Hip Pain When Sleeping

My daughter in law is in the middle of her third trimester. She is in alot of pain in the hip area especially when trying to sleep. She works full time and has a 17 month old. She puts a pillow between her legs when she sleeps on her side. Does anyone have any other helpful suggestions?

My hips ached so bad, I couldn't put on socks, pants or underwear unless I was sitting down. I slept with a pillow under my ribcage from armpit to bottom rib and 2 pillows under my head and neck. I pushed my bed against a wall and cushioned the wall with a body pillow so that I could sleep on my side but lean partly on my back at about a 45 degree angle and I had a pillow between my legs until I found that I was more comfortable with both legs propped up. Are you imagining a pregnant woman in bed, half on her back and half on her side with a lot of pillows propping her into a banana shape? That was me. So cozy. Pregnancy can really bring out the weird in us. Think banana. Be the banana.

Hello. I had this problem severely when I was pregnant with my second child. It has to do with the SI joint in her back/tail bone area. She needs to see a doctor who will refer to her a physical therapist. They will give her exercises to strengthen the muscle and also (in my case) they will do a some semi-chiropractic methods to help get the joint back into place. Or she could see a chiropractor. I know how she feels it can be terribly painful. It might go away after she has the baby, but in my case it did not. Good luck.

I didn't get very far down the list of responses, but I definitely wanted to suggest having an appt. with a chiropractor. They can at least assess whether or not some of the pain is coming from something being out of place. It really helps sometimes. Hope all goes well.

D. Rylander
A Blessed Birth Doula Services
###-###-####

I have had hip pain with all three of my pregnancies, each time starting earlier and getting stronger. My only relief was to see my chiropractor regularly and to do a lot of the stretching he recommended for me. Before I even got out of bed I would do a child pose, then pull one leg up under my belly, followed by the other side. Next I would get on all fours and do cat/cow, arch the back on your inhale and hyperextend on your exhale. Then I would sit Indian-style (I think the PC term is Taylor-fashion now) alternating the foot that is in front and gently stretching forward. Do this throughout the day and before you get into bed. It provides a lot of relief. Also, try to do a lot of core-strengthening and sit on the floor Taylor-fashion whenever possible, rather than in a chair. This not only helps with hip pain, but opens up the pelvic area for baby to settle in the right position and prepare for delivery.

Yes there is a cure! Give birth ;-) This is how God created our bodies. It is called hip spreading and the hormone Relaxin makes our joints flexible so that our hips may open so that we can push our little miracle through. We surely are fearfully and wonderfully made!

I experienced the same thing during my pregnancy, which was alieviated some through massage, but the real relief came through chiropractic care (within 10 days I was able to sleep painfree!). Good luck!

I read a lot of the other responses... I am 8 1/2 months along with my second, and I teach yoga! But I still got hip pain at night. I started stacking three pillows vertically up and down against my headboard, then I laid another one down flat in front of them. I laid my head/neck on the three pillows and my side on the lower flat pillow. Wonders! To simplify this if it doesn't make sense, have her sleep with a pillow under her side while laying on her side with enough pillows to still support her head and neck. It seemed to align my spine. Sometimes I still need a pillow between my knees, but this works for my sore hips.

Yes, I am the queen of pregnancy hip pain! This pregnancy has been better and I swear it is because of my chiropractor.
I also did PT, however, this only helped moderately b/c of the constant changes of your pelvis while pregnant. Massage helps too, except that it was so very painful to get up after the massage! :)
I used a ice and heat pack any chance I got and it was my "tylenol"

The moment she gives birth, the pain will most likely go away.

The pain she's experiencing is probably nerve pain from the extra weight pressing on it. I had it with my first and second babies and with my second it was worse and I still have the pain when I sleep on my side. She could try using a memory foam mattress topper, those help. Also a chiropractor could provide some relief. Make sure that they have experience with pregnant women. Hope this helps!

1 / 3