How High of a Temp Before You Go to Doctor ? 8 Month Old

My daughter is at 101.6 right now should i take her to the doctor ? Thanks for all the responses i have gotten already let me be a little more specific... I took the temp under the armpit and yes she is teething, but she has also been congested and coughing for the last few days, and has also has alot of bowel movements that have varied from hard to very runny today. Probably about 6 poopy diapers already today.

Hi moms thanks for all the great advice. Yesterday afternoon her fever spiked to 102 and my 4 year old ahs a fever of 102 and diareah as well. So i took them both to a walk in clinic and sure enough they both have a stomach bug that has been going around and they both have an upper respitory infection. They are both on antibiotics and are doing much better today. Thanks again.

Don't forget to go ahead and TREAT the fever with tylenol, if she isn't allergic to it. She doesn't have to HAVE the fever at the time the doctor evaluates her. If in doubt, take her in to the doctor. They really don't mind--it is their job, after all.

It is possible that something has effected the flora in her intestine, and replacing it would be what I'd do for my crew.
I like Simplexity's bifidus for this. best,.k

i know 101 seems scary and not saying it is nothing to worry about, but that's just her body doing it's job. anything over 100, yes, give tylenol or motrin. you don't need an er visit unless the temp is over 104 though and not going down despite the baths and medicine. but you know your baby best, so trust your instinct.

Hi R.,

I'm guessing this is an anal temperature? It depends on how you take it... if you're nervous call the doctor. They likely have an answering service that will forward your concern to an on-call nurse who will call you back (quickly) and tell you what to do.

I'm sure she's fine so don't worry too much. Little ones spike fevers all the time...

What other symptoms does she have? If she's got green gunky junk coming out of her nose and she's had a fever over 100 for more than a day, I would definitely take her in. If she's teething and has no other symptoms, I would give her tylenol and see how she's doing by tomorrow. All that said, go with your gut - better safe than sorry for sure!

If the temp is 101.6 in the armpit means 102.6 orally which is the most accurate ( rectal is no longer advised) . As soon as you feel a temp like this the first thing to do is give the child a tepid bath, no covering her in blankets and plenty of fluids. If the temp doesnt go down, go to the ER cause she will be at risk of having convulsions. All they are going to do is give you Tylenol and if the temp doesnt go down , Motrin around the clock. I had exactly the same problem with my child, so everytime you have this situation just think about ways of putting the temp down first and then go to the doctor. Hope it helps for the future!:) . Looks like and infection to me, but take the temp out of the way always first and never hesitate to seek medical care if you are worried about it...Take care, Cris

I think you have to go by your own child. My son hardly ever ran a fever and when he did he was out for the count. My daughter on the other hand would have 103 and act completely normal. My son rarely got sick but when he did it was always a virus. My daughter had constant ear infections, strep, etc. I don't think my son ever had an ear infection or strep. So I would go by your child. 101.6 is not a high fever for a child, however if she is really lethargic, excessively cranky, having trouble eating or sleeping, then I would get her checked out. Most doctors won't even see children with 101.6 and will tell you to give it a day.

I was told after 100 to give them tylenol. If that doesn't lower it, then a cool bath or shower. If it still doesn't go down after several hours, or gets up to 102, then you should take her to the doctor. In the future, you should get one of those thermometers that go in the ear. If her armpit is 101, then her actual temperature is higher. Rectal or ear is the only way to get an accurate measure that isn't affected by air temperature. If the unusual bowel movements continue it could be teething (which also causes fever) or a reaction to her formula. Try a different brand. And it never hurts to have the pediatrician see her if it continues and she is obviously not feeling well.

1 / 3