Hip Pain- 20 Weeks Pregnant

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and am having horrible hip pain. It mainly happens when I'm sleeping. It starts at my hip and then moves down my leg. It is mainly with my right side. Is this common? I told my doctor about it and he said it is just the hips stretching since this is our first. He didn't seem concerned at all. Does anyone know any excercises or stretches I can do to help? Or is this just part of pregnancy? I've been going to prenatal yoga, walking nightly, and working out 3 times a week. But it doesn't seem to help with the pain.

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for everyones help! I found out over the weekend that I have degenerative fibroids that is causing pain in the hips and everywhere else. They are extremely painful, but hopefully the pain will go away soon. Thanks again!

You can also try a body pillow. Mine forms a C around me, and I love it. My husband calls it the great wall of china. :)

In my opinion this is the worst part of being pregnant! I get such horrible pain and cannot even get up sometimes. The thing that has helped me the most is when I finally get out of bed I go to take my shower and before the shower I fill the tub with water (about 4 inches) as hot as I can stand it and lay on my back for a few minutes to get relief. This was suggested by my doc with my first pregnancy (on #5 now) and it works pretty well.

I've had sciatica since I was in high school and I FINALLY found something that has helped a few years ago. In fact, I don't have hip pain anymore. It's a foam roller. You can get one for $20 at Target in the workout isle. It's near the yoga mats. My original one (I've gone through 4) came with a CD, but the most one didn't have the CD. My mom has degenerative fibroids which cause pain in her hip. This has solved her issue, too. Good luck!!

Pain going down your leg could be sciatica. There's not much you can do about it, although - and this sounds odd - getting someone to massage your butt cheek might help.

Definitely see a chiropractor. I had to go to mine every week during the second half of the pregnancy, but he kept me able to walk.

Common, but oh so painful! Ask your yoga instructor about the pigeon pose. It has helped me with recurring hip pain but I know some yoga poses should be avoided by pregnant women. (at least it's not permanent!)

congrats! random, unexplained pain! welcome to pregnancy : )

Please go to a chiropractor. Your structure is starting to shift due to a growing baby. It pulls your balance off, strains your back, stretches your pelvis, and more. My chiropractor now has a massage person because so many insurances now cover massage therapy in conjunction with chiropractic care. Both will help you alot, together or separately.

My first would sit on my sciatic nerve. I found that laying on my left side would help for a little while (I don't remember why the left side is supposed to be better, but I always read to lay on the left). Not a permanent fix, but it at least gave me some relief I was working at a summer camp in the office that year, and people learned when they came to the window to look on the floor for me - that's where I usually hung out!I also slept with a body pillow between my knees at night which helped.

I remember that pain! And that was 17 years ago, that last time.

Can you swim? If you can get to a gym or place with pool (actually our outdoor pool in the neighborhood is still decent temp.) just swim and float or just float. The baby and you lifted and supported by the water feels wonderful!!! Or use a noodle and float in the pool.

Keep doing your yoga and walking, but swimming sure made a big difference for me! I swam up until a few days before each child was born. Felt great to get baby weight off the back and hips!

1 / 3