Help with Runny Poop?

I don't have a constipated kid - I have a kid who is totally healthy and happy but has very thin, sometimes watery poop! My day care provider suggested more protein and dairy products like milk & cheese - didn't seem to help so he is back on his normal diet which includes a lot of whole foods, fruits & vegetables, water or milk to drink (no juice) - what am I doing wrong? He does eat meat, although he doesn't like ground beef.

I have gathered from some other responses that bananas and cheese are binding? Is there anything else I should add or something I should eliminate? It doesn't make sense to take away the fiber from fruits & vegetables, so I have been thinking about what to add to his diet. Please help!

Thanks everyone for the great information. I decided to start with probiotics, because when he was a couple months old we also went through a period where I almost put him on lactobacillus. So I followed that instinct first. He likes the chewables and it has made him better about taking his regular vitamin. We have started to have really great BMs now for a few days, but day care is also doing bananas and blueberries this week (the bananas in the stores have been better lately than a couple weeks ago). I will keep monitoring and taking notes, to have more information to discuss with his Dr. the next time we visit. I don't want to make a big deal out of it if he will just grow out of it eventually, but now I have lots of ideas to consider over the next several months. Thanks everyone!

My son was the same way. He LOVED fruit, esp. grapes, which made the matter worse. My ped told me not to worry about it.

S.-

I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 19 month old. They eat the same things for meals and snacks. They drink (generally) the same amount of water, juice, and milk. The older child has always had more of a solid poop, the younger has always had more of a runny poop. I think that sometimes it's just their body composition.

He might have a food allergy. My oldest Son had trouble with Dairy Products at that age...it made him have loose watery light colored stools...

And I wanted to contradict another poster earlier. If you choose to remove milk products from his diet you need to wait 2-4 WEEKS before reintroducing this is only for Milk, and Soy products.

From what I have been told in my Anatomy classes, probotics are very good for our digestive system (especially when we are given antibiotics so we can put the 'good' bacteria back in the colon as this is where many illnesses start - which surprised me!)

Our bodies are really meant to break food down in it's most natural form. Fresh Fruit and Veggies definitely need to stay as they pack the fiber (especially the green veggies!).

Yogurt is good to add, but if it is the kids-type yogurt, I feel a body does not get the active cultures direct to the colon/ digestive system like it should be. Some is there, but not enough (or you need to eat a ton of it and I for one hate yogurt!). I do know there are kid-friendly probotics at Good Food. They are in the refrigerated section, as you do want to look for them there~ they remain "active" this way and more 'potent'.

I also recommend checking in with your pediatrician. Make sure all is well in his digestive system.

I use probotics daily, and I have noticed a difference with my own health~

Best of luck and I hope it works out! ;)

When my daughter has issues we give her rice, toast, bananas and applesause. These should help, the only other thing is if your child has food allergies. This can cause very runny diapers. My neighbors son gets terrible diapers when he has dairy products. Just a thought!

Yogurt!! Especially any of the "new" yogurts and yogurt drinks, (Activia, etc.) have probiotics it them. They help establish good stomach bacteria on both ends of the spectrum. That being said, things like grapes do tend to cause loose stool so you may want to balance with applesauce, bananas, cheeses which are binding. Most moms have the opposite problem with little ones. You should be commended that your child eats and likes such a healthy diet!! Go mom!

My son never had formed stools. The dr.'s assurred me that nothing was wrong, just the way his digestive system was, and that it wasn't unusual. Something that as his system matured, it would get better. He didn't have pain, cramping, just unformed stools. If he had those, I would look for food allergies. I am a fan of pro-biotics though, and nutrient dense foods will be absorbed better, therefore less stool. Be forewarned though, it is a problem with potty training because they usually can't wipe themselves clean enough. I hope this helps.

Welcome to the club of parents of kids with odd poop. :-)
I also am the mom of 2 boys that to date (4yrs and 18 mo) have never had what people would call "normal" poop. No turds here...
Its not diarhea... Its just really soft.
I don't look at it as anything is WRONG... I know they are getting a healthy well balanced diet. I look at it as they are well hydrated and getting plenty of fiber. No laxatives needed here. :-)
I also do daycare and have had some kids that only had pebbles in their diapers... Or white poop... I would look at that as being odd instead of goopy poopy. To me those say they are getting too much or not enough of something... (white poop = a ton of milk)
But on the flip side, some people do have intestinal issues that cause runny poop. Most of which can not be diagnosed until the child is older and can give more of a description of how it feels.
I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it is something out of character for your child. If your mommy sense goes off then see the dr. Other wise stock up on wipes and be thankful that you will not be one of the customers of childrens suppositories.
side note: Having a child with goopy poopy makes it easier to potty train them when it comes to poop time... They do not fear going...
Good luck .:-)And my guys eat many bananas and are cheese a holics... Still goopy...Wonder what it would be like with out them?lol

Rice can also be binding. Try more rice and possibly more starchy foods in his diet.

He could have some food allergy that is causing his little digestive track just to send everything through. My #2 daughter had runny poop for the first few months after she started eating real people food. I figured out that it was the sesame seeds on the buns I was feeding her. I eliminated those and she was as good as new.
Bananas and cheese are binding and yogurt can help balance out the good/bad bacteria needed to properly absorb what he is eating. I would eliminate cow's milk, white flour and sugar, keep the juice to a minimum as that has alot of sugar and also keeps things moving maybe a bit too swiftly! If things don't change after a week I would recommend a chiropractic/nutrition group in Grosse Pointe. Go to www.ahccenter.com They can sort things out naturally and are excellent at what they do.

1 / 3