How Much Whole Milk Should a 14 Month Old Have?

Hi Moms - Happy New Year!
Can anyone tell me how much milk my 14 month old should have? Currently, I'm still giving him 3 (8 oz) bottles of milk. My friend just took her daughter to her 1year check-up and her doc told her that at max, she should be getting 18 oz of milk per day. My ped. never said anything about cutting back. Am I giving my son too much milk? Also, should he be drinking his milk out of a sippy cup by now?

The guideline is 16-24 ounces of milk per day. More than 24 ounces puts them at risk for iron deficiency.

I was told & have read, that after one year of age, a child should be put on low-fat or skim milk because their bodies no longer need the fat from milk.

As far as the bottle/sippy cup issue, kids are all so different. What worked for me was to create (over time) specific times when your child would get the bottle. Eliminate the bottle times over a period of days or weeks.

Take good care.

My daughter's pediatrician told me to give her a sippy cup full of milk at each meal. What she drinks is what she drinks. My daughter is 15 months old, and some days she drinks 3 full cups, and other days she barely finishes one. It will depend on her mood, what she is eating and what else is going on around her. I hope that helps!!

I always gave my kids as much milk as they wanted and have never had a problem. I always gave milk with each meal and then in between they could have juice, water, or milk. My sister-in-law allowed her kids limited amounts of milk so when they came to my house they would drink as much milk as they could. The way I see it is if you hold it from them they will want it more, but if it isn't any big deal then they will decide for themselves and have more of a variety.
My pediatrician was big on the 2 percent milk but I gave my kids whole milk because a friend of mine, who is a doctor as well, told me you loose nutrients when you give them anything less than whole milk. Anyway my kids are all fine, the oldest being 26. If I were you I would let your son decide how much milk he wants and trust me he will let you know if he doesn't want it.
Hugs,

At my son's one year visit, our doctor said he should be drinking 14 to 15 oz, no more than 15. I give him 2 bottles with 7 to 7 1/2 oz each (one in the morning and one at night). I also give him one yogurt a day as well. And I only feed my son organic.

Milk is a stressor to the body. Humans are the only species that continue to drink milk after weaning. Milk is a major cause of inflammation and ear infections. It's not as clean and wholesome as the dairy industry would have you believe. Paste this link together and watch please so as not be brainwashed by doctors and advertising:

http://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=tYpafipJyDE

Do a search on calcium-rich foods. We lose calcium when the body is acidic since it is pulled out of storage to buffer the pH in the blood so be sure to avoid acid-forming foods. The worst acid foods are: pork, pop (please don't even let your child taste it--if they don't have it when small they will seldom acquire a taste for it later), sugar, white flour (better to use whole grains like brown rice or millet than wheat), dairy. Veggies & fruits are alkaline.

Occasional meat is okay but it shouldn't be a main part of the diet. The China Study is an interesting book if you want to learn more about it or just start Googling. Look for things that are backed up with statistics and not from groups that stand to profit from sales of their food.

Our bodies create protein from amino acids. When we eat protein-rich foods our bodies need to break the protein down into amino acids so it's a waste of the body's energy and enzymes in the digestive system (ever notice how most adults have digestive problems?).

Hope this isn't too shocking for you! I only wish I had known all this 16 years ago. It would have saved a lot of illness.

yes, lower the intake of milk and up the intake of solids and have the kid start with water as well.

Hi J., I rely on the following website - http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/ It is very helpful and has sample menus and amounts that your toddler should be getting.

1 / 3