Infected Earring Hole

Hello! I have had pierced ears since I was a kid, but I haven't worn earrings in about two years, except I've put them in maybe twice in that time just to see if the holes were still open - they were. Anyway, I haven't worn them in quite a while, but today I noticed one of the holes had pus and appreared to be infected somehow, which I found strange since I no longer wear earrings and haven't in a year. I've always used alcohol to clean them, but is there something else I should try? Hydrogen Peroxide, etc.? I never bought special earring/earring hole cleaner because I thought it was just alcohol anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I agree with the rest, peroxide and Neosporin maybe inserted with an earring?-I would clean twice a day.

Hi there S. J.

I have always used Peroxide to clean my ears antc. I use it to clean my drain and drain board in the kitchen.
any way Best wishes

if this isn't cleared up in a couple of days with antibiotic ointment. CALL THE DR. If you haven't worn any earrings and the earrings you put in are ones you have worn before with no problem then this could be an infection that was on your hands. In these times there are many infections that are very dangerous. Don;t play around with something that is just a copay away from being fixed

this too happens to me as an adult. No problems as a kid. Almost never wear earrings now, but still will have infected hole every so often. No idea what triggers, but generally goes away in a few days. Reappears several times a year. No other problems, so I just ignore it.

hey S., I'd go with the Hydrogen Peroxide for cleansing the earlobes. Then use only hook style earrings for awhile,even though you're not wearing earrings right now. Where them for awhile so as to aid the inner hole to heal. I suggest using hook style for the same purpose as the posts tend to fill the hole and not allow air flow. THEN most important, use only 14k or above in gold earrings OR my preference which is Sterling Silver or pure silver. White gold as long as it is more than 10 K is as good as yellow gold of the same quality.

That should heal your lobes quickly! Good luck and God Bless your new baby girl! I'll bet she's the most beautiful baby you've ever seen!

take care,

Can I just add that if you put antibiotic oinment on the post of an earring and put it in your ear, then the ointment is going into the infected part and you may have more success. I would make certain I cleaned the earrings with alcohol first.

~M.

My ears tend to get infected easily, and antibiotic ointment works well. Just apply 2x a day (morning and evening) and it should be cleared up in a few days.

When I got my cartilage pierced, they told me to clean it with H2Ocean cleaner. You can probably find it at any tattoo or piercing place or order it online. It's basically sea salt and water, and won't dry your piercing out the way alcohol can. You basically spray it on in the a.m. and p.m. By the way, I mentioned that I had used alcohol to clean my other ear piercings to the piercer and he got a horrified look on his face and said "NEVER!"
Also, if they're really infected, you can clean them in the shower with Softsoap antibacterial soap, as well as soaking a washcloth in a mixture of Epsom salts and hot water to make a hot compress to draw the infection out.
My second earring holes tend to do what yours are every time I put earrings in, whether I try it for a few days, or just every now and then. It usually goes away on its own if I don't mess with them too much. Hope this helps!

By the way, they also said to not use Neosporin or antibiotic ointment because that would make the hole grow over and close up instead of healing around the earring.

Clean the earlobe with peroxide or alcohol, then apply an antibiotic ointment for a few days.

1 / 3