How Many Wet Diapers Should My Almost 10 Mo Old Baby Have?

Right now he has about 5 sometimes 6 wet diapers per day. of course the first change in the morning is the wettest because it's from his overnight use. I am still breastfeeding my son and he has his solids, my milk has been down and he does not like formula or any other liquids I've tried, ie apple juice or water. So I am just wondering if 5 to 6 wet diapers in your opinion is enough or not, just want to make sure he is getting enough liquids. Thanks so much for your feedbacks!! I appreciate it.

in the cloth diaper community you can expect to receive an answer of needing 10-12 diapers a day.

the super absorbent gels don't always show the wet. Lots of fluids are good for the body.

That sounds about right to me, but a quick call to your pediatrician might settle your mind. My daughter is 14 months, and went down to about 5 or 6 wet diapers/day around 10 months. She was also breastfed at that point with solid meals/snacks and she did drink water in sippy cups. As far as your son not liking other liquids, I'd say just be perisistent in offering water in cups at every meal. You might have to try several different types to find one he likes. Eventually, he'll get the hang of it. After 2 kids (my older is 3), I've learned it often takes much longer than you'd think for them to get used to something new - especially drinks. We just went through the struggle of changing my 14m over to milk in cups from breastmilk, and the whole process took about 2-3 months! She "hated" milk at first, and would throw it, refuse it...the works. But through simply persistently offering and giving positive reinforcement when she took sips (clapping, cheering), she now drinks a cup of milk at every meal. Good luck!

Hi!
First of all, congratulations on still nursing your baby! SO few women make it past a few weeks or maybe a few months. What an incredible gift you are giving your child!

I think everything sounds just fine to me. Keep in mind too, that if you're using disposable diapers, they mask wetness very well!

Here's a quick little "cheat sheet" from KellyMom.com to tell you the # of diapers you should expect from your baby. Just remember, every baby is different!

Keep up the awesome work!
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

5-6 wet diapers a day is more than enough. It sounds like he is doing great. You can also try giving him a sippy cup with water whenever he eats food. I did that with my son and he is an avid water drinker now.

A Mother's Boutique
Maternity & Breastfeeding clothing, Nursing Bras, Breast Pumps, Slings and Accessories.
MamaSource members save 10% off their first order (excluding breastpumps) with coupon MAMASOURCE
http://www.mothersboutique.com

I was going through 4-6 with my daughter per day on average.

I would try soy milk and see if he likes that. try vanilla soy. my son did not care for whole milk and after seven months wanted nothing to do with a bottle of formula. 5 or 6 diapers wet sounds like it is about right. try putting his liquids in a sippy cup and see if he likes it. he should be doing this instead of a bottle at this point.I hope you are feeding him some other form of calcium also such as yogurt and cheese.good luck. it sounds like he is doing well.

That can vary from child to child. With my 5 kids, each one wet differently, and pooped differntly. It was really odd with the triplets when they were babies. They all ate the same food, the same amount and at the same time and still pooped and peed different amounts, textures, times, etc. Your son sounds fine. If you have any doubts, call your pediatrician's office and ask. They'll give you the basics.

K. B
mom to 5 including triplets (turned 4 today!)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HarrisburgPAChat
Chat, events and happenings

5-6 wet diapers sounds right to me, too. I agree with checking the color of the urine. And I exclusively breastfed up through a year. I did offer water in a sippy cup throughout the day from about 6 months on. I think the Nuby cups are a good cup to start off with - they're soft. My son also didn't take a bottle, so we went right to sippy cups for whole milk at a year. He likes the Nuby with the straw. Just keep trying the cups, he'll get it.

1 / 3