Showed the Hunger Games?!?!

My daughter went to a friend's for a sleepover. She has been there before and I like the mom. She's a bit scattered but she is pretty conscientious.

But today I found out from my daughter that they all watched the Hunger Games! I was shocked and angry. The Mom was kind of apologetic but she kept saying it wasn't gory.

I have mot seen the movie but have been warned repeatedly about it.... My daughter is ten. How angry should I be from those of you who saw it??

I haven't seen the movie but the books were fantastic. The issue here isn't The Hunger Games at all. The mom shouldn't have showed a group of 10 year olds a pg-13 movie without the consent of the rest of the parents.

My 3,8 & 11 year olds all loved it and want to see it again. My husband and I loved it as well.
It is very well done. The social commentary is striking and wasn't lost on my kids. We had a very intelligent and educational conversation about it.
It wasn't gory at all.

My 4 year old watches it almost everyday she loves it so much. There are a few parts that are a little gory but it's not really more than is shown on the news now a days.

You might want to see it before you judge how angry you will be. Heck, you might even *like* it! :)

The movie is rated PG-13. It is NOT appropriate for a 10 year old. My husband tried to talk me into watching this movie and I told him no way - I'm a more sensitive person. He went ahead and watched it himself and then told me that I was right and should NEVER watch it. It's way too disturbing and I would not allow your daughter over at this girl's house again unsupervised. You just don;t show PG-13 movies to kids under 13 without their parents OK. This is common sense. Yes, there are some on here who let their kids watch stuff they are too young for, but that doesn't mean they should show it for all kids that age. You are the mom and you should get to make these choices. Also, talk to your daughter. Let her know what ratings/types of movies she shouldn't view so she can learn to stand up and say - No guys, I don't want to watch this. My daughter is also ten and we've had talks about stuff like this and she has, on a couple of occasions, had to walk away from what others were watching while at a friend/cousins house. 99% of the time, they end up walking away, too and they find something else to do.

It wasn't gory at all.

My DD is 10. I'd be irritated not to have been asked first, but not furious. My DD has read the book first, and I felt was mature enough to see the movie (we watched it at home with her). My DD was not upset emotionally at all. No bad dreams, etc. One of her friends however, had to stop reading the book because the killing was too much for her to handle. It's a judgment call each parent should have the right to make for their own child, and being any PG-13 movie, that Mom should have Ok'd that with you before letting them watch it. Next time she goes to that friend's house, I would be very clear about movies.

My DD has a friend who's parents (DD told me) allow her to watch any rated R movie she wants. I was skeptical that this was actually true, but when I dropped her off for a sleepover I told her Mom my DD wasn't allowed to watch rated R movies. I just about died when DD's friend looked crushed and Mom addressed her daughter that she needs to go along with our rule. So at least they were respectful to me on that point, but I am STILL floored that their DD can watch whatever she wants, period. You can't count on other families to share the same standards that you have, you have to have that conversation before the sleepover. It's easier when kids are younger, but there is SO much variation on parental allowances and maturity in the tween years.

at 10 not very. If my children were 10 that is the age that i would let them watch it. Is your daughter traumatized?

The whole premise of the hunger games is disturbing to me....but I have seen the movie and they did a heck of a job keeping gore out of it. It was meant for younger audiences like 10 year olds. We saw the making of the film and they described how they worked the deadliest scenes so it showed as little as possible as far as blood and gore. It was really well done I have to say...

Wow! I must admit I am super surprised to read most of the comments here. My oldest daughter is eight and I can't imagine allowing her to watch this movie when she's ten. I have read the book and really enjoyed the movie but people killing other people is not something I would want my daughter to watch and I would be very upset if another parent allowed my child to watch it without asking me first. It is a violent movie with some disturbing images (and a disturbing premise for that matter). I am sure I am on the prudish end of things but I really feel that kids are exposed to too many mature themes too young. They need to be KIDS.

What's done is done though so I would make sure to discuss the movie with your daughter and also let the mother know that you wish she would have discussed this idea with you first and to consult you in the future. Good luck! I too would be very upset.

1 / 3