Hives!!!! - Hayden,ID

Hi ladies,

For the last 2 weeks I have been breaking out in HUGE hives all over the back of my legs, and on my butt. It is driving me crazy! I started taking Benadryl, and I was having to take it more than it was recommended, because it was not relieving the itching. Finally i broke down and went to the doctor. He prescribed Atarax, or Hydroxyzine. It has been awesome at taking away the itch, but it makes me so tired. Also, I try not to take too much of it because it is in the C category for pregnancy, (I am 33 weeks) and shows toxicity in the baby when taken in high doses. Is there anyone else who has had this problem, and how did you deal with it? Also I am wondering how long these hives will continue to break out. It's been 2 weeks already. Thanks!

Try Sarna lotion. It is a camphor/menthol lotion and works well for uncontrolled itching. You can still take the atarax if needed. You should be able to find it OTC at a drugstore.

DESITIN! It's magic -- use the real name-brand item. Works for any break-outs any of us have had at any age. I recommend to my friends for their kids (including a 7-year-old), and she was amazed. Just try it for 3 days.

I have responded to allergies with hives. One time my back broke out in hives and was very itchy while I was in a movie theatre. I slathered cortisone cream on them when I got home and they went away almost immediately. I've never had hives that lasted for more than a few hours. I get hives when I eat food to which I'm allergic. Usually internally. I know because my ears and throat itch. One dose of an antihistamine and they're gone in 15-30 minutes or so. Without an antihistamine they might last an hour. Once the allergen is gone the hives go away.

Hives do appear on the skin when something is taken internally. I've had hives from medication. The hives went away when I took Benedryl or within an hour. I've had hives from bee stings.

Did the doctor discuss with you what is possibly causing the hives? I would try eliminating anything to which you might be allergic. Since the hives are just on your legs I'm guessing the cause is external but it might not be.

Do you wear panty hose? It may be the detergent in which you wash them or even the panty hose it's self. You could be allergic to your panties or the detergent. They touch your legs as you pull them up. So do your pants or a skirt. Try using a hypoallergenic detergent for all of your clothes, sheets, towels. Don't use a fabric softener or any other additives.

You could try covering the upholstered furniture on which you sit. You may have developed an allergy to the upholstery, something that it's been treated with, or something that's brushed against it.

Use a different mild soap for bathing. Stop using all lotions.

Think about everything to which your legs and bottom come into contact and either completely eliminate it or change it.

You didn't mention applying cortisone cream. That should help if they are hives. Did the doctor confirm that they are hives? Could they be a rash or form of dermatitis?

Keep in mind when you're pregnant you can develop allergies you don't usually have. So something you've "always" done/used can cause a reaction. This is very normal - your hormones are out of balance, your body is going through rapid change.

Try to think of things that only your butt/legs are touching -- like other Moms suggested -- panty hose, your laundry detergent, fabric softener, body wash, shaving cream, it could even be your shampoo/conditioner running down your backside when you rinse....

Since you're seeing none anywhere else I would first explore things that actually touch the areas that are breaking out. Trying switching to Dreft or some other very gentle detergent. Stop using fabric softener (if you do)... Pick what you think is the most obvious culprit and try eliminating it.

Good luck, sorry you're so uncomfortable. Hopefully it in a few short weeks it will be a distant memory.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this!! Have you examined your diet? Could it be something that you are eating thats causing this? There are lots of things that it COULD be, but some examples of common foods people are allergic to are nuts, eggs, berries, mushrooms, corn, sometimes dairy. The corn, nuts and berries are famous for making allergies go wild. See if any of those could be your problem.

Also, I would bathe only with soaps for sensitive skin, use non-scented lotions, no dryer sheets, no fabric softener, and only dye free/fragrance free laundry detergent. These should all help you. Good luck and hope you get better!!!

With my first so I got PUPPP's which is a pregnancy rash it started on my belly and moved to the rest of my body. It started when I was 38 weeks pregnant but can come earlier and it didn't go away until after I gave birth. Even then I was still itching all over for about two months after. Only cold showers helped releive the itching. I would take 3-4 showers a night (I would get up in the middle of the night because it itched so bad).
Not sure if what you have is the samething I would research it and ask you doctor.

I am sooo surprised only one person mentioned PUPPS.

PLEASE go see your OB; they know all about this condition. Please don't take meds not prescribed by your OB; he/she really is the best source for anything during your pregnancy.

I'd start by changing to a "Free & Clear" laundry detergent if you haven't already. My son had problems and that was the first thing I changed. We also only use "Free" dryer sheets, no softener. The last thing we ended up changing was the TP. He was allergic to our TP.

I had a problem for a while where I would break out in hives if I got too hot. soaking in a lukewarm oatmeal bath would help. Also, aveeno makes an anti-itch cream that helped with the itching. I also took claritin, which is probably not recommended during pregnancy.

1 / 3