How to Prevent Sunburn Around Eyes

OK my 3.5 yr old just received her 1st sunburn, mostly under her eyes, where I can't apply sunscreen :( We were at the beach and she was on a boogie board, wearing a hat, yet got burned from the reflection. How do you avoid this? I was thinking the thick white zinc stuff, I have never used it, so not familiar with how it works really, would it help in this type of situation? Or what would you recommend? Thanks Moms!!

I always just put sunscreen under eyes. Always have, since I was a kid myself. (So.Cal, FL, Mesoamerica, Middle East, swipe and on). Just shut my eyes and rubbed it all over my face.

A physical sublock like zinc oxide is best...for your health as well. I would also get her a pair of well fit sunglasses to protect her retina from UVA/B radiation. We should all be wearing sunglasses all of the time, especially those with light colored eyes.

Eating more fruits and veggies with carotinoids is another great natural sunscreen. I use a food based supplement and although I can get pink in the sun, I can be out far longer and not get burned any more. This supplement comes in a delicious soft chewable form. Feel free to contact me for more info. Good luck, be well. D.
PS. For a great database on safe sunscreens, go to www.ewg.org.

We use Neutrogena Wet Skin Kids for the body, and the Neutrogena Baby Pure and Free stick for the face and ears- even under the eyes and eyebrows.

Have you tried the Coppertone Kids Sunscreen Stick? It's like Chapstick--I put it right under my sons eyes. I think it is SPF 50.

I use Sport Performance Sunscreen stick. I got it at Wal Mart. It looks like a glue stick that is for faces. It's great b/c it's not greasy and it's easy to apply w/out fear of getting it in your eyes. I chose the Sport one b/c it's very sweat and water proof. I apply it on my face and my son's face, including under our eyes. We are both very fair skinned. It's perfect for the face!!!

We use Neutrogena Pure and Free Baby. It doesnt burn the eyes. I put it under my kids eyes and on their eyelids.

Sunglasses.
They have them for kids/toddlers.
With a head strap.

I have found the best way is to get the sunscreen in a stick. Makes it so very easy to get under the eyes!

1 / 3