Help I Can't Get Rid of the Gnats!

I have noticed little gnat like bugs in my kitchen and now it seems like I can not find anything to help get rid of them... I think they are coming out of the sink. It doesn't matter how much I clean it just doesn't seem to work. Does anyone have any advice about me getting rid of them? I am hoping it is something I can do and not have to call a professional. Any help would be great! Also I did put all of the plants outside since originally I figured that was it but it didnt work.

Wow what a response. Thank you all for your ideas. I think I will try most of them! :) They have just gotten on my last nerve.

I read in Martha Stewart and have tried this and it works!!!!In a jar put 1/2apple cider vinegar and 1/2 dish soap.Put on counter and watch.It is amazing.The gnats are drawn to it and enter in the jar and cant get out.I had them so bad from banannas from Walmart.There must have been eggs on them.Nasty.Good luck!!!!

Dear C.,

I think what you have is fruit flies. I have had them & they
are very hard to get rid of. The exterminator said it's hard
for them too. They tend to love the trash can so I would spray Raid in the bag & close it up real fast & throw it out.
They are also looking for water & I would see them in the bathroom too. After bombing my house several times I finally
just started hunting the little suckers. You have to be fast
though because I swear they have eyes in the back of their
little heads! It took me about a week but I finally got them
all. I don't know how they get into the house but they are a
pain in the butt. Good luck!

My grandmother makes a gnat trap! She takes a small bottle and a small piece of notepad paper. She rolls the paper into a cone... big opening at one end, small opening on the other. Then she puts a piece of banana in the bottle and stops up the top of the bottle with the cone.

Gnats fly in but they can't get out!! Extra bonus is that you can make it into a kid craft and the kids like looking at their gnat trap!!

get a small bowl of viniger and add just 6 or 7 drops of dishwashing liquid and leave in window seal or on counter where they are and this attracts them and kills them somehow i did it and it worked well

They are probably fruit flys. You may have brought them in w/your grocerys. Pour baking soda and vinegar down your drain. You may have to do it for several days straight, but they will die. They are nesting in your drain so it will take a while to get rid of them all.

Dear C.,

pain in the butt. Good luck!

If you have a garbage disposal, lift out the black cover that is at the sink and the drain, it will be nasty looking-brown and black stuff all over it-bleach it off...that is where the gnats are living and breeding. Clean it everyday/every other for a week then-I clean it monthly or so after that. This is what my pest control guy told me to do. Good luck those little gnats are pesty little things!

It sounds like fruit flies. What works really well is to take a small bowl of dish soap and leave it out on the counter. They are attracted to the smell and then they drown in the soap.

Also, you can pour a little bleach down the drain, it will keep them from coming out.

E.

We had the same problem some years ago, Do you have a drain in the house that doesn't get used much? If so that is your problem area, dump some bleach down that drain and then flush it out with water. I now do this about once a month and I haven't had the problem since.

Jen

I recently had the same problem. After much research, I found a solution that worked. Put vinegarr in a disposable cup, cover it with saran wrap and poke holes in the top.(not too big) The vinegar attracts them and they crawl through the holes and can't get out. Also, pour a bleach/water solution into your drains at night and close them off. Rinse very well in the morning. It may take a couple of days to get rid of all of them, but it works.

1 / 3