How Can I Tell If C-section Incision Is Infected

I had a C-section 2 1/2 weeks ago and am still having pain at the incision area. It's a bit red which I'm assuming is because I still have tummy skin hanging over and it's rubbing the incision. I hadn't washed the area since the other day (cuz the Dr.'s said not to and I realized that they probably only meant for the first few days). This is my 2nd c-section (my first was almost 3 years ago) and I can't remember if I still had pain after 2 weeks. The pain is like a stinging kind of pain and I really feel it when I stand up. And also I haven't been very good at taking it easy (kinda hard when you're a stay-at-home mom with a toddler to take care of, luckily my mom has been helping me out)... so I don't know if I'm contributing to the pain by doing too much or not. I have a Dr.'s appt. at the end of the month but know I should go earlier if there is a problem (which I'm not sure if I have one or not).

My sound funny but, I kept a maxi pad on my incision to keep it clean & dry. I also did the hair dryer after showers.

Hi, T.:
You say that there is tummy tissue rubbing on it?
Is the incision closed?

Is there some way you can keep the tissue from rubbing the incision site?
What do you clean the incision line with?
Do you have any oozing of fluids from the site anywhere?
Just want to know.

if you have any overlap of skin or a tummy it might be staying moist causing it not to heal as quickly as you'd like it to. My midwife told me to fold a sanitary napkin length-wise and put it over the incision to absorb moisture.

Also, don't feel like you can't call your doc. That what they are paid for!

You NEED to keep the area dry... or you can get a yeast infection, from the moisture....
the nurses/Doctor at the hospital, clearly explained this to me.
I had 2 c-sections.
I never had a 'stinging' pain... or redness or oozing, with mine.

But also, you only had the surgery 2.5 weeks ago. Healing, takes 6 weeks. AND you should have had, a follow up check-up with the Doctor, to check your surgery. My follow-up check-up, post surgery, was within 2 weeks, after my surgery. Not 1 month after. For example.

You NEED to take it easy. Or you can also split your stitches, too.
AND, you just had MAJOR abdominal surgery... which a c-section is.
HOPEFULLY, your Husband is helping. Too. Not just your Mom. ????

My Doctor told me, to NOT lift anything heavier than my newborn. For example.

You should have ALSO gotten an after-care information sheet, from the hospital, about how to care for your incision... and information about what to do after surgery and per activities, and for how long etc. DID you get this information????

You ONLY had the surgery 2.5 weeks ago. You NEED NEED to take care of yourself and take it easy. You do not want to, make your recovery worse nor have your incision get infected.

I would, call your Doctor. Tell him/her, about the redness/pain and if this is normal.
I did not have redness... with mine. My incision... was sutured... not stapled.... and the external incision, on my tummy, was sealed with what is called "Steri-strips."
Remember... that there are LAYERS, internally, (which you cannot see), that had to have been sutured up. Your uterus, your abdominal wall, layers of tissue/skin etc.
So you have to.... heed to the after-care of your surgery.... and take care of your incision.
The information fact sheet, which I got from my Doctor/the hospital, explained all this. AND what to look out for, per infections etc.

all the best,
Susan

My incision did become infected. Not all symptoms are the same, but here's what happened with mine. Before I left the hospital it began oozing blood, which wasn't normal. Then, by nine days postpartum, my stomach became very itchy (it felt like the skin was still stretching, if that makes sense). I had redness over most of my abdomen. I took my temperature and I was running a fever of 101. I saw my OB the next day and yes, it was infected.

Call your OB and ask to come in. That way you can be sure, and if it is infected you can start the proper course of treatment.

Hi, T.:
Is the incision closed?

Just want to know.

Is it swollen, more raised, or oozing anything? It sounds more like normal pain and irritation from washing. The standing up pain sounds normal. My Dr. and the hospital nurses told me NOT to directly wash it for a few months. They said the water rolling down from the shower was sufficient. Otherwise, irritation might happen. They also told me to NOT put any kind of lotion directly on the incision. I think you probably are doing a bit too much. See if you can sit down a bit more, even if it's for 5 minutes here and there. Make sure you're staying VERY hydrated. That helps the muscle pain and healing. My Dr. said when the baby is out most woman don't drink as much and that really hampers the muscle healing.

Like I said, it sounds normal to me. However, I'm no Dr. You might give your Dr. a quick call and speak with a nurse or something, just to be sure.

My Doctor had me use my blow dryer on mine to make sure it was dry after a shower since I had skin hanging over. It really helped because mine did get infected, and it was a few months before it was really healed. After a shower I would lay down on the bed and my hubby would use the dryer to make sure it was dry.

It sounds a little irritated. It could be a yeast infection. I would definitely go see your doctor. The alternative of waiting is not worth it.

I have had three c-sections and have been rushed to the ER twice after being a week home from the hospital. Both times my incision became infected and it took four months each to heal. I won't scare you with the gory details (you can read previous answers from me from previous questions if you are interested) but since a c-section is major surgery, it is nothing to play around with.

Good luck and congratulations on your baby!

1 / 3