issues since he was maybe 4. Now he's 14 and he's on a strict gluten free diet. Thank God he's not experiencing the pain he used to have as a little boy. The problem with celiac people is that they have to be on a gluten free diet for a life time. There's no medication involved, it's just the diet. Their intestines cannot absorb the wheat and the gluten found in most of our food. And if it goes unnoticed, it will affect their growth in the long run. We got used to the gluten free diet. Thankfully there are a lot of foods out there that are gluten free. It's not as bad as it sounds! Good luck, I hope your little one feels better.
Lana

1 / 3