How Much Milk Does a 16 Month Old Need?

I have 16 month old triplet boys. They are still drinking out of a bottle. I have been have difficulty getting them to learn to hold their own bottle, let alone get used to useing a sippy cup. I attributed this to their prematurity, born 2 months early, but I think they should have caught up by now. Anyway, my husband and I feed them 3 meals a day, with an 8 ounce bottle of whole milk after each meal. Plus another bottle before bed, and if they wake up at night we offer more milk. I think that during the day we don't need to give them so much milk. They don't have to finish their bottles. If they take a few ounces, then that's OK. We can offer more later. But my husband wants them to finish or get down to about 2 ounces. What is correct? How much milk do they need?

Well, I called their Dr. and he told me 16 oz. of milk at a minimum, and that's if they aren't eating that well...so they won't be filled up on milk, and 32 oz. at a max. if they are eating well. So, it turns out that what my husband and I are doing was right all along. We know our babies, and we trust their Dr. He is a specialist in neonatology as well, so he had tremendous experience with preemies, which of course my boys were.

hi,
Do you really want to start enforcing food intake now?

Also what kind of milk? If you are giving them homogenized, pasterized milk please go to WestonPrice Foundation and get info on why they may not want to drink this, and why you may want them to & to re think this"food" option. Maybe try them on barley milk- easier to digest and so much better for them.
Best of luck,k

D.,
Congrats first of all on the triplet boys! Wow! I have twin boys and couldn't imagine 3 of them.
On the milk thing, I was told at 14 months that they were to only have 2 cups a day of milk or it would cause them iron defiency. So the pediatrician recommended a cup in the morning, in a bottle or sippy cup, and one before bed.
I hope this helps.
Enjoy them, they grow up way too fast.

Congrats on keeping it together with triplets!

How much milk do they need? None. Cows milk is for baby cows just like our breast milk is for human babies. The proteins, etc are not correctly balanced for a human diet. Confused as the charts say you need milk? Look at the back of the charts or the bottom, see who makes them, the dairy council. Hmmmmmmmm makes you think.
Dairy is what causes most illness, allergies, etc. It creates cancers, tumors, growths, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, obesity, constipation, acne, arthritis, anemia, ADD, Autism, depression, kidney stones and even diabetes. Check out a site: www.notmilk.com Concerned about calcium? There are many many healthy ways to get calcium that is not going to destroy your body. Sesame seeds (give your sons some beans whipped in a blender with some tahini and a bit of sea salt and lemon juice they get protein and calcium and vit c all in one. Here is an interesting link:
http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/calcium.htm
other natural sources of calcium are collards, tofu, orange juice, bok choy, broccoli and almonds (think almond butter).

I agree with the mom that said the answer to how much cow's milk a baby human NEEDS equals zero. Humans are the only animal who drinks milk past weaning, and the only animal that drinks another animal's milk. I don't think there is anything horribly wrong with cow's milk-- I just don't find it necessary to stress over how much your child drinks. My daughter drinks zero, my oldest son only drinks chocolate milk, and my youngest only drinks a bit of it occasionaly and sometimes with cereal. My husband and I drink none. We are just not a big milk drinking family and just never have been. As long as you offer a well balanced diet from all of the food groups, you don't need to stress about milk intake at all. As a matter of fact, they should start drinking more water. They need to stay hydrated in the Florida heat, and they need water for zillions of other reasons to keep their bodies healthy.

D.,
I hope this helps.
Enjoy them, they grow up way too fast.

Milk is usually considered to be very good for you, and it is a good source of protein, fat, and calcium, at least for those children who don't have a milk protein allergy or lactose intolerance. But you can get too much of a good thing.

Infants and toddlers who drink much more than 16-24 ounces of milk each day can have problems with constipation, but the biggest problem is usually all of the extra calories that they are getting from the milk they are drinking. These extra calories usually either cause a child to be full and not want to eat many other nutritious foods and become underweight, or if they are still eating well, then all of the extra calories can lead to their becoming overweight.

Consider that he is drinking 32 to 48 ounces of milk each day, which at 19 calories per ounce, means that he is getting about 600 to 900 calories just from milk. And that is 1/2 to 2/3 of the estimated 1300 calories that a toddler needs each day.

Plus if your child also drinks a lot of juice, he could be getting almost all of the calories he needs from the milk and juice he is drinking, even though that wouldn't provide him with the right mix of fat, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals.

Another big problem is that toddlers who drink too much milk are often at risk for iron deficiency anemia. This is usually because milk doesn't have any iron in it, and because if they fill up on milk, then they don't eat many other foods with iron either.

I recently saw a toddler with severe iron deficiency anemia, who ended up requiring a blood transfusion, and the problem ended up being that he was drinking too much milk and not eating enough healthy foods.

(Taken from Vincent Iannelli, M.D.)

Considering that they are 16 months old AND eating solid meals, I'm wondering why your husband feels they MUST drink more milk than they want. Does anyone eat or drink more of anything once they are full? At 16 months of age, your babies can tell the difference between being full and thirsty ~~ or not. Let your babies decide if they want more milk. IF they want more, they will drink. I don't have any experience with premature babies but I'd say they should be on a sippy cup and not a bottle, regardless of whether or not they were born premature. They will learn if you take the time to teach them so begin encouraging it now. Be patient and they will learn.

And as for your husband, ask him to eat one more bite once he is full and that should be enough to convince him that his sons know when they are full too. Also, as for getting up during the night, I would not offer milk during the night at all. At 16 months, they should be sleeping through the night and IF they wake up during the night, they should be offered water only. And, once they are accustomed to the sippy cup, I'd offer that water in a sippy cup so they will have nothing exciting to look forward to during the night...and that alone should encourage them to sleep through the night.

From what I remember when my daughter was that age, it's 16 - 20 ounces a day. Good luck!!

They will stop when they're full. You shouldn't give them milk when they wake up at night or they'll get used to it and then that's the only way they'll fall back asleep. Better to let them go back to bed without anything so they can be extra hungry in the morning and eat more food and less milk. Too much milk isn't good.

I think each baby is different so it is difficult to say how much they 'should' be getting. By the time my dd was 16 months old she was having an 8oz sippy of milk with breakfast plus milk in her cereal or oat meal, and an 8oz sippy with her evening meal. From about 5 months old I only every gave her her milk with her evening meal never one before bed..

V.

Age 12-24 months: 16 ounces minimum, 20 ounces max. Sounds like you are giving them a bit much. I would cut out the nighttime bottles altogether, and cut back to two bottles during the day. Don't worry about the sippies, IMO a bottle is still fine at that age.

1 / 3