Help Finding Books to Read.

I am a stay at home mom that is trying to start reading more books now. I usually read at night and im wanting to know if there are other moms out there that read alot and if so what are your favorite types of books to read and if you could recommend any books for me to read. Thanks in advance.

I have been trying to read more, too. I just finished
"My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picult. Wonderful story, but very sad. Thought provoking. Also, if you are daring, you might want to try "The Other Bolyn Girl." It's very long, but a beautiful fun story. Right now I am reading "The Glass Castle" and I'll let you know how it is. I just started.

Have fun,
Jolie

I love to read! I try and read any time I can get a spare moment. My favorite author is Nora Roberts. I love everything she writes. I love her mystery books as well as her romance novels. I've also recently started reading books by Jodi Piccoult. I love Johanna Lindsay. She writes great romance novels, too. I read a lot of fiction books - I enjoy the stress relief of reading about these amazing men who do anything for their women. I also read the book Innocent Man by John Grisham, which was a real life story. Great book!

I go through stages of reading. But when I am in a streak it is hard to get me away from my book :) I personally like mystery type books. My 2 favorite authors are Patricia Cornwell & Sue Grafton. They both write books that series. If you start from the beginning you'll understand & "get to know" the characters & you'll have more than enough to look forward to reading if you start at the begininning. They both have lots of books. Both of their main characters are medical examiners.(CSI kinda stuff)

Have fun,
Jolie

If it was "one of those days" and you just want to unwind and not put too much thought into it, then I would recommend the Shopoholic book series by Sophie Kinsella- they are hilarious! (Think Bridget Jones' Diary)- in fact, there is a new one out called "Shopoholic and Baby" that will be my next purchase.

I also recommend An Italian Affair by Laura Fraser. She writes an account of her travels through Italy and the subsequent affair that comes along with it. It is less "romance" and more picturesque and great if you ever traveled or would love to travel. She is amazingly descriptive and can be quite funny.

The third is The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. If you can stay with it for the first 50 pages it becomes almost impossible to put down- you can not wait to see how it all unfolds!!
Happy Reading!
ps. thanks to the other respondents I may just have to pick up The time Travelers Wife- it seems to be a popular choice! :)

A fun series I read, it is an easy read, is the series by Janet Evanovich, the Stephanie Plum series, the first one is called one for the money, they are fun!
Mother of 2, loves to scrapbook and play volleyball
4th grade teacher

I wanted to encourage you. Do you know what the number #1 influence on children learning to read - listening to language! And the rhyme and meter in books really builds your child's brain as well as meeting some of their social emotional needs. Your local librarian is a great resource! She knows the best books. (GOODNIGHT MOON is a good one, but there are SO many more!

Reading is an adventure. Model it for your children!

I am in a book club and so far the two best books we have read were:

One Thousand White Women: The Diary of May Dodd and
The Glass Castle (A Memoir)

I also just read A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton. That was pretty good. I am always a Harry Potter fan too ;)

If you planning to read for fun I enjoy mystery and suspense novels. The authors I like most are Nelson DeMille, Tami Hoag, Richard North Patterson, and James Patterson. All of these writers are great. I have literally not been able to put their books down once I start one. They tell believable stories that don't stretch your imagination overly much. Ihope you like them.

I really am enjoying reading Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson. I don't know what your parenting style is, but it's about the trouble our boys are in today and how it's affecting America, and how important the parenting is. Really great read!

It depends what you like. There are so many types of books. Now, I like suspense books. Many will disagree with what I like, but here's my faves:

1) the Harry Potter series (no, they are not just for kids. VERY entertaining!)

2) Stephan King's "Carrie," "Pet Sematary," "The Shining."

3) Dean Koontz "Phantoms". He writes a lot of other books but this is far his best book.

1 / 3