Diarrhea Lasting for Weeks Help!!!

hello and thank you to everyone. my 3 year old daughter has had diarrhea for three weeks now. we have already taken her to the dr and had a specimen tested which (after having to wait a full week for results) came back negative. she had a fever for a couple of days while waiting for the test but that went away. she is (besides the diarrhea)feeling fine and running around like normal. the dr told me to give her a 1/3 of an adult dose of citracel and not to give her any juice for a month. i have never given her much juice to begin with so i don't think the juice is the cause. i haven't started the citracel because it was looking like her stool was slowly starting to firm up and be less frequent. unfortunately it came back loose again and frequent. i am very worried that something is wrong because it is not going away. i tried explaining that to the dr but they just told me to wait and try the citracel. has anyone else experienced this? any advice is greatly appreciated! i have to go to the store now for some citracel! thank you.

It definitely sounds like an allergy to me or something similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Sometimes allergies take a while to develop so I would definitely schedule a test if you are skeptical of the answers provided by the Dr. A friend of mine had a wheat allergy that was causing serious bowel problems and gas and no one could determine the cause until she went to the allergist.

Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Have you tried cutting out dairy? Allergies can sometimes develop even if she hasn't had a problem with it before. Just a thought...

Hi Jennifer,
She could be allergic to certain foods. I have those symptoms when I'm eating wheat or other grains and only feel tired and out of sorts. My son was allergic to regular milk and had to have soy formula instead (since he wouldn't drink goats milk). I found out after my son was 7 months old, when I was barely able to function with work and him by going to a gastronologist. Hope this helps.

Jennifer:

Hello! Please thank your husband for his service and sacrifices to our country! I know it's not easy being a Navy wife, especially if your husband is out to sea!

With that being said - Bethesda Naval has an awesome Pediatric clinic - ask for a referral to their GI dept or ask for an outside referral to a Gastro-Intestinal clinic. Just let the Dr know that you are trusting your instincts.

In the mean time - yogurt, rice, apples and bananas. The BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast) diet is GREAT for diarrhea! When my kids have diarrhea lasting for more than a couple of days (no fever and otherwise acting normally) I also freeze some Gatorade in popsicle form for them suck on - ensuring their electrolytes don't get out of whack. If by chance this happens in the winter, I just give them Gatorade to drink.

Have your daughter tested for allergies - this, instead of a runny nose, watery eyes and such, could be her body's way of showing an allergy. At her age, they can do a small vile of blood and test her that way.

Everything will work out. Trust your instincts. I highly recommend the BRAT diet and Gatorade!

Again, thanks for your husband's service! I'll keep your family in my prayers. I believe everything will be good!

Something to think about is that she may have food allergies. They don't always show themselves right away. My daughter and I can't have wheat. Our symptom is bad diarrhea. I would ask her doc to test for food allergies. Even if this is not the cause its good to know.

My son had diarrhea for a long time. It was almost a month and a half and then over a year he would have it at least 4 days a week, if not more. We were going to the doctors every two weeks to have cultures done and nothing ever appeared on any of the tests that they did. Our doctor had us giving him extra starches to help firm up his stools. Things like rice, bread, and cereals. We also cut out a lot of his juice and milk and gave him mostly water to drink. We saw several different doctors during this time and every one of them said it was nothing to worry about as long as he was gaining weight and not getting dehydrated.

I just wanted to add to the last comment posted and tell you that my experience with the GI clinic at Hopkins was a positive one as well. Our daughter had a feeding tube in her stomach (g-tube) for about a year, so it wasn't diarrhea, but the doctors and nurses in that department were nice.

Also, I wanted to mention that my mom reports that I had some bouts of diarrhea that lasted for weeks when I was between one and two years old. They came and went mysteriously without any other symptoms. The doctors at the time said it was just something that some kids tend to go through, like a mystery virus. I actually ended up later having the opposite problem for awhile, but the rest of my childhood and adulthood has been normal in that regard. Still, I agree with the mom who posted that a gastroenterologist would be a good resource if this continues.

Best wishes.

Our son had this when he was about 20 months old. Our pediatrician called it toddler's diarrhea. It lasted more than a month, and finally went away without any intervention. We feel like he got sick after using our neighborhood baby pool a lot--he probably drank that gross water. He's a perfectly healthy kindergartener now. Hope this helps!

If your daughter is not sick with a bacteria or allergies, the citacel might work. I take citracel daily because I am a vegetarian who eats a high fiber diet. My BM is too loose if I don't take the citracel. A little goes a long way with those pills. It's interesting that citracel is labeled a bulk laxative but it has an opposite effect. I guess this is like fighting fire with fire. It works.

Definitely replace lost fluids and give her plenty of yogurt. Look for brands with lots of active cultures. And as someone else mentioned have her tested for wheat allergies. There is a disease called "seliac." Check it out on the internet. It isn't as awful as it sounds but it is responsible for so many different things. It is a simple blood test and once you know you have it, you can live a long happy symptom free life.

I have read that as long as your child is acting normally than most of these things are nothing to worry about (diarrhea, vomiting, fevers, etc.) but once they start affecting other aspects of your child's life, you need to get her checked.

good luck!

Jennifer,

I had this happen with both my children. The doctors found nothing. My son who was just over a year old at the time had it for 3 months and my daughter who was 3 years old had it for a month. My son was teething with 8 teeth which is partially the cause. What I did was about an 1/8th of a teaspoon of fresh minced garlic. You can get garlic at any grocery store already minced or you can buy the cloves and mince it yourself. I also was given the recommendation of fresh coconut. You can also try lactose free foods. I give my kids rice milk. They have cow's as a treat because that's all they have a McD's Have your kids been tested for allergies? I had both mine tested and my son has a sensitivity to chicken, so I don't feed it to him that much. I've not heard of giving citracel, but at this stage your desperate so it might be worth a try. Good Luck. Also, I don't know if it's still here, but under the question I asked about diarrhea a year ago there might be some info for you. Good Luck and God bless.

1 / 3