How Old for Horror Movies?

Had a though today. I always let my 10 and 11 year olds watch R movies as long as they are horror movies that they are watch with there father and I. I have for about 2 years. Is that young? How old will\did you start allowing R horror movies?

Even as an adult I find horror movies unattractive. I say this because they literally can affect my dreams. If I want to have a good night sleep I avoid them. I have five children aging from 3 to 15. I never let them watch anything over the top, its personal preference to gage when you think something might be a little much but I tend to ere on the side of caution. I would feel bad if my three year old had a nightmare that was triggered from the movie she watched.

We did not until they were teens. Now, I personally know that my SD saw movies that were not appropriate for her because the person she was with was too lazy to get tickets to another movie for those who were too young for the one others wanted to see.

I also think it's personal per kid. There are Disney movies that scare my child and I respect that some things are just too intense, no matter the rating. As funny as Shaun of the Dead is to me, NO WAY would I let my 11 yr old watch it.

FWIW, friend said he wishes his parents had not allowed so many scary movies as a child, as they gave him nightmares and creepy thoughts for years.

I think it depends on the kid and type of horror movie. My daughter (5) loves Captain Jack and has seen all the movies with her dad and me. She also likes the mummy movie with Brendon Frasier. She won't watch Harry Potter movies except the first two. I will not let her watch anything with extreme violence and/or lots of blood.

My mom used to go to the drive-in movies when I was a kid and watch the horror movies. She thought my brother, sister and I were sleeping but we liked to watch them too.

How bad are the horror movies you let them watch? Are they the Hitchcock variety, where you hear the terrible deed, but don't see gore, or are you letting them watch all the gory, nasty stuff that's out there these days?

Where do you draw a line?

These horror movies that are rated R are not supposed to be for kids your children's ages.

Please think about what's best for the kids instead of what your husband and you enjoy watching. There are things we need to give up for our kids' sakes, at least in terms of what we expose them to. You can watch these movies by yourselves after they go off to bed.

um . .
YES that is WAY young. 17-18 for these movies for me showing them to them, when they are out of my control. I don't know what their friends will do with them as teenagers.
I wont even watch those movies. Kids many times have trouble knowing the line between it's just a movie and it's going to happen to me in real life.
And kids should NOT be watching rated R movies much less horror movies.
That's opening them up for a whole host of problems. Their heads do not need to be filled with that stuff.

My daughter saw Chucky when she was 7 - it took her about 3 months to be able to hold a doll again...and that was by mistake - I didn't show it to her...

My boys saw Alien - they are 9 and 11 - and they were fine...but they are boys too and new that it was a movie...

What I don't get - and please don't take this wrong - you will let your children watch "R" rated movies, but you will NOT let your 11 year old daughter go to a school sponsored dance...this is odd to me.

Movies are rated R for a reason. I believe 10 and 11 is way to young. Why expose them to that stuff earlier than you need to?

If you want my honest opinion I am shocked that you would allow a 10 and 11 year old to watch R rated horror movies. I hope that doesn't come off as rude but that is my honest reaction. Shocked.
Horror movies are SO graphically, disgustingly violent these days, so much worse than when I was younger (and I'm only 30). It's like the violence is celebrated or something. It's bizarre and disturbing.
My opinion is that people become desensitized seeing all this violence. Seeing people suffer and die has become a form of entertainment. We might as well be Romans watching gladiators fight to the death in the arena. It's sick.
So yeah this is a hot button issue for me....in my home my children will not watch those movies, period. They can watch that trash once they move out, but I won't have it in my home.

My boys didn't watch "horror" movies until they were in high school. They are now 23 and 27 (28 at the end of this month).

I was told to look at other/previous posts when I first started here a few weeks ago. So your post has me confused. It's like you are a contradiction.

Your husband wants to take kids to an anime function but refuses to let her attend a school dance. You own a dance studio and select costumes that are 5 INCHES from the waist...yet your kids watch "R" rated movies... Do you see the contradictions here? You are allowing an 10 year old call the shots on an already paid birthday party - while I sympathize that her best friend won't be able to skate - she can still participate...

If you take them away now - you will only confuse your children. At 10 and 11 many kids have a VERY hard time distinguishing reality from a movie...and some - if not mature - don't get that dead in a movie doesn't mean dead in real life..and the swearing, nudity and sex that happens in "R" movies are only setting an example...

My advice is to watch the movie before the kids do so you can prepare them for what they will see and remind them it's a movie...otherwise - I would not show horror movies to children under the age of 17.

I'm 37 and I'm still not ready for horror flicks!

1 / 3