Help My Son Is Always Late for School.

Help I'm at my wits end! My son is in the first grade and is six years old. He is a wonderful boy with a great personality. However, he is not a morning person. It is impossible to get him up in the morning to get ready for school. I start by going into his room and gently calling his name and saying "good morning". I try to be really positive and cheery but after 15-20 minutes of this I get exasperated. Then once he is up its another battle to get him to dress himself eat breakfast (which I prepare), brush teeth, etc. As a consequence, we are typically 5-10 minutes late for school.

I've tried explaining to him how important it is for him to be on time and that he is responsible for his own actions. I've tried lots of things such as rewarding him for getting ready quickly, or taking away a toy when he refuses to get ready but to no avail. Any tips or "tricks" you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful and clever suggestions. I plan on implementing some of your ideas. Luckily the school year is just about over but I intend to keep him on the same schedule over the summer so that next fall will be a breeze!

I know a lot of mom's will disapprove but... you could always let him sleep in the clothes he's going to wear to school the next day. (ducks head as Dr. Spock books are thrown at her)

At six years old, I had to dress my son in his sleep then help him up to brush his teeth. I f he wet his bed, I would have to carry him to the bath and wash him. My son is now Eight years old and getting up, dressing and bathing comes easy. As time went by I nicely talked to my son and told him it was not right fro me to bathe or dress him since he was a man!

How late does he go to bed at night? That helped with my youngest. I had to make his bedtime earlier so he could get up in the morning.
Some kids(and adults) just aren't morning people. I know it's hard but I'd start getting him up earlier. Right now, it's hard to make him take resposibility for getting up on his own. He's still a little young. Good luck and maybe next year it won't be such a struggle. Make him get up this summer too, so he's used to getting up early. I have my kids on the same schedule whether or not it's summer or break for them.

This is how my parents did it: My mom would turn on the light and say, "K., get up and get ready for school." If I missed the bus or was late, I stayed home and worked all day. Compared to being at home, I loved school. It was so much easier to be there than it was to have to work all day. My dad was different. He usually got me up on the weekends; but, he would come in, turn on the lights, rip off my covers, and shout good morning!

I have 2 boys with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) and the morning and evening routines are battles due to their auditory processing issues and difficulty sequencing, like the steps needed to get out the door. I have had success with providing visuals---a list for my 8 year old, who is literate, and a storyboard with pictures for my 4 year old. I also use visual timers and rewards. It is an ongoing process and certainly not perfected because they have other issues with their SPD they contend with every day. Sandboxlearning.com is a website that provides stories where you can personalize the story for your son---it's a small fee for access to print it off or edit for one year.

Best Wishes.

I use Love and Logic. They say - Car leaves in XX minutes you can wear your clothes or take them, you can eat your breakfast or take it. I love you, I will never leave you but in XX minutes you will be in the car and we are leaving.

I have taken my child to preschool in underwear! once! I am a first grade teacher and tardiness is very frustrasting, and I explain to my students it is disrespectful.

If you want more info, or have questions just email!

Is he getting enough sleep? Have you tried an earlier bedtime? Or getting up earlier in the morning? My 7 year old daughter is and has always been a zombie in the morning unless she has had a good night of sleep.

My step daughter is the same way (and the same age). We have to practically drag her out of bed kicking and screaming and then once she is up the two year old gets ready faster than she does. I decided to try something that has worked for us and maybe it will work for you too. We made a schedule and hung it up on her bathroom door. She knows what time we have to leave for school, church, whatever and that we will leave at that time no matter what. All it took was once for her to go to church (I think) without having her hair done and the embarrassment was enough to make her think twice about dragging her feet in the morning. It sounds harsh, but its been the only way we could get her anywhere on time. If there is something on a Sat. that we need to leave for, we will tell her exactly what time we are leaving and how much time that will give her to get ready. HTH!

S.,

Is there a reason your son does not look forward to going to school?

Have you talked to your son about his feeling about school?

Just looking at a possible reason for his habitual tardiness.

With Joy, C.
Loving Connections LLC

1 / 3